07-22-12, 06:04 PM   #1
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Notifications: Banner-style alerts

I've just released Notifications, an addon that shows banner-style notifications at the top of the screen, similar to those on modern smartphones. A callback function can be passed as a parameter, which will be executed on click. They are animated too, and have sound! People can use the API function in their addons/UI to implement them - it could be used for anything.

There's a queue system in case multiple notifications come in at the same time. They are also stored when you are AFK, and shown one by one when you get back.

Example screenshot:

There are options to change the appearance entirely, which can be applied locally or remotely, so that UI developers can include Notifications in their UI and still allow people to update the addon separately without needing to modify any code.

I will include a few usages in my UI, and perhaps release a few example addons.
07-23-12, 06:22 AM   #2
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I uploaded EventNotifier which uses this addon for mail/calendar/guild event alerts.
07-23-12, 08:13 AM   #3
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm interested in using Notifications in my addons

But how do I specify an external lib from GitHub for the curse packager to embed into an addon, or is there also a library version of Notifications hosted on a wowace/curseforge repository?
07-23-12, 08:36 AM   #4
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Just add it as a regular addon then place it in your addon's OptionalDeps in the ToC. That will make sure that if Notifications is in the addons folder and enabled, it will be loaded first.

Last edited by Haleth : 07-23-12 at 09:04 AM.
07-23-12, 01:23 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Have you considered writing it as an actual library -- complete with LibStub for embedding support -- since "does nothing by itself, but provides functions for other addons to use" is the very definition of a library?
07-23-12, 01:41 PM   #6
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I have little to no idea on using libraries - I always thought they were more internal, such as event handlers, and had less of an actual visible function.

oUF also does nothing on its own, so I figured I could do the same here.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Notifications: Banner-style alerts