09-16-10, 07:55 AM   #1
Tithulta
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
New patch data available to D/L

Anyone have a clue what is coming next patch? I "heard" a rumor that the new talent trees were coming pre-cata. Speculation? Blue posts?
09-16-10, 09:12 AM   #2
Taryble
A Molten Giant

If it's for Pre-DL, it's probably most of the Artwork for the 1st Pre-Cata patch.

The 4.0.1 patch (1st Pre-Cata) is currently on the Public PTR, that's why I'm guessing it's the new art and such. Blizzard has said there will actually be 2 different Pre-Cata patches (4.0.1 and 4.0.3) this time around. The first one will be the new UI and new in-game systems (talents, changes to stats, etc), and the 2nd one should be some more of the world changes.
09-16-10, 09:32 AM   #3
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

/sigh

I just canceled my WoW account as I don't want to waste the 15 bucks when all I'm doing is testing the Beta.

Which means I'll be stuck dl'ing a butt-load come Cata release.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
09-16-10, 09:59 AM   #4
Seer
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
/sigh

I just canceled my WoW account as I don't want to waste the 15 bucks when all I'm doing is testing the Beta.

Which means I'll be stuck dl'ing a butt-load come Cata release.
Neh, just launch the background downloader from the warcraft folder (as an admin). No need to log on.
09-16-10, 10:13 AM   #5
Sec
A Cyclonian

I keep getting a runtime error, whether the downloader is loaded by the game client or manually/standalone loaded.
09-16-10, 10:23 PM   #6
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Sec View Post
I keep getting a runtime error, whether the downloader is loaded by the game client or manually/standalone loaded.
Does

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884538

Help ?
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
09-17-10, 01:06 AM   #7
Tithulta
A Black Drake

I guess i should have posted this fix as well...sorry for those who may have had issues an bashed their heads thru their monitors trying to get the background D/l to work.

I personally did

Repair tool, check files only

Started Wow once it was finished

Launcher D/led ( i assume) new background downloader

Once Launcher restarts

Go to the WoW directory and find the background D/ler

Right click it an go to the Compatibilty tab

Select Win98 compatibility mode

Click Apply

Should be Good to go with a little luck.

On Blizz forums this worked for most ppl

BTW thanks for the extra info on their patch plans.
09-17-10, 02:50 AM   #8
Tntdruid
Premium Member

Premium Member
go to World of Warcraft\Cache\ run the BackgroundDownload.torrent got max speed that way
09-17-10, 07:35 AM   #9
Sec
A Cyclonian

Thank you for the multiple workarounds/fixes.

I had tried running the downloader in Win98 compatibility mode, but the downloader would not even show up on my screen even though Windows Task Manager listed it as a running application. Even after restarting the computer (just in case) the same running, but no displayed client behavior occurred.

Right now, I am waiting for MS to email me the hotfix - which seems strange rather than it just being a download.

I did check my cache folder and although I do have a torrent file, it is reading 0kb and comes up as invalid. I'm going to try downloading from a mirror. If that fails, I'll do the MS hotfix. I'm in the works of backing up to reformat anyways so I'd rather save probably headaches from borking the OS since the hotfix suggests it is tested before applied. ><

Thanks again folks!

/salute

Last edited by Sec : 09-17-10 at 07:41 AM.
09-17-10, 10:24 AM   #10
instant
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Just check the logs folder, open the backgrounddownloader txt, scroll to the bottom and snag the url for the 3.3.5-4.0.1 patch, then launch IE, download the .torrent file, then launch your favourite Torrent application to download it, then copy it to your "update/" folder in wow\..
09-17-10, 10:34 AM   #11
Sec
A Cyclonian

#-----------------------------------------------------------
# System started at 2010-09-17 14:02:15.8906
# system: XXXXXXX
#-----------------------------------------------------------
14:02:16.6718 Downloader v2.2.0.1092
14:02:16.6718 Checking for server side config http://206.18.98.51/update/Downloader.ini
14:02:18.7031 No server-side background download settings found
14:02:18.8906 Checking for background download http://206.18.98.54/background/WoW-3...-BKGND.torrent
14:02:19.7500 Creating cache file C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Cache\BackgroundDownload.torrent
14:02:19.7500 Starting download of http://206.18.98.54/background/WoW-3...-BKGND.torrent
That is the most recent entry I have. That does not appear to deal with 4.0.1 if I am reading it correctly. I am guessing that the downloader's loading doesn't really get far at all beyond initializing or something since it shows in the task manager but there's no visible client to be seen.

I am halfway through downloading part 3/5 of the patch, hosted on Hotfile.com. Hopefully that will work out.
09-19-10, 03:26 PM   #12
Tithulta
A Black Drake

Just curious if there been any speculation as to when the patch will go live?
09-19-10, 04:04 PM   #13
Taryble
A Molten Giant

It only hit PTR last week, I'd expect it to be on PTR for at least 3 before going live, and probably a month.
09-19-10, 11:39 PM   #14
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Sec View Post
That is the most recent entry I have. That does not appear to deal with 4.0.1 if I am reading it correctly.
Weirdly enough it is O_o

Open the torrent you get in a torrent client and it has the prepatch data for 4.01 O_O
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » New patch data available to D/L