04-28-09, 04:15 PM   #941
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by petrakid View Post
Well, I think I have an idea - I'll have to run it by Blizzard because it will require their support. I can tell you that Addon Authors (who write "good") addons WILL benefit from this idea, and so will endusers. Authors who write any addons will benefit, but some more than others.

hang in there, because once I get this approved through Blizzard, it will change the way addons are written, and who authors do business with. If this works it WILL put WM out of business, and probably cause WoWi and Curse to make a run for their money

And what's really cool is, it's going to be not for profit - I won't make any money from it what so ever!

I have 3 more weeks of school, and when I'm out for summer, this will be my primary project.
Certainly can't fault you for aiming for the top, but I don't think you're going to be able to offer the same community that Curse/WoWI do, at least to give them a run for there money. Certainly will wait and see what you come up with thought.
04-28-09, 09:46 PM   #942
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
It's great, though, to hear something in the way of new ideas.

You with the ideas: beware the squirrel!!

04-28-09, 10:26 PM   #943
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
hehehe

<3 Dilbert
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-29-09, 02:21 AM   #944
Thrillseeker
A Murloc Raider
Well, now its a few weeks past 3.1 and the WoWMatrix-"Blockade". I'm using mostly the curse-updater for updating my addons. For a few other I visit their sites every few days and download by Hand. Not too bad, although I don't like using anything curse-related. They still suck. I'd rather use a wowinterface-updater.

What I still don't understand: Why and how is this new situation better for YOU!? Curse or Wowinterface, doesn't matter. You still don't earn money through me and I'm still using around the same amount of bandwidth from you.

I don't get it...
04-29-09, 07:10 AM   #945
Nuchaleft
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post
Well, now its a few weeks past 3.1 and the WoWMatrix-"Blockade". I'm using mostly the curse-updater for updating my addons. For a few other I visit their sites every few days and download by Hand. Not too bad, although I don't like using anything curse-related. They still suck. I'd rather use a wowinterface-updater.

What I still don't understand: Why and how is this new situation better for YOU!? Curse or Wowinterface, doesn't matter. You still don't earn money through me and I'm still using around the same amount of bandwidth from you.

I don't get it...
Yeah, but now you're doing it legitimately
04-29-09, 07:26 AM   #946
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post

I don't get it...
You are using less bandwidth whether you realize it or not. See the posts on the topic. Also note that upon blocking WoWMatrix they saw a 50% drop in bandwidth (or was that Curse?).

That said, what makes you say they aren't receiving revenue from you? Unless you are running with an ad-blocker they most certainly are. Even if you are using one however, you are in the vast minority, and the pittance of bandwidth you cost them doesn't really matter compared to the number of users who are viewing ads.
04-29-09, 12:10 PM   #947
Reversion
A Murloc Raider
I'm confused, are we supposed to love or hate Curse now?

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Just remember that if you are using the CurseClient you accept the fact that it auto-updates itself whether you want to or not and auto-submits game info to their site, just as authors have to accept that if they upload to Ace their mod is on Curse now too whether they want it there or not.
04-29-09, 12:13 PM   #948
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That quote is taken out of context, is 6 months old, and is referring to the old CurseClient.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-29-09, 12:17 PM   #949
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
Originally Posted by Reversion View Post
I'm confused, are we supposed to love or hate Curse now?
I'm not sure where that quote came from, but the client doesn't force auto updating, and with our latest release profile collection for wowdb is opt-in.

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with
04-29-09, 12:55 PM   #950
Reversion
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Kaelten View Post
I'm not sure where that quote came from, but the client doesn't force auto updating, and with our latest release profile collection for wowdb is opt-in.
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...279#post103279

All nitpicking aside this all feels very Napster'ish to me. I understand the reasons for block WM but at the end of the day I don't see how its gonna help long term.

Curse is the best updater for now, and even once you turn off all the auto-update, always on, auto startup and profile features it disowns addons that I may change a line of the code while its going through author changes so I can still use it to some effect, which means every so often I have to check to see if it was updated manually which I find feels defeats the purpose of updater. (EG: Dr. Damage)
04-29-09, 12:59 PM   #951
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
Originally Posted by Reversion View Post
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...279#post103279

All nitpicking aside this all feels very Napster'ish to me. I understand the reasons for block WM but at the end of the day I don't see how its gonna help long term.

Curse is the best updater for now, and even once you turn off all the auto-update, always on, auto startup and profile features it disowns addons that I may change a line of the code while its going through author changes so I can still use it to some effect, which means every so often I have to check to see if it was updated manually which I find feels defeats the purpose of updater. (EG: Dr. Damage)
The basic logic behind that is:

Would it be better for it to bulldoze your changes?

We erred on the side of caution with regards to that. Although it should still show the latest version available on the site. hrm...

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with
04-29-09, 01:05 PM   #952
Reversion
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Kaelten View Post
The basic logic behind that is:

Would it be better for it to bulldoze your changes?

We erred on the side of caution with regards to that. Although it should still show the latest version available on the site. hrm...
Well not bulldoze, an ignore addon option would work. Something that will show me that it has been updated but make it exempt for the mass auto-update button. Dr. Damage is already updated now I hear so it's not a great example.

This is rather then lumping it in unidentified addons tab that is, that way a quick visual reference is up front at all times.
04-29-09, 01:23 PM   #953
Reversion
A Murloc Raider
Also other minor things about the Curse Client like being not being able to get stuff that is not hosted on Curse like DBM's Raid Lead tools and spell timers and CTMod components for example (Yeah I still use some of CTMod, big whoop, wanta fight about it?).

Although this "MMOUI Minion" thing with its modules has me interested. We'll see how that goes.
04-29-09, 04:52 PM   #954
Reversion
A Murloc Raider
Just heard that the Premium Subscription to Curse was announced. Yeah screw that.

I stopped buying CD's and now I am going to concerts more to support my favorite artists due to actions of the RIAA. I'll donate directly to the addon authors if I feel they are deserving and not supporting a source who claims to be looking out for the authors.

GNU GPL from here on out. Where has the community gone because all I see right now is capitalists.
04-29-09, 07:33 PM   #955
Tuhljin
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

If your position is seriously "I'm a pirate (AKA a petty thief in this context) and proud of it; capitalists are evil!!" then you've already lost the argument as far as I'm concerned.
04-29-09, 08:00 PM   #956
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Tuhljin View Post
If your position is seriously "I'm a pirate (AKA a petty thief in this context) and proud of it; capitalists are evil!!" then you've already lost the argument as far as I'm concerned.
*cough cough*
04-29-09, 08:04 PM   #957
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Keep it civil guys ...
04-29-09, 08:31 PM   #958
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Hey now, I'm a pirate, and yet I retain the rights to throw a *****fit at people that try to make money off my work without my permission. The two are not exclusive. There's a big difference between getting something for free (even if they want you to pay for it) and making money off someone else's work (even if it's offered up for free). That's why you'll never see the GPL (or really any other license) attached to my work.
04-29-09, 09:05 PM   #959
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
If you are willing, would you mind asking them some questions for us?
Those are not legitimate questions, they are thinly veiled attacks, not an attempt to engage in a true dialog. You even answered many of your own questions, and surely know the answer to most of the others.

Actually Tristanian, I have to disagree with you on one part of this. Please note as I have said before and I’ll no doubt say again, I am not a lawyer. I’ve never claimed to be. But there is no way anyone can tell me that the courts would uphold one site using the resources of another site while not paying for those resources at all and while deliberately and maliciously bypassing all blocks the first site has put in place to try to stop the second site from using those resources. It’s completely ludicrious to think that any court would allow that.
Tristanian is correct. What they did is perfectly legal.

They simply wrote a front end to accessing your data. WoWMatrix themselves NEVER used your bandwidth. The users of the software they provide did. This is not "WoWMatrix stealing bandwidth" because that is very simply not what they did.

They provide an alternative front end for users to access content on your site, and in much the same fashion that many other "custom content" front ends do. I could write a simple script for Firefox that strips out all the content on every addon page I visit on WoWInterface except the Download link and version numbers, if I wanted. I could then distribute that script to others. Nothing I am doing with that is illegal, and is barely different from what WoWMatrix was doing.

Vilify them all you want, but the "bandwidth stealing" and "WM was breaking the law" argument remains the most incorrect points used to describe what was happening.
04-29-09, 09:18 PM   #960
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
And that announcement still makes my blood boil, given that there are two blatant lies in it.
Oh what, that they were off by a few hours on when you started the block? Come on, you've already admitted the timing was done intentionally because of fear of what would happen on patch day, so the matter of exactly when by the hour it was done ist just arguing over the wording and not the intent.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users