12-24-14, 03:30 AM   #1
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Quests database

We all know that there is a issue with missing or NIL objectives. I'm working on it with atl77, but thats not so easy, as wowhead doesnt properly display objetives on quest page.

Ill search wow CASC files for real wow dbc with objectives but i dont know if there is this kind of file there.

Maybe someone have another sollution? Where to look for the real wow quests objective database?
12-24-14, 05:39 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I've seen this suggested several times in the past couple of years so it's just a thought.. Instead of trying to redesign the wheel, why not take advantage of an addon like Grail, whose sole purpose is to supply a database of quests and quest related information? It may give better results.

At the very least it couldn't hurt to ask Nimhfree about it. Maybe s/he has an idea that could help you out.
12-24-14, 06:12 PM   #3
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
I've seen this suggested several times in the past couple of years so it's just a thought.. Instead of trying to redesign the wheel, why not take advantage of an addon like Grail, whose sole purpose is to supply a database of quests and quest related information? It may give better results.

At the very least it couldn't hurt to ask Nimhfree about it. Maybe s/he has an idea that could help you out.
It's the same problem it always has been, objective locations. Grail doesn't have it either.
12-24-14, 06:30 PM   #4
samyonair
A Frostmaul Preserver

a bit off topic

since new github release at apexis daily in Evergreen Wilds , Gorgrond overlay with quest one for bonus and some (3 if I track it right with Obj nil

as you can see on this screenshot

all with same Questtitle for apexisdaily
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_122514_012627.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	492.6 KB
ID:	8387  

Last edited by samyonair : 12-24-14 at 06:32 PM.
12-25-14, 04:19 AM   #5
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
It's the same problem it always has been, objective locations. Grail doesn't have it either.
Thats right z Grail doesnt have information about quest objectives.
12-25-14, 09:34 AM   #6
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
However, you might want to think about adding the quest objectives to Grail as a loadable add-on. You need to determine whether it is better to (1) change Carbonite to use Grail, and add quest objectives to Grail, or (2) add all the new information for quests and quest objectives to Carbonite.
12-26-14, 08:13 AM   #7
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

There is project called WodCore ... they have MySQL database with quest and quest objectives, maybe blobs too. Im checking it right now. Maybe we can use this to get quests database.
12-26-14, 09:35 AM   #8
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ircdirk View Post
There is project called WodCore ... they have MySQL database with quest and quest objectives, maybe blobs too. Im checking it right now. Maybe we can use this to get quests database.
I just googled that project.. the only thing that came up was a listing for a group dealing with private servers. I'm not sure I would use that as a base for reliable quest information.
12-26-14, 09:41 AM   #9
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Yep, thats only TrinityCore no quests for Pandaria or Dreanor. But TrinityCore goes 6.x.x so they will soon have db for 6.x.x.

So for now searching another solution.

Last edited by ircdirk : 12-27-14 at 05:27 AM.
12-27-14, 05:27 AM   #10
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Ok for know i will use wowdb not wowhead as their database is more consistent.

Im thinking not to add quests which doesnt have all objectives marked on map. Then fall back function to blizz quests will work for all objectives and not only one which is in wowdb.
12-27-14, 05:56 AM   #11
nelegalno2
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Ok for know i will use wowdb not wowhead as their database is more consistent.

Im thinking not to add quests which doesnt have all objectives marked on map. Then fall back function to blizz quests will work for all objectives and not only one which is in wowdb.
When you have a working solution and free time do you think you can also do the lvl 01-90 quests?
12-27-14, 06:01 AM   #12
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by nelegalno2 View Post
When you have a working solution and free time do you think you can also do the lvl 01-90 quests?
0-85 Yes will we redo them but dont know if result will be good.
12-27-14, 08:28 AM   #13
nelegalno2
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
0-85 Yes will we redo them but dont know if result will be good.
We can allays keep the old ones if they are better.
12-27-14, 09:11 AM   #14
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by nelegalno2 View Post
We can allays keep the old ones if they are better.
This'll gonna require an awful lot of testing...
12-27-14, 09:56 AM   #15
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by atl77 View Post
This'll gonna require an awful lot of testing...
Yep. I will do site for quests reporting and tool for repairing bad quests with option to recover old quest data if it was correct.
12-27-14, 12:23 PM   #16
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Yep. I will do site for quests reporting and tool for repairing bad quests with option to recover old quest data if it was correct.
This was on my list of wanted things, an online quest editor so the databases could be dumped. But before doing such I wanted to fix up QuestNPCs so they reflected the real NPC ID instead of carbonites own table.

and while it's beyond my web programming skill I had even pondered showing the zone maps when quest editing in the way Wowhead does so the objective area's can be drawn / added in a graphical way and cut down on how many objective lines there are.
12-27-14, 12:58 PM   #17
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
If you need someone to fill up a questDB for levels 1 to 90 let me know. I don't do end game stuff at the moment, just level lots of alts and do crafting. I can't promise constant and quick updates but I can reserve a character just for this. I don't use carbonite myself but I can understand the need for testing and correct information.
12-27-14, 01:03 PM   #18
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Xrystal, if you want to do testing please try out Grail (and Wholly if you want). :-)
12-27-14, 01:36 PM   #19
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
rofl, I'll put aside a character for those 2 addons .. I used them for a while last year
12-27-14, 02:34 PM   #20
nelegalno2
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Is it possible to make a module that will collect quest data from the game so players can submit it for addition to the db? I believe Grail and a few other addons have similar functions.

P.S. Maybe even share it among them automatically so it won't be a problem if only a few share it? I have a few chars that I intend to level up and can use to collect some info with.

Last edited by nelegalno2 : 12-27-14 at 02:40 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: Dev Talk » Quests database