06-21-09, 04:30 PM   #1
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

Frickin A - Where'd my keybindings go?!

UGH, I just logged in and ... wait, okay (trying to get my memory straight), I noticed something was wrong after being on for about 45 minutes or so. My keybinding for my mount didn't work and instead made me eat one of my precious Nagrand Cherries. But, when I logged on.. yeah, I wasn't mounted. I was at Aerie Peak by the Draenei guy, and I ran over to the mailbox, and a pally went by and beefed me. I hit my key to mount up, I NEVER mount any other way, and reared my mount at him and thanked him. So yeah, it worked when I logged in. I haven't been using any of my other keys cuz I'm 73 killing trolls in Jintha'alor for mageweave cloth. So right-click to attack til dead then move on. The only changes I made today... I changed OmniCC to show min:sec, and then I opened the Key Bindings menu and clicked to the bottom of the list to make keybindings for Trinket Menu. But when I clicked on the keybinding button for Trinket Menu top button, I chose Num Pad 1 and it told me I'd unbound it from a Zhunter button. So I clicked on the top button binding again and stupidly hit the Escape button to try to clear out the Num Pad 1 choice... and ugh, that cleared the Game Menu button. So I had to scroll through the absurdly unorganized list of bindings to find the Game Menu one. After I fixed that, I came out of the menu and tried to mount up... but instead of ` mounting (as it has done for years), it ate a Nagrand cherry... which is on the vertical bar to the right side of the character display area where my mount button is on the vertical bar to the left side of it. WTH? When I looked back in the Key Bindings menu, ALL of my nUI key bindings were gone! And there are some freaky random buttons bound in the Blizz action bars. Not on all the action keys, just a few here and there. I'm baffled.

Yesterday, I updated a bunch of addons and downloaded a few new ones but after that, I logged in once or twice and played for hours and my keybindings were fine. And the only addon I've updated since then is Fishing Buddy (build K... heh). Still, I'll list everything I updated and downloaded yesterday just in case. (OH, and I didn't click the box to change from general to character specific bindings... until after I realized my key bindings were gone, then I clicked to see if it had gotten switched somehow and my bindings were on the other option. But, no. *sigh*)

Updated/Downloaded Yesterday
=====================
AtlasQuest - updated
Bejeweled - updated
BuyEmAll - new (lets you type in more than one stack's worth at a vendor)
Comix - new and hilarious
EquipCompare - updated
FishingBuddy (ver 097i) - updated
Loot Filter - new
MapNotes for Atlas - new, but not using it since I don't have MapNotes... didn't realize I needed that. Heh.
nUI HUD Combo - new
nUI HUD Level - new
OmniCC - updated
Outfitter - new (used to have it for YEARS but got rid of it a few months back)
Peggle - updated (awesomely fun game)
Sell-O-Matic - updated
Titan Panel - updated

Updated Today
==========
Fishing Buddy (ver 097k) he updated twice today it seems

Any clues at all? I haven't closed WoW yet, and started looking through my nui.lua's... I've got a .bak for that character from a couple months ago. I was thinking maybe I could rename it to nui.lua and overwrite the current one? Will that fix it?

Holly

(Sorry if I'm taking you away from your Daddy/daughter time, Scott. I hope you're having a wonderful Daddy's day!)

06-21-09, 04:49 PM   #2
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've had two glitches over the last two weeks... on one occasion, in the middle of a fight, my key bindings suddenly changed to bindings I haven't used in almost two months. And today, in the middle of a PvP fight my action bars suddenly changed to settings I haven't used in over 4 months... just rearranged all of my spells in mid-fight which got me killed way fast.

I have *no* clue what this mess is all about. It's not nUI as nUI does not record nor modify what's on your action bars or your key bindings. I think there's something going on over on Bliz's side... bad data backups or something screwy.

The odd thing is both changes were exactly old configurations I had but had long since been changed by me.

~confused~

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

06-21-09, 05:50 PM   #3
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

Question

Oh goody, this is gonna be fun. =( It's been longer than 2 or 4 months since I changed my bindings... I make new bindings whenever I start a new char and fix them around as I level and get new skills/spells. But I've been 73 for like 5 months at least. Got hooked into working on achievements. Seriously, I'm at 98%... I should go get my level. *rofl* Anyway, thanks a bunch Scott. I appreciate you getting back to me on the holiday. I guess I'll go peruse WoW's website, see if anyone else is having this problem and what they might be doing about it.

*hugs*

Edit: I'll post back here if I find anything conclusive.

06-21-09, 07:10 PM   #4
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

Hrm, I logged out hours ago to post about this problem, though I left WoW on the login/pw page and didn't close the game completely. Just now, I logged back in and my key bindings are back to normal. *boggles at the concept*

I posted a message about it over on the Technical Support page on WoW's site... nobody's replied yet. Bleh.

06-21-09, 08:05 PM   #5
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

Okay, I can reproduce it now. Anytime I enter the Key Bindings menu, then cancel out of it, there go my action button bindings. And if I just log out and right back in, they're fixed again. BUT, it's the key bindings that I've set up using nUI's key binding function. So when you scroll down in key bindings, all the action buttons for Blizzard are empty... but scroll down further into the nUI action bar settings and that's where all my keys are bound.

At least I know how to bring them back. So, no biggie. I dunno why the error happened with you though because you were fighting. I'm quite sure you don't enter your key bindings menu while you're fighting. Especially in pvp.

You do, however, know about the bug for Mac users who use the Dvorak keyboard layout, right? They have had some issues which are, I think, supposed to be fixed in an upcoming patch.

06-21-09, 08:21 PM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Anjalena View Post

I posted a message about it over on the Technical Support page on WoW's site... nobody's replied yet. Bleh.
There are no developers in tech support, so they can't help you with this (and they're not there on weekends). Best to look over in the Bug Reports forum where the devs are.

06-21-09, 09:10 PM   #7
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

HEY! Where's my "nUI Supporter" banner? *sniffles* *giggles*

Yeah, I did a search over there on the bugs forum cuz surely I'm not the only one to have the problem, but I didn't see any mention of it. And I hate to post again cuz the whole "cross posting" faux pas. Do you think it would be okay to post again in the Bugs forum despite that?

Edit: I just decided to delete my other post and I'll post a new one on the Bug forum. And I still want a nUI supporter banner. *giggles insanely*

Last edited by Anjalena : 06-21-09 at 11:13 PM.

06-22-09, 01:23 AM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

HEY! Where's my "nUI Supporter" banner? *sniffles* *giggles*
I believe you get access to those (I made the support banners/avs *giggle*) when you've donated to nUI in some way (helped other nUI users here, donated, etcetera). Scott could give you a more definitive answer.

06-22-09, 04:18 AM   #9
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Okay, I can reproduce it now. Anytime I enter the Key Bindings menu, then cancel out of it, there go my action button bindings. And if I just log out and right back in, they're fixed again. BUT, it's the key bindings that I've set up using nUI's key binding function. So when you scroll down in key bindings, all the action buttons for Blizzard are empty... but scroll down further into the nUI action bar settings and that's where all my keys are bound.
All of the action button key bindings are supposed to be in the nUI section, not the Bliz action bar settings... those are and should be empty when you look at the key binding interface.

In short, when you log into WoW and nUI loads, it copies all of the key bindings from Blizzard's action bars to its own action bars. When you log out, it copies them back to the Blizzard action bars. What this does is make it possible for nUI to use the same key binding layout you use in the default Bliz interface and to preserve those settings so if someone disables nUI, they don't lose all of their key bindings as a result.

That is all normal behavior.

Are you sure that when you open the Bliz key binding menu that your key bindings really are gone? They actually vanish off of nUI's action bars? Or are you just basing that on the fact that the Bliz action bar bindings in the list were empty?

06-22-09, 11:02 AM   #10
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

No they actually disappear. Not when I enter the key bindings menu (when I hit the "Key Bindings" button), but at the moment I hit "Cancel".... voom, they disappear. I watched the bars as I did each thing. It does keep my main action bar bindings but takes them out of the nUI section and puts them in the Blizzard section. But all the other bindings go bye-bye. But, just to be safe, before I post a bug report on wow's bug forum, I'm gonna disable all my addons and be sure it still happens. You know how persnickety Blizz is about that.

And Scott, where's the banner so I can download it? I wanna show my nUI pride! =)

06-22-09, 11:14 AM   #11
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Anjalena --

First things first... the banner is in the nUI Supporter's forum at http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23401

It sounds to me like what's happening is that when you press escape, Bliz is reloading the bindings from your saved bindings (either server side or client side depending on your settings I guess) rather that restoring them to what they were when you opened the key binding interface.

For any addon that uses temporary bindings, that's going to be a problem... and that's what nUI does because I don't want to break the user's bindings if they disable nUI.

I could get around it by committing nUI's bindings to the save, but then if the user disabled nUI their action bar key bindings would all be lost and I'm loath to do that.

06-22-09, 11:49 AM   #12
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

Okay, well, I turned off all my addons, logged in, turned on the extra action bars so I could see the key bindings. They're there. So I went to the game menu, clicked on Key Bindings, then hit cancel... nada, my bindings stay on the action bars like they're supposed to. So I turned off the extra action bars, logged out, turned just nUI on (not even any of the plugins or anything, just nUI alone), and logged in. My nUI interface was back with all my key bindings in place where they should be. I hit Esc, then Key Bindings, waited and watched... then the moment I hit Cancel... they disappeared. They even visually disappear from the main nUI bar but the key bindings for that bar get transferred back to the Blizz main action bar in the key bindings menu so I can still USE those 12 key bindings... but all the other bindings for my other bars are gone and don't work at all. =( But when I log out and back in, there they are again.

I dunno what else to do/try or how to help. Any ideas?

06-22-09, 12:12 PM   #13
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Like I said -- this sounds like a Bliz bug in their logic. Let me try and lay out what is happening here. In a normal situation it works like this...
  • You fire up WoW and Bliz loads your key bindings to the Bliz action bars (if you could open the key binding window here, you would see all of your bindings on the Bliz action bars and no nUI bindings)
  • nUI is loaded and reassigns the bindings from the Bliz bars to nUI's bars as temporary bindings (the bindings are not saved). At this point, the Bliz bars now have no bindings on them. (If you open the Bliz key binding window at this point, you see no bindings on the Bliz bars)
  • You play as you normally would.
  • You log out and nUI reassigns its current action bar bindings back to the Blizzard action bars so that if the player now disables nUI, the default action bars will still work with the user's key bindings. (again, if you could examing the key binding window here, you would see nUI's bars with no bindings and all of your key bindings back on the Blizzard action bars)
  • You exit WoW and Blizzard saves the current key bindings either to the local disk or to their server.
Here's the rub, when you open the key binding window and click cancel, Bliz copies the *saved* bindings to the action bars rather than just leaving the bindings how they were when the window was opened (the temporary bindings that were made). This removes the bindings from nUI's bars and assigns them back to the Bliz bars... voila, the nUI bars no longer have bindings.

EDIT: It may well be that this problem is going to force me to have to save nUI's bindings... it's not the best solution, but may well be the only one. I just wonder why this issue hasn't come up before.

06-22-09, 12:18 PM   #14
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

aah. Okay, I get it now. Thanks. So I guess I just have to make sure not to cancel out of the Bindings window then. Which is gonna be frustrating if I make changes I don't wanna keep. I'll post all this to the Blizz bug board later but I'm pretty sure they're gonna say "this is intended functionality"... you know them.

Not feeling well so I'm gonna go lay down again.

06-22-09, 12:23 PM   #15
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
EDIT: It may well be that this problem is going to force me to have to save nUI's bindings... it's not the best solution, but may well be the only one. I just wonder why this issue hasn't come up before.
I think it hasn't come up because 99% of the people who go into the Blizz Keybinding menu hit "OK" instead of cancel. When you hit Okay, nothing changes. I just did it myself, both using Cancel and OK. Cancel cleared my bindings and simply doing a "/nui rl" fixed it. Which obviously fits with how you explained the bindings work.

On the same idea of saving nUI's bindings in a .lua file, would it be possible or simpler to just have it create a per character copy of the Blizz bindings that it already utilizes?

06-22-09, 12:27 PM   #16
spiel2001
nUI's Author

"Saving" the bindings is really just a case of committing them as opposed to making them temporary bindings. The down side is that if the user crashes out of WoW, their bindings make get trashed too. I'll have to figure out a way of preventing that from happening.

06-22-09, 03:56 PM   #17
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

This is something that has been going on for a long time I honestly didn't realize it had to do with nUI's keybinding method though. But since a rl or log out fixes it and most people will never even come across it I think just putting this in the known issues list would honestly be better than saving them though that's just a nightmare waiting to happen with people trying nUI and not liking it *shudder* or people who may not use it for all situations. Imagine all the people coming into the forums screaming about how nUI took away their keybindings and they can't get them back

Last edited by neuralassassin : 06-22-09 at 03:58 PM.

06-22-09, 05:23 PM   #18
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you want your keybindings saved to your computer in a text file, like they use to be, you can stop them from saving server side by typing this in game;

/console synchronizeBindings 0

They're still on your computer regardless... in a file called bindings-cache.old

Last edited by Petrah : 06-22-09 at 05:26 PM.

06-22-09, 05:23 PM   #19
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

Wink

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I don't want to cause a bigger problem by trying to solve a smaller one. One thing I love about nUI, it makes reloading very easy. Don't have to try to remember /console reloadui which I tend to forget exactly how it goes sometimes. Typing /nui rl is a wonderful and easy alternative. So, no biggie. But hey, at least we discovered exactly what was going on and why, right? So you can make people aware of it and they can know how to avoid it, or how to fix it if necessary. =)

Thanks again, Scott. And Neural, your avatar is badass!! And Down with the Sickness is one of my favorite songs. *grin*

Edit: Oh, awesome tip Silenia. Thanks. =) And thanks for making the awesome banners and avatars. I haven't put mine in my sig yet, but I will later. *big bear hugs*

Last edited by Anjalena : 06-22-09 at 05:26 PM.

06-22-09, 05:30 PM   #20
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You're welcome! /hugs

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » Frickin A - Where'd my keybindings go?!