07-07-11, 05:54 PM   #1
Maxunit
A Defias Bandit
[Idea] Dedicated Translation Service?

Hello WoWInterface Community,

I hope, this is the proper area for this post, otherwise I ask a Moderator to move the topic asap, please.

Foreword:

I'm a WoW Player from Germany and have a good knowledge in English and I often notice it, that Interface Addons do not have other languages next to English ( or another language like Russian, French, etc, depends on it, where the author is from. Or maybe text strings are not completly translated. If I am wrong on this, that it happens often, please correct me ). This can be a problem for foreign players.

I know, that Addon Authors can just request help to get a translation for their Addon from, for example, English to German, but I think, that is sometimes a problem to find someone, who is willing to do that ( If I am wrong, please correct me ) and even then, it can end up in horrible translations ( I saw many horrible translations from English to German, to be honest ).

What my Idea is:

I thought about it for a long time and would like to offer a "Translation Service" for Addon Authors, who are looking for someone to translate their Addon/s from English to German ( or from another language, but then I would have to use a Translation Software from time to time, check everything in-game to see, if the translation fits the feature/option etc, but it is possible for me ).

I know, that I'm totally unknown to anyone around here, since I never pm'd any Addon Authors, to translate the named Addon ( or participated in this community in any other way, I would like to change that now ). I only worked for some Indie Developers and translated Design Documents, Stories etc and run a growing Community, where English is the main language.

But if you are maybe looking for someone who can translate your Interface Addon, if this post looks interesting to you and want to give it a try, then I offer my knowledge in English and German and my skills in translating.

Just drop me a PM or send me an E-Mail. If you maybe want to contact me using Instant Messaging like MSN/WLM, ICQ or Skype, then this is possible as well.

I would do this as a dedicated hobby here on WoWInterface then, if WoWInterface allows me to do so.

Greetings,

Maxunit

PS: Any Comments and Critics on this idea are appreciated.
07-07-11, 06:16 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Maxunit View Post
<snip>

I know, that I'm totally unknown to anyone around here, since I never pm'd any Addon Authors, to translate the named Addon ( or participated in this community in any other way, I would like to change that now ).

<snip>

I would do this as a dedicated hobby here on WoWInterface then, if WoWInterface allows me to do so.
You are more than welcome to do so. Welcome to the site.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
07-07-11, 06:26 PM   #3
Maxunit
A Defias Bandit
Thank you for the welcome, thanks for moving the topic ( past midnight already, bit tired and did not notice this area of the forum, where you moved the topic to, doh ) and a thanks for permitting this
07-07-11, 07:08 PM   #4
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

So will there be a new forum area where Addon authors may post their projects, and volunteers can view posted projects that require translating?

This is a great idea, and would function off volunteer work.
07-07-11, 07:10 PM   #5
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I like that idea. A section where a addon author could post a list of "phrases" to be translated and then the languages they are looking for. Each person could then translate and post a reply to said thread.
07-07-11, 07:28 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
My thought would be that we can start it off using this forum. If there ends up being enough call for it/people using it, then we can look at creating a specific forum for it. Test the water first, though.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » [Idea] Dedicated Translation Service?