04-27-18, 10:45 PM   #1
Corgei
A Murloc Raider
Unhappy Something has gone wrong, hasn't it?

The reason for my worrying is once time I used RealUI and then uninstalled it, I found out that the new floating combat text of my outgoing damage and my pet were gone even when I had the default UI of WoW! Turned out I had to re-enable it again by using "command lines" as below:

/console floatingCombatTextCombatHealing 1
/console floatingCombatTextCombatDamage 1

Well, I'm ok for the fix, but for regular users like the majority of the others, how can they know there is a "New Floating Combat Text" like this when they keep using the add-ons and the bad thing of WoW nowadays that they store all the settings on their servers so that when people re-install the game, it stays there without any configuration if you are using default UI. Now it is coming to the point, even when I try to re-install my Windows and start downloading WoW from stratch, the Floating Combat Text wouldn't be up for some reasons, then I tried to look for a solution as given as above...

I hope that you can make a healthier add-on bundles so that when we don't need it and want to return to normal state, we can just simply delete Cache, Interface and WTF folder. Please don't mess up with the codes as we never know something has gone wrong visibly.
04-28-18, 11:16 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Can't you turn FCT on/off in the Interface options?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-28-18, 12:05 PM   #3
Corgei
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Can't you turn FCT on/off in the Interface options?
As far as I know there is no such option anymore.
04-29-18, 05:30 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There is no PRINTED option anymore, but you can always use the console command to enable or disable them. True, it's a little more time consuming, but it's just as effective.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
04-29-18, 06:18 AM   #5
Corgei
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
There is no PRINTED option anymore, but you can always use the console command to enable or disable them. True, it's a little more time consuming, but it's just as effective.
Yes, the modern way of the combat damage text is good. And it is not the topic I'm on, what I meant, for people don't even know it is exist (maybe because I use add-ons for too long to recognize), and when I uninstall RealUI, I didn't see it there, and I thought "Oh so this is the default UI" without ANY awareness that the new FCT is available even when I reset all the settings, Cache, Interface, WTF folders or furthermore reinstall my PC and start downloading from scratch, it also means you play the game without knowing that there is a default GUI hidden by the RealUI. Now you understand where I'm from?
04-29-18, 09:22 AM   #6
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
A "full UI reset" like customer support GMs tell everyone to do all the time on the official forums does not actually return your game to default, they are completely clueless and any issue posted that is cvar-related just stumps them completely. Nothing against the GMs themselves, they're just doing their jobs and what they are told, but why doesn't Blizzard educate them about the fact that settings get saved server-side and will be reloaded even if you deleted everything? Then they could actually help a lot better.
They don't even mention anything about that in their "how to reset ui back to default" support article. :/ just "delete the folders and you're back to default", except not really.

All it would take is for them to start telling people to also run cvar_reset in console, and if you want to make extra sure no settings will linger from server-side, after you've deleted/moved the folders, and before you restart the game, create your own config.wtf file with SET synchronizeSettings 0 in it. That should prevent it from loading key bindings, macros and cvars from the server on startup and will just use true defaults for everything.

The best part is that synchronizeSettings itself is a cvar. If you disabled synchronizeSettings a long time ago and forgot about it, and followed the recommended directives and deleted WTF folder, you would potentially be having bogus settings that may have been dormant on blizzard's servers start to sync after the fact, potentially causing problems you didn't even have before the UI reset. Unless setting synchronizeSettings to 0 automatically clears server-side settings, but I'd imagine all it does is pause the synchronization between client/server.

Maybe addon authors could add disclaimers about cvars being modified (and good practice is probably to avoid touching them where it isn't absolutely needed), but really, Blizzard is responsible for that terrible design choice. If we want to sync settings between computers we can just copy our WTF folder over.

tl;dr if anyone important in the wow dev team ever reads this (doubtful), get rid of server-side syncing for cvars. It causes more problems than it solves (what problems was it even meant to solve anyway?)
Server-side bindings and macros are fine, can keep those in.

Last edited by Ammako : 04-29-18 at 09:36 AM.
05-02-18, 08:25 AM   #7
Corgei
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ammako View Post
A "full UI reset" like customer support GMs tell everyone to do all the time on the official forums does not actually return your game to default, they are completely clueless and any issue posted that is cvar-related just stumps them completely. Nothing against the GMs themselves, they're just doing their jobs and what they are told, but why doesn't Blizzard educate them about the fact that settings get saved server-side and will be reloaded even if you deleted everything? Then they could actually help a lot better.
They don't even mention anything about that in their "how to reset ui back to default" support article. :/ just "delete the folders and you're back to default", except not really.

All it would take is for them to start telling people to also run cvar_reset in console, and if you want to make extra sure no settings will linger from server-side, after you've deleted/moved the folders, and before you restart the game, create your own config.wtf file with SET synchronizeSettings 0 in it. That should prevent it from loading key bindings, macros and cvars from the server on startup and will just use true defaults for everything.

The best part is that synchronizeSettings itself is a cvar. If you disabled synchronizeSettings a long time ago and forgot about it, and followed the recommended directives and deleted WTF folder, you would potentially be having bogus settings that may have been dormant on blizzard's servers start to sync after the fact, potentially causing problems you didn't even have before the UI reset. Unless setting synchronizeSettings to 0 automatically clears server-side settings, but I'd imagine all it does is pause the synchronization between client/server.

Maybe addon authors could add disclaimers about cvars being modified (and good practice is probably to avoid touching them where it isn't absolutely needed), but really, Blizzard is responsible for that terrible design choice. If we want to sync settings between computers we can just copy our WTF folder over.

tl;dr if anyone important in the wow dev team ever reads this (doubtful), get rid of server-side syncing for cvars. It causes more problems than it solves (what problems was it even meant to solve anyway?)
Server-side bindings and macros are fine, can keep those in.
This is by far the most excellent explanation I've seen in this thread. I also want RealUI to be developed well in the near future, would love to donate for this project.
05-02-18, 02:26 PM   #8
Corgei
A Murloc Raider
I decided to give a try again on RealUI today and I found a strange buff on the top right corner of my new level 1 Druid which I took a screenshot and post to attachment of this post, does anybody know it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Druid.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	708.3 KB
ID:	9054  
05-02-18, 03:50 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
What did the tooltip say?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-03-18, 02:34 AM   #10
Corgei
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
What did the tooltip say?
It said "Mana" and the lower one is "Applied by <name>"
05-03-18, 03:51 AM   #11
Corgei
A Murloc Raider
It seems that our bag isn't working with Pawn, there is no visual of the upgrade icon ON the item in the bag interface
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_050318_164712.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	9055  
05-04-18, 01:13 AM   #12
Corgei
A Murloc Raider
Question

Here is the screenshot to show when I tried to remove RealUI and reset every settings in the game to be default, even delete Caches, Interface and WTF folders, I still could not see the damage text which I made on the enemies. Yes I know how to enable it back again, but my question is what happens if the gamers don't even know the new combat text has been there for them to see and unfortunately they are out-of-date comparing with the other gamers about a feature in-game.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_050418_140327.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	9056  

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » RealUI » Something has gone wrong, hasn't it?