09-24-05, 08:59 AM   #21
Beladona
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
on a side note, you might consider creating a "blank" addon simply meant for testing. A toc, a single LUA file, and an xml file is probably all you need for the "minor" stuff. This will allow you to add anything you want to those files and go from there. By default simply have comments in each and nothing more, so that unless you are actually developing something, the addon doesn't do anything...

You could call it the AddOn Developer's Toolkit. Maybe even add some of the debug elements that are common in a few other addons. I believe Iriel has a nice Debug Addon you could use.
10-02-05, 03:32 PM   #22
gix
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

It pretty much depends on your environment. If you are on a high-populated server simply restarting the client does not work. I experienced it myself and it gets very annoying when you are on a server with a 30-45min queue, especially if you are additionally in a raiding guild with a schedule. Changing addons through simply reloading the UI was really sweet there. This goes more in the direction of using addons instead of developing them.
If that change from Blizzard is really a security-thing rather than just a caching-thing then I think I can also give up hope for a function to reload the cache manually.
10-07-05, 05:19 AM   #23
Gorak
A Fallenroot Satyr
Well, this whole dynamic loading, and the whole add-on system, has suffered from one major setback for a long time: no modularity supported.

I developed an add-on which was supposed to be designed in an object-oriented way, as in, different components and their settings divided to different files, with one central add-on file that managed the loading and restoring of the settings database. This, obviously, did not work since all the XML files in the folder were marked equal in priority, and got loaded in in a random sequence, making it impossible to predict if the central piece was loaded before the sub-ones.

The only way to circumveint this was to register the central add-on to listen for messages that certainly come before others, such as ADDON_LOADED comes before VARIABLES_LOADED, but this failed, since the OnUpdate handler in XML _is_ called before either ones of these arrive, if the add-on's frames are visible.

While Blizzard was developing the load-on demand system, they should've made the UI system support componentialism that is, you could divide your add-on to multiple independent components under a single folder, and load them as necessary. Currently, the only way to do this is to mark the components as LoadOnDemand and place them to seperate folders under Interface\\AddOns. Not very modular, if you ask me.

- Gorak

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » AddOn dymanic loading whoes :(