10-07-10, 06:05 AM   #1
Zilver
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question Can I upload a FanUpdate of SpartanUI?

After spending a lot of time, I've done a FanUpdate of SpartanUI, but it seem that something is preventing me from getting it approved for upload ...

And since the damn system doesn't inform of why an upload was rejected, it seem that the only way to get it clarified would be to create a post asking.

The facts are that SpartanUI seem abandoned (no updates or word from the Authors since around 27 February 2010),
the SpartanUI website lead to a picture with no access to the forum (recently the forum was shut down, so no more contact that way),
(update today Google.com started warning that http://spartanui.com/ is hazardous)
the SVN repository was seem abandoned by authors too (last entry I can find by an author was also back around 27 February 2010),
also the current public available version is broken (and have been a couple of patches) which is also true about the version available on the SVN repository.

Also if you look at the SpartanUI version hosted here on WoWInterface it haven't been updated since "12-09-2009 03:20 AM", latest comment was on "08-31-2009, 06:31 AM" and the comment section have been closed,
Beladona told on forum.spartanui.com that he/she was leaving the project (can't be documented since thee forum have been shutdown for access),
Last update on curse.com was on "Wed, Dec 9 2009",
Last update on wowui.incgamers.com was on "07/01/2009"

So we got a very nice UI this isn't working as intended (also that will totally break once 4.0.1 goes live, since the needed oUF 1.3 won't be updated to 4.0.1 compatibility),
no one seem to be working on it, no way to get communication flowing with the author('s) ... this is all facts, so here is my question:

Can I post an FanUpdate version of SpartanUI on WoWInterface, or will it get rejected like the other two times I now have tried uploading an FanUpdate of it?

Should I do anything special to get it Approved?
Can the ZIP hold a SVN repository "link" to my personal SVN repository?
(tried removing this, but it was rejected anyway)
Should I write something special in the InfoPage?
(spend a lot of time creating a good infoPage listing info from SpartanUI's infoPage, including the changes I did, but it got rejected anyway)
10-07-10, 06:27 AM   #2
Ailae
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I'm not an admin or anything so this is just speculation.

But it's possible they're rejecting it because it violates the license provided by SpartanUI. Beladona said this is the license:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/ [1]

..which as you can tell doesn't allow for derivative works.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/spartanui/s...cs/License.htm
10-07-10, 09:00 AM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Just an FYI: Just because something has been abandoned does not mean the copyright has expired. As a general rule, copyright lasts for the life of the author and then an additional 70 years.
10-07-10, 09:43 AM   #4
Zilver
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Ailae View Post
I'm not an admin or anything so this is just speculation.

But it's possible they're rejecting it because it violates the license provided by SpartanUI. Beladona said this is the license:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/ [1]

..which as you can tell doesn't allow for derivative works.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/spartanui/s...cs/License.htm
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Just an FYI: Just because something has been abandoned does not mean the copyright has expired. As a general rule, copyright lasts for the life of the author and then an additional 70 years.
I do see where you guys are coming from, but seriously does it sound like common sense limiting the AddOn to a crippled state due to WoW API changes, I see no harm in fixing the layout to a working state so that It reflects the WoW API changes, and since the project seem abandoned it would be fair to the userbase of the AddOn to let at someone FanUpdate it.

I'm no law expert, so I really can't tell what that damn license is saying, but should WoWInterface decide to deal in the favor of restriction (due to the license) I guess that would be fair, what my problem is for now that they in no way communicate why they chose to reject uploads, leaving me to try and figure out what the reasoning behind the rejection would be ... that have in this case cost me several hours of writing, looking up information, and yet I still have no final answer to if I spend all that time for nothing.

So for some sanity, it would be nice to hear from someone from WoWInterface, to clarify the matter ... I don't wanna spend several more hours on it if it's all for nothing.
10-07-10, 09:49 AM   #5
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Generally when there is an issue with an upload a WoWI mod should PM you about the reason. Failing that, you can always PM a WoWI mod directly and inquire.

Regarding the copyright issue, if that is the license of SpartanUI, WoWI being a business that can be sued, they are only performing due diligence in respecting the license of the code.

I would suggest you PM a moderator on this issue if one does not respond here.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
10-07-10, 08:35 PM   #6
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Hi SpartanUI,

Sorry you were not contacted. We try and contact the uploader if the file is rejected however that doesn't always happen.

It looks like your upload was rejected because it was uploaded to an AddOn category and not a Compilation category. It also looks like it was missing an AddOn list in the description.

Fan updates for compilations are allowed as the compilation is made up from other peoples work to being with. We would be happy to approve it once the above issues are resolved.

I hope to increase communication further on this processes by adding better tools for our smods and admins to be able to easily report back to the uploader if something is wrong.

Again sorry you were not contacted.
10-08-10, 04:08 AM   #7
Zilver
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Hi SpartanUI,

Sorry you were not contacted. We try and contact the uploader if the file is rejected however that doesn't always happen.

It looks like your upload was rejected because it was uploaded to an AddOn category and not a Compilation category. It also looks like it was missing an AddOn list in the description.

Fan updates for compilations are allowed as the compilation is made up from other peoples work to being with. We would be happy to approve it once the above issues are resolved.

I hope to increase communication further on this processes by adding better tools for our smods and admins to be able to easily report back to the uploader if something is wrong.

Again sorry you were not contacted.
Thanks for clearing it all up, appreciate you taking the time to look it up and report back.
10-12-10, 11:33 PM   #8
Nêwbcakes
A Defias Bandit
I have eagerly been hoping for some sort of update to the spartan ui as it is without a doubt my favorite one out there. Then after 4.0.1 hit today i really really missed it... ugh. Anyways i would be forever grateful if you can get this up and working and post a link to it or something. Maybe im posting this in the wrong area but hell i just made an account so i could show my hopefulness.
10-13-10, 12:16 AM   #9
Zilver
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Nêwbcakes View Post
I have eagerly been hoping for some sort of update to the spartan ui as it is without a doubt my favorite one out there. Then after 4.0.1 hit today i really really missed it... ugh. Anyways i would be forever grateful if you can get this up and working and post a link to it or something. Maybe im posting this in the wrong area but hell i just made an account so i could show my hopefulness.
SpartanUI (FanUpdate)

Hovever i't still an Alpha release (work in progress, where bugs exist, are reported, and fixed) ...

a 4.0.1 version will be going live later today when I have had a chance to test (on 4.0.1) oUF & Bartender4 and the code I fixed yesterday evening just as the EU server's went down.
10-13-10, 10:56 AM   #10
Nêwbcakes
A Defias Bandit
Ill be happy to grab it and help out thanks very much

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Can I upload a FanUpdate of SpartanUI?