03-25-09, 02:24 PM   #21
Nyte
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you feel guilty about not donating for an addon you download and continue to use, assuage your guilt -- donate!
03-25-09, 02:37 PM   #22
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Love the new feature, it makes it a bit easier for everyone

And while on the topic about per-addon donation disable, something nice would be that the authors can add people to a "whitelist" themselves, for people that have donated.

Again, very nice, thanks Team WoWI!
03-25-09, 04:42 PM   #23
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
I think what he's getting at isn't that he feels "forced"... but rather that because he sees them every time he downloads, he feels guilty if he doesn't donate. And I guess to that extent, he feels guilty if he disables the donation screens without donating.
Then the force is his own and not the problem of the site or author, honestly.
03-26-09, 03:17 AM   #24
Fuzzywuzzy
A Black Drake

If it annoys you, turn them off, it's that simple.
I regret i made the post, noone seems to get my point, it's not about the donation button or donations.

Imagine a 2 year old kid climbing a tree for the first time, he/she is fearless cause it can't/doesn't see the consequences if he/she falls down and all is going well.

The concerned parent pops up and immediatly shouts watch out you can fall down and get hurt! Now the child starts thinking about it and gets scared and becomes unsecure and might even have to get help to get down.

The point i was making is, why tell me that i shouldn't feel pressured into donating, when i didn't feel like that to start with, but you pointing it out made me aware of it.

There's a bit more to it than that, i'm probably just one of those that read something in between lines that isn't there, so just leave it at that.

Last edited by Fuzzywuzzy : 03-26-09 at 03:34 AM.
03-26-09, 03:23 AM   #25
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I got your point. Check my response.

Suggestions most definitely appreciated.
03-26-09, 07:15 AM   #26
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

all i get is a big gray box ,nothing there?
03-26-09, 08:53 AM   #27
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by tralkar View Post
all i get is a big gray box ,nothing there?
What browser are you using?
03-26-09, 09:26 AM   #28
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
You should really change the bit about "help make these addons stay free.". In reality they will be free regardless due to the policy. I think a better line would be, "help keep these addons in development!".
03-26-09, 09:39 AM   #29
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
following the WoWI tutorial you have provided, trying to generate a paypal "button", i made a couple of discoveries that i did not see mentioned in your tutorial (and of course i could have been doing something wrong, perhaps others can verify?):

1) it appears your paypal account needs to be upgraded to "Business" in order to save buttons and access them via any sort of "My Buttons" page. i initiated this process, it is not yet complete (requires a credit card, and a confirmation process via the credit card), but once at least initiated i am apparently able to create and save buttons

2) without a "Business Account", just using "Create Button" to generate HTML, i was not able to obtain a "secure button id"; i was only able to generate a "Secure Merchant Account ID" (which does not operate as a "button id"); this started out "encrypted", i had to click on a link above the paypal cut/paste box to convert the HTML content to plain text before i could access even the "Secure Merchant" information

my paypal account started out as a normal "verified" account.

your mileage may differ. hope this helps.

thanks much for this new feature, and the site, and everything else.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"

Last edited by acapela : 03-26-09 at 09:41 AM.
03-26-09, 12:37 PM   #30
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

If you have a "normal" paypal account you should give pledgie a try instead, it should be simpler.

Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
The point i was making is, why tell me that i shouldn't feel pressured into donating, when i didn't feel like that to start with, but you pointing it out made me aware of it.
That is EXACTLY the point. No one is pressuring you ("If you don't donate this addon may DIE!"), but we are ripping away that innocence and making you aware that you should at least give thought to donating. If you feel bad after this because you didn't donate, or you feel in some way pressured by the reminder, this is all of your own making.

Yea, I understand that you were maybe going around totally naïve to the fact that people spent a lot of time writing the addons you used and were interested in donations... but you can't seriously think that we'd feel as if we were in the wrong for showing a simple donation reminder? There's no high-pressure sales tactics at work here.
03-26-09, 02:03 PM   #31
Kallieen
Lady of Shadows

There's also a 'Premier' PayPal account. It took me about 15 seconds to upgrade my personal account to it, and it also allows you to create/save buttons for donations/payments/etc. The only difference between a 'Premier' and a 'Business' account seems to be that multiple people can access a 'Business' account.

Granted, my PayPal account was already linked with my checking account, so that may have added to the ease of upgrading it.
03-27-09, 01:26 AM   #32
Fuzzywuzzy
A Black Drake

If you have a "normal" paypal account you should give pledgie a try instead, it should be simpler.

That is EXACTLY the point. No one is pressuring you ("If you don't donate this addon may DIE!"), but we are ripping away that innocence and making you aware that you should at least give thought to donating. If you feel bad after this because you didn't donate, or you feel in some way pressured by the reminder, this is all of your own making.

Yea, I understand that you were maybe going around totally naïve to the fact that people spent a lot of time writing the addons you used and were interested in donations... but you can't seriously think that we'd feel as if we were in the wrong for showing a simple donation reminder? There's no high-pressure sales tactics at work here.

I'm well aware of the amount of time people put into making addons, i never said i didn't notice or had/have anything against a donation button.

I'll end it here cause I don't think i'll ever make someone like you understand what it is i'm saying, i'll just end up getting more insulted by you again. I'll be a good boy and go delete the few addons of yours i've been using so far.

PS: I'm done here so if you absolutely have to answer me, do it in a pm or something cause i won't be checking this thread again.
03-27-09, 02:55 AM   #33
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

So you're inability to explain to us how donation reminders make you personally feel forced to donate makes me an *******, therefore to punish me you're going to uninstall my addons, which were only benefitting you because you weren't truly forced to donate... did I get that right?

Man, how do I find new and creative ways to piss people off without even trying? That takes some sort of skill I guess.

Oh and $5 bet to anyone out there that he replies even though he said he's not reading this thread anymore *grin*

Last edited by Tekkub : 03-27-09 at 02:58 AM.
03-27-09, 03:13 AM   #34
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Hey hey, personal attacks belong in the addon policy discussion thread, not here.

(That was a joke... don't take this as an invite...)
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-01-09, 04:54 PM   #35
Ne0nguy
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Kallieen View Post
There's also a 'Premier' PayPal account. It took me about 15 seconds to upgrade my personal account to it, and it also allows you to create/save buttons for donations/payments/etc. The only difference between a 'Premier' and a 'Business' account seems to be that multiple people can access a 'Business' account.

Granted, my PayPal account was already linked with my checking account, so that may have added to the ease of upgrading it.
this should be added to the FAQs
04-16-09, 01:03 PM   #36
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

How does Pledgie works? How can the creator of a cause get the money people donate?
04-16-09, 01:44 PM   #37
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Pledgie is just a wrapper around paypal. It lets you track how much is donated and gives some badges that, IMCO, look better than paypal's. You give them your paypal info when you set up your acct.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Donations for Authors