05-05-10, 10:30 PM   #1
SuranthianH3
A Murloc Raider

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Post Nameplate Modifiers.. Documentation?

The title says it all. Is there any sort of documentation or tutorial on nameplate modifiers? I've searched all over and can't seem to find any, but I don't want to take from other authors and modify it.

I want to be able to say "I made it", not "I took it from someone and changed some lines up".
05-05-10, 10:38 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I assume you mean the function calls to modify the appearance of the nameplates? Those are the same as any other widget-type (statusbars, font strings, etc.) The tricky part is actually finding the nameplates and referencing them. Since nameplates are part of both the 3D world and the UI, there is some limit to what you can do with them.

I suggest making your own theme for TidyPlates.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-05-10, 10:45 PM   #3
SuranthianH3
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I assume you mean the function calls to modify the appearance of the nameplates? Those are the same as any other widget-type (statusbars, font strings, etc.) The tricky part is actually finding the nameplates and referencing them. Since nameplates are part of both the 3D world and the UI, there is some limit to what you can do with them.

I suggest making your own theme for TidyPlates.
Yeah, there are a bunch of Nameplate Modifiers on WoWInterface, and I know HOW to change one of them to fit the purpose of what I want to release, but I don't really think that's tolerated or respectful to the other authors of this community.

I would make one for TidyPlates, but I kind of want it to be standalone and not rely on other addons for mine to work (if possible). Also, by making it standalone, I'm forced to learn things I wouldn't by making a TidyPlates theme.

I should have been more specific as to what my goal was. :P

Last edited by SuranthianH3 : 05-05-10 at 10:48 PM.
05-06-10, 02:22 AM   #4
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by SuranthianH3 View Post
Yeah, there are a bunch of Nameplate Modifiers on WoWInterface, and I know HOW to change one of them to fit the purpose of what I want to release, but I don't really think that's tolerated or respectful to the other authors of this community.

I would make one for TidyPlates, but I kind of want it to be standalone and not rely on other addons for mine to work (if possible). Also, by making it standalone, I'm forced to learn things I wouldn't by making a TidyPlates theme.

I should have been more specific as to what my goal was. :P
It depends on the author and the license they released their work under. The best thing to do is just ask, our authors don't bite (not hard anyway ) and they are human (I think, though some maybe undead or robots he he).
05-06-10, 02:57 AM   #5
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
Since you want to solve this yourself:

There isn't really a API, nor any documentation for interacting with the nameplates. We shouldn't actually have access to it, since it's a part of the 3D world. This aside, we can find them by iterating over the children of the WorldFrame, then determining which of those are name plates.

Finding the frames is really the "hard" part. After that you can manipulate them like any other secure frame.
05-06-10, 07:57 AM   #6
SuranthianH3
A Murloc Raider

Ahh. Thanks for the advice, both of you.

Last edited by SuranthianH3 : 05-06-10 at 02:10 PM.
05-07-10, 06:53 PM   #7
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by haste View Post
Since you want to solve this yourself:

There isn't really a API, nor any documentation for interacting with the nameplates. We shouldn't actually have access to it, since it's a part of the 3D world. This aside, we can find them by iterating over the children of the WorldFrame, then determining which of those are name plates.

Finding the frames is really the "hard" part. After that you can manipulate them like any other secure frame.
Finding them is easy, manipulating them is the hard part :P

Depending what you're doing you have the annoyances of not being able to modify the sizing in combat, or how things like bar colors will force reset if you don't watch them.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Nameplate Modifiers.. Documentation?