05-10-14, 06:06 AM   #1
vereonix
A Murloc Raider
Disable the in-game screenshot effect?

Hi, just a quick question as to if it is possible to disable the screenshot effect, where when a screenshot is taken the game screen freezes/stutters for a fraction of a second, and also to disable the text which appears in the centre of the screen saying a ss has been done.

I can see the screen stutter being required for some reason, but just getting rid of the text would be good enough, I merely want to disable while leaving the ability to re-enable, not completely remove.

Edit: When you take a screen shot "Screen Captured" appears on the screen, and the screen stutters I want to still take and save screenshots just without these effects happening.

Last edited by vereonix : 05-10-14 at 06:37 AM.
05-10-14, 06:32 AM   #2
Mazzop
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
not sure if i read id correctly http://wowprogramming.com/docs/api/Screenshot but
/run TakeScreenshot()
would do what u want?
05-10-14, 06:33 AM   #3
Tactica
Not Amused

Keybindings > Unbind Screenshot
05-10-14, 06:38 AM   #4
vereonix
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Mazzop View Post
not sure if i read id correctly http://wowprogramming.com/docs/api/Screenshot but
/run TakeScreenshot()
would do what u want?
Yes, aweosme, I'd read up on TakeScreenshot() somewhere else but it didn't say it hid the on screen message though, thanks
05-10-14, 07:54 AM   #5
Tactica
Not Amused

Originally Posted by vereonix View Post
Edit: When you take a screen shot "Screen Captured" appears on the screen, and the screen stutters I want to still take and save screenshots just without these effects happening.
ooOoo this changes things then!
05-10-14, 09:21 AM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

ActionStatus:UnregisterEvent("SCREENSHOT_SUCCEEDED")

... will disable the mid-screen messages. However, the delay/stutter is unavoidable, as it's related to WoW capturing the image, formatting it, and saving it to the hard disk. Lower quality screenshots will take less time to process and save, so you may want to play around with the screenshotFormat (TGA or JPEG) and screenshotQuality (0-10) cvars to reduce the file size.
05-10-14, 10:16 AM   #7
vereonix
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
it's related to WoW capturing the image, formatting it, and saving it to the hard disk. Lower quality screenshots will take less time to process and save, so you may want to play around with the screenshotFormat (TGA or JPEG) and screenshotQuality (0-10) cvars to reduce the file size.
I've been playing around with the quality and formats and it never occured to me that it would reduce the stutter, I guess I hadn't noticed; I assumed the stutter was random in how long it lasted. This is great to know though, and really helpful, the screenshots don't need to be good quality for what I need, but as less intrusive to the user's experience as possible is what I need.
05-10-14, 10:17 AM   #8
vereonix
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Tactica View Post
ooOoo this changes things then!
I felt after I submitted it that it might have not been worded very clearly xD

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Disable the in-game screenshot effect?