08-20-11, 02:50 PM   #1
Palladia
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Is Carbonite Dead or in a Coma?

Is anyone else worried about the fact that the last time Verttex posted in Carbonite forums was on 7/5 and the last time CarboniteAddon posted was 7/15?

08-20-11, 04:10 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Palladia View Post
Is anyone else worried about the fact that the last time Verttex posted in Carbonite forums was on 7/5 and the last time CarboniteAddon posted was 7/15?
Of the two (that I am aware of) developers left of the original Carbonite team, faatal (aka: carboniteaddon) and Haavok, the last post I believe was on 8/11/2011 by Haavok. No offense meant towards Verttex, but he's a Carbonite user that also posts here occasionally to help everyone with their Carbonite problems.

I wouldn't go "nailing the lid on the coffin" just yet. "Real Life" has a way of kicking the stuffing out of many addon authors, and those two guys seem to be getting hammered lately.

Updates to Carbonite will, I am sure, come in the same fashion as always: When there is time for them to update it. So, worried? About as much as I am that the sun is going to explode in my lifetime.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 08-20-11 at 04:18 PM.

08-20-11, 05:42 PM   #3
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Palladia View Post
There has only ever been two of us developing Carbonite: Me & CarboniteAddon. We try to keep it updated and working and we're actually going to be putting out a new release fairly soon with data for Firelands quests and a few other fixes. Unfortunately neither of us have time to actively patrol the forums but we do pop up from time to time

08-20-11, 06:12 PM   #4
Chmee
A Molten Giant
You guys are doing a great job, Haavok. Keep doing it!

08-20-11, 06:58 PM   #5
Verttex
Super Monkey

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Of the two (that I am aware of) developers left of the original Carbonite team, faatal (aka: carboniteaddon) and Haavok, the last post I believe was on 8/11/2011 by Haavok. No offense meant towards Verttex, but he's a Carbonite user that also posts here occasionally to help everyone with their Carbonite problems.

I wouldn't go "nailing the lid on the coffin" just yet. "Real Life" has a way of kicking the stuffing out of many addon authors, and those two guys seem to be getting hammered lately.

Updates to Carbonite will, I am sure, come in the same fashion as always: When there is time for them to update it. So, worried? About as much as I am that the sun is going to explode in my lifetime.
Originally Posted by Haavok View Post
There has only ever been two of us developing Carbonite: Me & CarboniteAddon. We try to keep it updated and working and we're actually going to be putting out a new release fairly soon with data for Firelands quests and a few other fixes. Unfortunately neither of us have time to actively patrol the forums but we do pop up from time to time
Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
You guys are doing a great job, Haavok. Keep doing it!
Yup, me is in no way in relation to the making of the Carbonite addon. Sorry for the confusion.

08-20-11, 07:25 PM   #6
Palladia
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the correction.

I appreciate the hard work and how RL interferes. I don't mind waiting as long as I know there's something to wait for. The quick responses give me hope!

08-29-11, 07:11 PM   #7
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Haavok View Post
Then release Carbonite as GPL and maybe others Community Members will help to fix Bugs and Releases will come more often.

Last edited by gOOvER : 08-29-11 at 07:15 PM.

09-02-11, 05:29 AM   #8
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by gOOvER View Post
Then release Carbonite as GPL and maybe others Community Members will help to fix Bugs and Releases will come more often.
Hmm No Awnser?? But it would be nice. Release Carbonite as GPL or CC. !!!!!

09-02-11, 10:04 AM   #9
Chmee
A Molten Giant
I think Haavok and Faatal should continue to maintain Carbonite. If they want to hold close the code, that's their right.

09-02-11, 01:13 PM   #10
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

We have no plans to open up our code, but if we stopped working on it, then we would consider it.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Is Carbonite Dead or in a Coma?