10-05-08, 01:22 PM   #1
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Image used in tool tips

I have an odd question: What controls what image is displayed when mousing over a add-on's link in the recently updated, etc, lists? I have a specific image created for that purpose and I want to make sure it's the one that's displayed. :P
10-05-08, 05:22 PM   #2
Duugu
Premium Member

Imho it's the topmost image in the list.
10-05-08, 05:24 PM   #3
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
right now it picks the image with the lowest internal image id. I do plan on adding a checkbox to allow authors to assign what image is shown.
10-06-08, 04:50 PM   #4
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Ah, thanks Dolby. So for now, I'll have to add/remove til I get the one I want where I want?

By the way, I'd like to recommend implementing a "modal window" to display larger images. In case you don't know what I mean, take a look here (an example):

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

Click a few of the images. It's fairly simple to use and would prevent the user from leaving an add-on's page. That's using jquery (I think).

Last edited by StormFX : 10-06-08 at 04:55 PM.
10-06-08, 07:57 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Using LightBox or similar would be cool.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-06-08, 10:46 PM   #6
hipjipp
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Using LightBox or similar would be cool.
I agree, but if LightBox would be implemented i'd like the option to turn it off since i've had some problems with it loading at times (while just bypassing it works just fine.. :P). Hope it gets up soon =)
10-07-08, 03:25 AM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Personally I would prefer not to have a Lightbox-type script for images... I've found that when browsing sites at greater-than-normal magnification they often appear partially off-screen. They also render a LOT slower than just loading the image, and have no consistent way to close them. Some let you click to close it. Some require clicking a specific link. Some require hitting the Esc key, and so on. They can look really pretty, but in general I don't like the usability annoyance they present.
10-13-08, 06:40 PM   #8
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Well, Lightbox is OK, but it's just as easy to customize it yourself and write your own code for it. In fact, I did that for a little gallery on my hard drive because I didn't like the way LB handled the CSS and layer(s).

I myself found it more reliable to use a div with position: static at 100% x 100% and then use the display: table & display: table-cell on two nested divs to enable both vertical and horizontal centering so I don't have to fool with that negative margin nonsense.

Also using jQuery, I made it so that the images automatically rescale based on the window size (IE window size - margin = max-width/height). So if you go full screen, then image adjusts. It's pretty sweet and really simple.

Jquery is a pretty damn sweet library.

Last edited by StormFX : 10-13-08 at 06:43 PM.
11-06-08, 05:45 AM   #9
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Hi,
I found this post by searching ( \o/ ), and was just wondering if there's any update regarding this? Still "planning to add"? (don't take it offensively )

The ability to choose which image to display, that is.
01-08-09, 10:27 AM   #10
Aranarth
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I also found this post by searching

On the 3 images I attached, it picked the config menu. Not really representative of the addon. I tried to remove all images, but the picked one seems to be stored apart, and I couldn't get rid of it.

Someone found a way to change that ?
01-08-09, 10:58 AM   #11
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I'd find it useful to allow the authors to choose which image they want displayed there as well, as when I'm browsing addons, before I click the link, I look at the image first, it's a quick way to know if it could be something you can use or not. If an image of a config menu or something pops up I'll still have to click the link and fo check the actual screenshots of the addon in action before I can decide that.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Image used in tool tips