05-12-09, 09:32 AM   #1
JAG2_1977
A Murloc Raider

iMac addon issues. *warning noob questions* lol

hi all. Love nui+!!!! i'm having problems getting any add-ons, such as QH or Carbonite, Recount, Omen, DBM, etc., to work. nui+ works fine but add-ons don't even show and if they do they crash the whole ui. i know im doing something wrong but don't know what. so here is what i do and if i can be directed to a site or answered here i would be very grateful.

(this is on an imac just as a reminder, if it makes a difference)

1. download nui+ and put it in 'Interface' folder
2. log in to WoW to ensure successful(.......always is)
3. go back to WoWI downloads and download all add-ons I need
4. open 'Interface' folder and then open 'Addons' folder.....put first add-on, recount, into 'Addons'
3. log into WoW to find out its not working

am i putting nui+ in wrong spot? should it be in the 'Addons' folder instead? i download all the addons i need from WoWI, am i getting wrong version of them or putting them in wrong as well?

thanks for any help with this. i know i'm just doing something dumb but i don't know what it is. lol

05-12-09, 09:46 AM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

All of the addons should go into the "Addons" folder. If you place them directly in Interface they will not work.

I've seen several people using Macs that have had problems with unzipping files. Take Carbonite for example. It has three folders that all have to reside in the addons directory, Carbonite, CarboniteNodes, CarboniteTransfer. What had been happening in that User's case was their program to unzip files was placing all three folders into another folder with the original zip file name as the directory name. It caused Carbonite not to work for them.

Just wanted to warn you about some of the multi folder addons and the issue that has been seen with unzipping them on Macs mostly. If you need clarification I can delve deeper

05-12-09, 10:01 AM   #3
JAG2_1977
A Murloc Raider

that may be the problem. whenever i download an add-on, i only get one folder and i put it in 'add-on' folder as is. guess i need to start to open them and put the proper folders into 'add-on' folder. hope this fixes it but have to wait for maintenance to finish to see for sure. i love my iMac but even after a year with it, i'm still learning some of the ins and outs. thx for the help and i'll respond back with my results.

i have guild members and friends all ask why i lag less and never seem to have the 'normal' issues they do while playing. i say it's partly cause i have a very strong iMac and you use a PC.....(lol just to get them going)....but it's just my ui is superior to yours! (i'm using nui lite right now too! can't wait to have nui+ w/ add-ons going full board!!)

05-12-09, 10:07 AM   #4
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Any time you unpack the ZIP file you download you need to make sure you retain all of the folders it contains.

Also... just to be sure... you know that when you install Recount with nUI it puts Recount into your information panel and you have to click the red button to cycle the info panel around to the Recount page before you'll see it, right?

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

05-12-09, 10:57 AM   #5
JAG2_1977
A Murloc Raider

yep. i know how to toggle between map, recount, omen, battle log, etc. that is why i knew i was doing something wrong. i've played around with nui lite and now understand the basics of the ui. its putting the add-ons in manualy with nui+ that i mess up. i hate living on east coast when all WoW servers are on west coast......lose half a day just waiting for them every tuesday.

05-12-09, 11:13 AM   #6
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

lol, I'm in the same boat. East coaster here also. It's not actually the server location that is the problem, they have data centers throughout the U.S. It's where Blizz's home office is located, that's where they base there work time out of

05-12-09, 11:24 AM   #7
spiel2001
nUI's Author

<= another East Coaster, too

As far as installation goes, there really shouldn't be any difference between nUI and nUI+ -- nUI+ just has more features is all. Just make sure that you install the other mods on the same path you install nUI on and make sure you keep the *all* of the subdirectories in the ZIP file intact when you install them and you should be all set.

05-12-09, 11:27 AM   #8
JAG2_1977
A Murloc Raider

just to clarify, while realms are down and no one is playing, i have WTF and Interface renamed, and downloaded add-os:
nUI
Carbonite-3
nui_info_pannels
Gatherer-3
DBM-4
AuctioneerSuite-5
nUI_Transparent_Console

the three 'nUI' add-ons, one being nUI+, go into 'add-ons' folder as is. but aside from Carbonite-3, how do i know i need to put in all of the individual folders found in the download or if i can put the whole folder in? iMacs automaticly unzip the folder upon download but then leave it in my download 'stack.' is it just trial and error one at a time?

05-12-09, 11:32 AM   #9
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I know just from looking at a couple of those:

Carbonite: 3 main folders in /Addon
Auctioneer: Tons of folders in /Addons (Auc:XXXX , Enchantrix, stubby, !swatter, Informant, all into /Addons seperately)

Most of the Zip files created by Authors are designed to be unzipped with Folder Structure intact. I would say 99% of unzip utilities do this automatically, for those that don't, there should be an option. What is the name of the Unzip program you use?

*EDIT: 9 out of 10 times if you open the Zip file, and you see multiple folders.....Carbonite again for an example, 3 folders in the Zip, then those folders all have to be in the main /Addons directory. Addons like nUI, that have one main folder you can see, you just have to extract to /Addons as is, generally

Last edited by Vis : 05-12-09 at 11:37 AM.

05-12-09, 11:34 AM   #10
spiel2001
nUI's Author

YOu *always* need the sub-folders.

Every mod distributed starts with a folder name that is typically the same as the name of the mod itself that contains a {mod_name}.toc file among other things... typically also a {mod_name}.lua and/or a {mod_name}.xml file.

For example... with nUI's latest development release you have the following...

Code:
 nUI_5.03.02_Dev.zip > nUI -- nUI.toc
                       |----- bindings.xml
                       |----- Bars ------ nUI_Button.lua
                               |--------- nUI_ButtonBar.lua

(etc)
In this case, the "nUI" directory at the root of the ZIP file the one that you want to pick up and copy to the [ Interface > AddOns ] directory.

The same would be true of any other mod you download... it's always the directory at the very root of the ZIP file that you want to copy to the [ Interface > AddOns ] directory. If the mod is like Carbonite and has multiple directories at the root of the ZIP file, then you need to copy all of those directories to the [ Interface > AddOns ] directory.

Last edited by spiel2001 : 05-12-09 at 11:36 AM.

05-12-09, 11:47 AM   #11
JAG2_1977
A Murloc Raider

man did i just learn alot in two posts. formed a few wrinkles in my brain from reading all that. (wrinkles are the physical/biological reaction to new information being retained in long term memory. lol)

with new release do i need to download old nUI release core and then nUI development or just the nUI development will suffice, since i don't have a nUI+ core installed as of now? i'm still using nUI lite.

well i can't give you my unzipping software aside from it's integrated into OS-X but when i open downloaded folders if its a root directory it has a folder icon before it, if not it will have one of three other icons iMacs use. i can easily distinguish which ones i need or if i can move full folder.

your help was amazing and now i know i simply open the downloaded folders and look at file icons held within. ty so much, this help will be repaid!

Last edited by JAG2_1977 : 05-12-09 at 11:52 AM.

05-12-09, 11:59 AM   #12
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by JAG2_1977 View Post
with new release do i need to download old nUI release core and then nUI development or just the nUI development will suffice, since i don't have a nUI+ core installed as of now? i'm still using nUI lite.
All of the nUI+ Versions here (Release, Dev) are complete to the best of my knowledge. Never needed a core set, then an upgrade set etc. Just download the one you want, unzip and good to go

05-12-09, 12:51 PM   #13
JAG2_1977
A Murloc Raider

Loaded everything but have a few issues.
i didnt like carbonite so i deleted it and took quest helper instead. qh loaded and partly
works but i just dont have the quest tracking window or in-game map icons.
still cant get recount/omen. i loaded nUI_InfoPanel_Stats but i can only toggle between map and combat log.
how can i get qh quest window and recount/omen to work?

Last edited by JAG2_1977 : 05-12-09 at 12:58 PM.

05-12-09, 01:08 PM   #14
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Did you also install Omen and Recount (Preservation) seperately? The Info Panel only provides support to show them in a certain location, you still have to install the two seperate addons.

*EDIT: If I remember correctly with QH (it's been awhile), their Quest log default position is in the middle, lower portion of the screen. You may want to type /QH and open up the command list to see the options.

Last edited by Vis : 05-12-09 at 01:10 PM.

05-12-09, 01:56 PM   #15
JAG2_1977
A Murloc Raider

got everything working.....then i had to go and change from questhelper to carbonite. lol! only thing wrong now is i lost original mini map that came with nUI. how can i get it back and put it in center of ui bar. or is it gone since i have carbonite.

05-12-09, 02:05 PM   #16
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There is an option within Carbonite to integrate the minimap. Uncheck that option, reload your UI, and then you will have to re enable nUI's control of the minimap. Otherwise it will show in the top right of your screen.

*Edit: the nUI command to toggle control of the minimap on/off is /nui minimap

Last edited by Vis : 05-12-09 at 02:09 PM.

05-13-09, 01:34 AM   #17
JAG2_1977
A Murloc Raider

Got everything fixed and working. Love this UI!!! Thanks for all the help.

05-13-09, 02:25 AM   #18
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by JAG2_1977 View Post
man did i just learn alot in two posts. formed a few wrinkles in my brain from reading all that. (wrinkles are the physical/biological reaction to new information being retained in long term memory. lol)
If it helps to make things simpler on you when installing other addons ....

The wow client will only look 1 branch down when looking for a toc file to load. A toc file is a file called something like addonname.toc

Only 1 branch of the tree deep.

IE

/Applications/World Of Warcraft/Interface/Addons/AddonA/AddonA.toc

= WIN ! (ie it should load and have an entry in the addons screen , selectable from the character screen). It's always going to be like this no matter how many parts an addon has.

/Applications/World Of Warcraft/Interface/Addons/AddonA3.2/AddonA/AddonA.toc

/Applications/World Of Warcraft/Interface/Addons/AddonA3.2/AddonAOptions/AddonA.toc

= FAIL !

The last example won't work because theres no toc files at that 1st level of the tree for our poor wow client to see. So for example Auctioneer unzips into about 9 folder , each with a toc file inside it. It's those 9 folders you put in your addons folder not the folder it unzips to.

So when trying a new addon for the first time remember : The wow client will only look 1 level deep in the tree.

Is that a bit clearer for you

PS Don't worry about the whole mac thing. Many addon authors and addon site admins use them as well (off the top of my head Kaelten,ck knight , netcurse...)
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

05-13-09, 07:12 AM   #19
srtzero
A Murloc Raider

You wanna talk about losing half a day. Try being in European standard time. I'm stationed in Germany. So on Tuesday I don't even get to play as the servers don't come up till about 9pm. Since I have to wake up at 6am for formations, I can't afford to stay up late and play. But oh well so is the price of being in the military and loving WOW.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » iMac addon issues. *warning noob questions* lol