01-03-14, 02:23 PM   #1
Slackerr
A Murloc Raider

Slacker's UI

Hello, here is few beta screenshots from my custom UI.
Im working currently with Battleground, Arena and Raid profiles.
Im also going to test this with 3D-glasses and planning to make two versions: Light and Dark.

Im going to post more screenshots later! Feedback welcome.

... yeah i know, i got ****load of buttons. i like to play piano.

edit: upldated some pictures

Last edited by Slackerr : 01-03-14 at 09:54 PM. Reason: updating more screenshots
01-03-14, 03:05 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Could you post a normal screenshot later, too, please? For me, those make it very difficult to view your UI.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-03-14, 07:02 PM   #3
Slackerr
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Could you post a normal screenshot later, too, please? For me, those make it very difficult to view your UI.
I added more screenshots for first post.
01-03-14, 07:10 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Those giant "artistic" screenshots take forever to load and are basically impossible to see anything in.

Anyway, I'm not a fan at all. The giant black boxes covering half the screen are a giant waste of space. Way too many buttons everywhere, including right in the middle of the screen. How is it even possible to have that many abilities to use?
01-03-14, 08:56 PM   #5
Rainrider
A Firelord
Could you pretty please post "pictures" of your UI on monitors by other manufactures as well, so that I can be sure it will look great on my monitor too. In my case you would have to add 7 stars instead of one to replace the logo, I really hope this isn't too much work for you.

Edit: And please do not forget the different viewing angles. I sometimes raid while doing my yoga, so that would be important too.

Last edited by Rainrider : 01-03-14 at 09:02 PM.
01-03-14, 09:04 PM   #6
MoonWitch
A Firelord
Originally Posted by Rainrider View Post
Edit: And please do not forget the different viewing angles. I sometimes raid while doing my yoga, so that would be important too.
You made me pofhroyt my coffee over my monitor.... (no clue what the correct english term is for "laughing and blowing my liquid contents of my mouth out through my nose")
01-03-14, 09:26 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

I think "you made me spit my coffee all over the monitor" would be the customary English saying.
01-03-14, 10:20 PM   #8
Slackerr
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Rainrider View Post
Could you pretty please post "pictures" of your UI on monitors by other manufactures as well, so that I can be sure it will look great on my monitor too. In my case you would have to add 7 stars instead of one to replace the logo, I really hope this isn't too much work for you.

Guys, im working as a graphic- and web designer in advertising agency and i got lots of mockup materials like these displays and laptops... So its only copy-paste shiet for these screenshots. Im sorry if u dont like my style to post screenshots to your forum. Maybe im posting some 360 video shiet next time!

peace
01-03-14, 10:31 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

But the product you're advertising here is a WoW UI, not a monitor. If you're in advertising you should know that people want to see the product you're advertising, not a distorted sideways view of the product shrunk down to fit inside some random stock image of a random monitor with some generic gloss effect obscuring half of it and a blinding white background behind it.
01-03-14, 11:05 PM   #10
Slackerr
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
But the product you're advertising here is a WoW UI, not a monitor. If you're in advertising you should know that people want to see the product you're advertising, not a distorted sideways view of the product shrunk down to fit inside some random stock image of a random monitor with some generic gloss effect obscuring half of it and a blinding white background behind it.
Yes you are right! Maybe it was wrong strategy to post mockups like these. But im not actually advertising this UI yet. UI isnt ready at all and im just looking for some tips how to build it better from experienced guys like you. Maybe i posted some bad pictures and did it too early, but just wanted to post something about this project to this forum and have some feedback that helps me to build this UI.
01-05-14, 07:10 AM   #11
Slackerr
A Murloc Raider

Battleground

@ Battleground

01-05-14, 07:29 AM   #12
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

It seems to be a UI that favors clicking, am I correct? I don't see any keybindings, but it could be that you just hid them.

Either way, I'll judge based on my assumption being correct, in which case your action buttons are really small and waaay out of place. You shouldn't have to move your mouse that far to then have to click really accurately or you'll use the wrong ability, that's a design flaw.
Also, healers will struggle a lot with this UI, because raid frames suffer from the same issue. The vital information a UI provides should be as close to the area where you spend the most time looking, in 99% of cases this is the middle of the screen where your character is, because positioning is so vital in this game. Having raid frames all the way to the left of the screen is a huge problem, especially on a widescreen monitor where you'll have to move your eyes/cursor even further to get the information you need.

If it's not made for clicking, why show so many buttons in the first place? It seems like a waste of screen estate to show such an enormous amount of buttons, especially when several are of the same spell (Intervene appears 4 times in the same general area, but not all next to eachother for easy clicking either).

You should provide pictures from a casters point of view aswell, to show where you've put castbars and such. Don't forget to include target castbars too.

You should consider organizing your WeakAuras or whatever it is in the middle of your screen. That Retaliation icon is going to overlap nameplates a lot, as it does in your screenshot.
Finally, if I'm nitpicking, you should also consider changing the timestamps in your chat to not include seconds. You don't have to know which second a message was sent, that's incredibly irrelevant unless you partake in... I don't know, auctions via guildchat?
01-05-14, 08:03 AM   #13
Slackerr
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
It seems to be a UI that favors clicking, am I correct? I don't see any keybindings, but it could be that you just hid them.
I have hidden keybinds from bartenders settings. And im not clicking any spells. Everything is binded to keyboard and Razer Naga. Also using alt, crtl and shift as modifiers so thats why i have so many buttons.

Also, healers will struggle a lot with this UI, because raid frames suffer from the same issue. The vital information a UI provides should be as close to the area where you spend the most time looking, in 99% of cases this is the middle of the screen where your character is, because positioning is so vital in this game. Having raid frames all the way to the left of the screen is a huge problem, especially on a widescreen monitor where you'll have to move your eyes/cursor even further to get the information you need.
I think you're right. I have tested this UI so far only with Melee dps. I think i have to think new position for raid frames.

If it's not made for clicking, why show so many buttons in the first place? It seems like a waste of screen estate to show such an enormous amount of buttons, especially when several are of the same spell (Intervene appears 4 times in the same general area, but not all next to eachother for easy clicking either).
I have lots of buttons yes. Im playing arena and rbg so i need intervene macros for ea player and banner. Still, its easy to customize ui and reduce the amount of buttons, like u can see from

You should provide pictures from a casters point of view aswell, to show where you've put castbars and such. Don't forget to include target castbars too.
Yea, im going to do that after im ready with melee UI

You should consider organizing your WeakAuras or whatever it is in the middle of your screen. That Retaliation icon is going to overlap nameplates a lot, as it does in your screenshot. Finally, if I'm nitpicking, you should also consider changing the timestamps in your chat to not include seconds. You don't have to know which second a message was sent, that's incredibly irrelevant unless you partake in... I don't know, auctions via guildchat?
Im using TMW, u are right with overlapping, not good. Going to think position again. And yea, seconds are not necessary at chat! Thanks for the comment dude.
01-05-14, 08:55 AM   #14
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Slackerr View Post
I have hidden keybinds from bartenders settings. And im not clicking any spells. Everything is binded to keyboard and Razer Naga. Also using alt, crtl and shift as modifiers so thats why i have so many buttons.
You shouldn't have to display everything that you've keybound, though. You can hide them and retain the same functionality, but with the added benefit of seeing more that's on your screen. Since you're not using a viewport, you're sacrificing a lot of screen estate for essentially useless information.

I think you're right. I have tested this UI so far only with Melee dps. I think i have to think new position for raid frames.
Raid frames simply aren't that important for any role outside healers, so they get neglected a lot. I'm guilty of this myself.

I have lots of buttons yes. Im playing arena and rbg so i need intervene macros for ea player and banner. Still, its easy to customize ui and reduce the amount of buttons, like u can see from <snip>
The image you provided still has a TON of buttons, and I'm betting you could cut that down further. You don't need to show each Intervene macro, you gain nothing from doing that.

Yea, im going to do that after im ready with melee UI
Fair enough, most DPS/Tank UIs end up looking about the same, only healers really need to readjust because of raid frames and mana management.

Im using TMW, u are right with overlapping, not good. Going to think position again. And yea, seconds are not necessary at chat! Thanks for the comment dude.
Glad I could help, there are a lot of other people on here that can shed further light on what you should do to optimize your UI. In the end it's your UI, so it's up to you if you want to take their advice to heart or not, but most ideas aren't baseless.
01-09-14, 07:04 AM   #15
Slackerr
A Murloc Raider

I uploaded teaser video about UI to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQYLSv42iRM

This is just short teaser. Im going to release better video with more info when im getting ready with UI .
08-08-14, 10:48 PM   #16
kikabrenes
A Kobold Labourer
I want this UI please put a link *-*

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Slacker's UI