09-03-12, 12:45 AM   #201
scorpionjs
A Murloc Raider
What authors should or should not do.

What do we need to do to get a 1 minute post from the authors of this add-on? Sure, they are busy, just like I am, but the information they need to provide is very simple: 1. Yes, we are working on an update. 2. No, we are not working on an update. 3. We are still deciding whether or not we will be able to support this add-on.

Many of us pay for Curse premium and are thus paying at least something for these add-ons. I believe that's worth at least one minute of their time to make an announcement.

If this add-on has copyright laws and the author doesn't wish to relinquish control over to anyone, that also needs to be announced before good samaritans find themselves entangled in legal issues.

I really like the Carbonite add-on for the google earth style maps and the quest handling. Few addons are as accurate with the quest arrows, the main competitor for my taste is wow-pro which is also currently broken. The blizz tracker and map is still not up to snuff.

So, in the end, I would like to see the original authors update this addon, or relinquish the controls to a team with time. What I think I deserve as a paying customer is at least a minute's worth of time to make a formal statement. I don't believe that's asking too much of anyone.

09-03-12, 01:24 AM   #202
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Klim View Post
I love this add on and am happy to see this fan update. But my traditional Chinese wow client(zhTW) can't use this addon properly. Will you please help me out? Thanks a lot.
For it to work with the chinese client, someone would need to do the same as the above post by lorigio, and send me the translations.

09-03-12, 01:36 AM   #203
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by scorpionjs View Post
What do we need to do to get a 1 minute post from the authors of this add-on? Sure, they are busy, just like I am, but the information they need to provide is very simple: 1. Yes, we are working on an update. 2. No, we are not working on an update. 3. We are still deciding whether or not we will be able to support this add-on.

Many of us pay for Curse premium and are thus paying at least something for these add-ons. I believe that's worth at least one minute of their time to make an announcement.

If this add-on has copyright laws and the author doesn't wish to relinquish control over to anyone, that also needs to be announced before good samaritans find themselves entangled in legal issues.

I really like the Carbonite add-on for the google earth style maps and the quest handling. Few addons are as accurate with the quest arrows, the main competitor for my taste is wow-pro which is also currently broken. The blizz tracker and map is still not up to snuff.

So, in the end, I would like to see the original authors update this addon, or relinquish the controls to a team with time. What I think I deserve as a paying customer is at least a minute's worth of time to make a formal statement. I don't believe that's asking too much of anyone.
I agree with a few things - one, it would be great if the authors gave us a quick response and it shouldn't take too much time. However, peoples lives are busy, they still may not know about the Pandora update (especially if they don't pay much attention to WoW anymore). People are attempting to get in contact with them, so the only thing I can suggest is patience (not a virtue many people have). I also hope that the Carbonite authors do not have any problems with the fan update that has gone on, given how he has done it and still stands behind the original Carbonite.

Second, Curse Premium says it supports addon authors by "Our authors get a share in all the premium membership revenue. Your subscription directly supports authors that are active in the community." However, it doesn't say how much, how many authors get the support and doesn't specify what is "active in the community". These are items I am not aware of, but it is something many companies use as a marketing scheme to make you "feel good" about paying for their service. This could easily be a slight award to 1-5 authors (of thousands) a month and could be a small stipend dependent on downloads and updates. I'm also guessing addons that are not hosted on Curse (like Carbonite) don't belong to the group that may get monetary support.

FYI, if you are a "Paying customer" for any addon - you (and in relation the add on author) are violating Blizzards ToS and could lose your account along with get the addon banned. Paying for a service that allows you to download items is not paying for an addon - it's paying for convenience (lets call an apple an apple, not an orange). If you truly want to support addon authors, donate directly to them and then you know it goes to the authors of addons you use.

09-03-12, 01:40 AM   #204
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
For it to work with the chinese client, someone would need to do the same as the above post by lorigio, and send me the translations.
Rythal, you are a great man for taking up this whole fan update. And while I haven't downloaded it yet (I am not a huge WoW player anymore, especially with Carbonite having been broken and some of my other addons) I very much appreciate what you are doing and giving hope to the Carbonite community while we await answers. With that being said... get some sleep man! You deserve and I'm guessing you need it to.

09-03-12, 03:24 AM   #205
Sayishere
A Defias Bandit
Anyone able to help me out? so the map works fine, but when i go to BGS it doesnt show the BG map in my minimap, instead it shows a general map of the world (instead of a BG specific one). Im not sure how to make it show it, anyone know the solution?

many thanks

09-03-12, 05:27 AM   #206
Serra44
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks again!

Thank you for fixing the transparency issue!!!
You're amazing!

To speak with Blizz: 'working as intended' now! Can see exclamation marks and tracking dots.
Did I say how awesome you are already?

09-03-12, 05:35 AM   #207
Klim
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Thanks a lot. But can you guide me more? I read his post but not so clearly. What should I do? Translate which file and which part?

09-03-12, 08:04 AM   #208
CougarKharne
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by PhatChic06 View Post
I use carbonite cause it makes questing easier for me but i cant get it to work right now. I seen they had a fix for it but i tried that and it's not working either.

Are you positive you installed the fan update from RYTHAL correctly. What you are describing sounds just like the problems you get without the fan update installed.

09-03-12, 11:39 AM   #209
boije82
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have drilled down (c:users\public\games\wow\interface\addons) and replaced on extract. Seems to be no change.
On the mini car map, guide wont open
No carbonite quest list
the "goto" doesnt work

What am I doing wrong ?
Got the same issue. downloaded new patch and nothing works.

09-03-12, 12:14 PM   #210
flskylark
A Defias Bandit
I uploaded the latest this morning and working fine for me - just replaced the files from the prior versions so not sure that there is a problem with the version.

09-03-12, 12:17 PM   #211
kaldrodomo
A Kobold Labourer
help downloading fan update

Hello.

First off THANK YOU Rythal for making the fan update. I hope that the developers will continue to support this add-on or make it available for others to carry the torch if they no longer are interested. Carbonite is one of the most important add-ons I (and most people who are serious WoW players I know) use.

Anyway, I'm having a problem opening the file. I am using Jzip and it states it can't open the file. I have no problem opening zip files from curse.

Also, are we supposed to delete all the carbonite files just unzip these files into the /interface/addon directory like other add-ons or are we supposed to replace them into existing carbonite files? If this was answered previously I apologize, the thread is getting large and confusing. Thank you for your time.

09-03-12, 12:49 PM   #212
judaz14
A Murloc Raider
transparency

first of all, thank you rythal for your great work keeping this addon alive. i donīt really want to play without it.

i am from germany and i just downloaded your latest update with the minimap transparancy issue beeing solved. but somehow it doesnīt work for me. when i move the mouse out of the minimap, the frame turns transparent, but the minimap itself fades into some kind of yellowish-green.
does anyone have the same problem? i have tried all options (right click on minimap) but cannot solve it.

Last edited by judaz14 : 09-03-12 at 12:57 PM.

09-03-12, 01:01 PM   #213
judaz14
A Murloc Raider
@kaldrodomo

just copy the files into your interface/addons/carbonite directory, replacing the original files.

09-03-12, 01:07 PM   #214
Necrosage
A Fallenroot Satyr

Exclamation

Originally Posted by boije82 View Post
Got the same issue. downloaded new patch and nothing works.
Originally Posted by kaldrodomo View Post
Hello.

First off THANK YOU Rythal for making the fan update. I hope that the developers will continue to support this add-on or make it available for others to carry the torch if they no longer are interested. Carbonite is one of the most important add-ons I (and most people who are serious WoW players I know) use.

Anyway, I'm having a problem opening the file. I am using Jzip and it states it can't open the file. I have no problem opening zip files from curse.

Also, are we supposed to delete all the carbonite files just unzip these files into the /interface/addon directory like other add-ons or are we supposed to replace them into existing carbonite files? If this was answered previously I apologize, the thread is getting large and confusing. Thank you for your time.
Okay guys,

Firstly:
All versions of windows currently in use are able to open zip files without needing to install 3rd party software. You should simply be able to right-click and select "Extract All..." to start the extraction wizard. If you insist on using a 3rd party application then I highly recommend WinRAR. The free trial version is unlimited with only a small popup asking if you'd like to purchase the full version on every third or so run. Even that doesn't pop if you use WinRAR's right-click menu options without loading the entire app. I've used it for years and never had an issue of any kind.

Secondly:
To install the Fan Update you download the zip file and extract it. I recommend extracting it to a temp folder you can easily locate. Most extraction wizards give you the option of creating one on extraction and I usually put it on my desktop. Once you have the files extracted, locate the "Program Files" directory for your particular version of Windows. Keep in mind there are two such folders on 64bit systems. In that case the 32bit folder name will contain "x86". Your WoW install will be located in the 32bit folder. If you only see the one "Program Files" folder then simply select that one and ignore everything I said about 32/64bit. Inside that folder you will find a "World of Warcraft" folder. Open that folder and inside locate the "Interface" folder. Now open that folder and and find your "AddOns" folder.

Now inside your "AddOns" folder you will see folders for all your installed addons. Look through them and find the "Carbonite" folder. There are four seperate folders used by Carbonite but only one is simply named "Carbonite", that's the one you want. Open it up. Take the files you extracted earlier and drag and drop them into the "Carbonite" folder. Windows will ask you if want to replace the original three files with the new versions. Tell it yes.

At last you have the Carbonite Fan Update installed. You may now delete the temp folder you created on your desktop as it should now be empty. If you have any issues with it try disabling your other addons one at a time and see if it starts working after a certain one is disabled. Please post the name of that addon and the error message you receive in the forums. Rythal can work wonders but not without the proper information. If you have any other issues post them and include as much info as you can about the problem.

Hopefully this will answer some of the questions about how to install the update properly. I know some of you are extracting directly into the addon folder but I recommend during it the long way just to be sure everything happens as it should.

09-03-12, 02:10 PM   #215
TULOA
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Necrosage View Post
Okay guys,

Firstly:
All versions of windows currently in use are able to open zip files without needing to install 3rd party software. You should simply be able to right-click and select "Extract All..." to start the extraction wizard. If you insist on using a 3rd party application then I highly recommend WinRAR. The free trial version is unlimited with only a small popup asking if you'd like to purchase the full version on every third or so run. Even that doesn't pop if you use WinRAR's right-click menu options without loading the entire app. I've used it for years and never had an issue of any kind.

Secondly:
To install the Fan Update you download the zip file and extract it. I recommend extracting it to a temp folder you can easily locate. Most extraction wizards give you the option of creating one on extraction and I usually put it on my desktop. Once you have the files extracted, locate the "Program Files" directory for your particular version of Windows. Keep in mind there are two such folders on 64bit systems. In that case the 32bit folder name will contain "x86". Your WoW install will be located in the 32bit folder. If you only see the one "Program Files" folder then simply select that one and ignore everything I said about 32/64bit. Inside that folder you will find a "World of Warcraft" folder. Open that folder and inside locate the "Interface" folder. Now open that folder and and find your "AddOns" folder.

Now inside your "AddOns" folder you will see folders for all your installed addons. Look through them and find the "Carbonite" folder. There are four seperate folders used by Carbonite but only one is simply named "Carbonite", that's the one you want. Open it up. Take the files you extracted earlier and drag and drop them into the "Carbonite" folder. Windows will ask you if want to replace the original three files with the new versions. Tell it yes.

At last you have the Carbonite Fan Update installed. You may now delete the temp folder you created on your desktop as it should now be empty. If you have any issues with it try disabling your other addons one at a time and see if it starts working after a certain one is disabled. Please post the name of that addon and the error message you receive in the forums. Rythal can work wonders but not without the proper information. If you have any other issues post them and include as much info as you can about the problem.

Hopefully this will answer some of the questions about how to install the update properly. I know some of you are extracting directly into the addon folder but I recommend during it the long way just to be sure everything happens as it should.
Remember that not all users installed it to the default directory. Just something I figured I would put up there. In this case you can right click the shortcut on the desktop and select: Open File Location if you have windows 7. I know some others may have it but I am not sure how early that went. Otherwise you can go to the shortcut properties and in there should be a Find Target option. That should also work.

09-03-12, 02:15 PM   #216
Necrosage
A Fallenroot Satyr

Good point, I didn't think about that.

09-03-12, 02:43 PM   #217
flskylark
A Defias Bandit
Thumbs up Big Thanks for the Fan Updates!!

First - thanks a ton for the update....my wife wouldnt even play until this one got working again so its worth quite a bit to me! Happy to donate to Rythal personally when the time is right.

On another note - just in case anyone is wondering this update also works on OSX by replacing the same three files - have done it on a Mac Air as well as a mini.....universal solution - nice :-)

09-03-12, 06:14 PM   #218
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Klim View Post
Thanks a lot. But can you guide me more? I read his post but not so clearly. What should I do? Translate which file and which part?
in loringo's post there is a bit of lua code, that's taken right out of localization.lua and it's how carbonite is able to work with other languages since the game reports different zone names based on which your using.

for carbonite to work properly you would need to go through that bit of code line by line, and replace the itallian with the chinese (made easier because every line is ["english"] = "itallian")

09-03-12, 06:45 PM   #219
diarmadhii
A Defias Bandit
first off Rythal thank you very much!

after updating to 5.0405 from version 5.0403 i started noticing that after i completed a couple quests it would no longer let me accept new quests, i had to logout and come back in and then i could accept quests as long as i didn't complete any, i went back to 5.0403 and quests are now working fine

09-03-12, 07:27 PM   #220
lhuser
A Kobold Labourer
A few stuff seems to be blocked by the Blizzard UI but this definately got me back on track with quests. On the map, the icons blink though, but hey, it's pretty darn good!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 5.04