09-01-12, 04:59 PM   #321
Reddsonja
A Fallenroot Satyr
Another bug I found. Used to when you'd target an NPC, mob or player, it would put a little dot on your minimap so you could see where it was in relation to you. Now that dot is gone. Not sure if it's something to do with the addon or it's from the patch but that was useful, especially when NPC-scan would go off and target a rare for ya.

I was just doing the fishing daily looking for the crawfish and noticed when I target them it doesn't show up on the map.

09-01-12, 05:06 PM   #322
Twink
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Reddsonja View Post
Another bug I found. Used to when you'd target an NPC, mob or player, it would put a little dot on your minimap so you could see where it was in relation to you. Now that dot is gone. Not sure if it's something to do with the addon or it's from the patch but that was useful, especially when NPC-scan would go off and target a rare for ya.

I was just doing the fishing daily looking for the crawfish and noticed when I target them it doesn't show up on the map.
This is now part of the game rather than an addon. Click the "tracking" spyglass/magnifying glass on your minimap buttons and tick "Target"

09-01-12, 05:59 PM   #323
ibrettj
A Kobold Labourer
Smile Thanks

@ Rythal,

I noticed your comment, that most people would prefer to stick with Carbonite rather than try something new and that this was one of the reasons you were reluctant to start from scratch, (besides the hideous amount of work involved)

So I just thought i would throw in my opinion, ever since 5.0.4 hit last week i've been trawling the internet with the search term "Carbonite Replacement" or "Carbonite type map add-on" and tonight discovered this post.

My point, is that i cant be the only one searching Google, Curse, anywhere they can think of with these search terms. As some of the other posts have suggested, the support and the response (or lack of) from the original developers has alienated some players, regardless of whether you had created a fan update or not, people would still have been looking to dump carbonite as it is, and replace it with something that will work in MoP.

Carbonite was a great add-on and the original developers did a great job. But if it no longer works then it isn't an add-on any more, its just a piece of history.

I know people may say we are all being a bit premature and that its an add-on for a game but its a game millions play. Maybe it is unrealistic to expect a working version on patch day (even though most other major add-ons were done on the day or just after) but it wouldn't take a minute to post on this forum and say "guys we're working on it, its on its way!", i know we would all be happy with that.

Given the response on this thread alone, i'd say people would be more than happy to use a new add-on (whatever you call it) if you chose to write one.

If you want the challenge and you are able to create a legal replacement, i'm sure the community will stand behind you and help where they can. You've provided better feedback and interraction with the user community than most software vendors. Plus, we've already seen you know what you're doing, because you've created a working replacement over a very short period of time.

Obviously none of us want you to break the law, but if Carbonite is going to die then someone will eventually design a replacement, why not you?

As I say, the most important thing is 1) that you want to do it and 2) that you can do it legally, after that anything is possible.

Just my opinion, but i just wanted to add my voice to the support for a carbonite type add-on, whatever its called, as long as it works

And in the meantime, a huge THANKS for the work you've done so far. I really can't tell you how happy you've made us all.

09-01-12, 07:43 PM   #324
killermllow
A Kobold Labourer
I registered an account to say THANK YOU to Rythal

I would also like to call-out the other lurkers and say "stop frontin' and register an account!" He needs to know how many of us are out there. Carbonite is a HUGELY popular addon and, like ibrettj said, many many people are out there searching for an update or a replacement.

Again, THANK YOU so much Rythal for taking this upon yourself. Just know that we appreciate you, and we're getting more excited every step of the way!!

-KM

09-01-12, 08:23 PM   #325
thrinetu
A Kobold Labourer
thanks

thanks so much for making this update Rythal!

09-01-12, 11:08 PM   #326
Kathan
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by killermllow
I would also like to call-out the other lurkers and say "stop frontin' and register an account!" He needs to know how many of us are out there. Carbonite is a HUGELY popular addon and, like ibrettj said, many many people are out there searching for an update or a replacement.
This inspired me to post just for the sake of posting. My wife is very thankful and so am I that this fan update has been done. I've taken a look at the carbonite code and wanted to puke, so kuddos Rythal! I know how hard it can be to try and understand someone else's code, it's no easy task and can take hours to figure out before even typing in a single character.

Sure I could install some different add-ons and have "carbonite" but it just comes down to preference and I just like carbonite, so thanks for all your ongoing work towards making carbonite mop compatible.

09-01-12, 11:08 PM   #327
Alyssea
A Defias Bandit

Thank you <3

I started using Carbonite about a year ago. I was new to WoW and doing everything by myself. And then my friend told me about Carbonite and helped me learn how to use it and such. So imagine my dismay when 5.04 came out and there was no update for it. I was devastated because I rely heavily on it for just about everything I do (next to NPC Scan and Silver Dragon). My friend was a bit lost as well as well as people we had turned on to the add on (Just about everyone I play with use it now.) Coming across this has been a life saver to us. We've all installed it (I just installed it for my sister.)

So all I have to say is whether it be a fan update or an actual update from the Devs It will be used. Whether we are questing, gathering, or just searching for areas we use Carbonite. So thank you so much to Rythal for the fan update it works brilliantly for me.

(Made this account just to say that )

09-02-12, 05:22 AM   #328
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
I'm actually trying to fix the starter zone seperate maps right now before I update. Convincing the game your still in elwynn forest instead of Northshire, and not displaying the new map at all... But it's being a real pain in the ass trying to figure out the scaling of the micro zone. Punching in the numbers from say elywnn forest, for northshire didn't work even tho they are the same maps same area, and I have still yet to figure out where they got the original scaling information from.

I might upload a new version anyways, so far i've got the group questing fixed, and the minimap transparencies have made a return with new options to dock / fullsize in cities to stop the black circle (which interestingly enough, the black circle problem started years ago in the MAC client... odd it's made it's way into the PC one).
Please ignore my following comments if they are "way out in left field!" I am not a programmer and I know nothing about coding addons.

I noticed in a few previous posts that there's confusion in deciphering how Blizzard's or Carbonite's coding was done in reference to maps, scaling, zones, starting areas of game play, etc. So, I'm just wondering whether any of the difficulties relate to Blizzard's "Phasing"? If so, could that have anything to do with how some maps are used to display the exact same area as compared to other maps being used depending upon a char's level, or when char's are involved in certain quests, etc?

This is just a wild thought of mine, based solely upon imagination and having no technical, or programming basis at all. heh heh

09-02-12, 06:47 AM   #329
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
Please ignore my following comments if they are "way out in left field!" I am not a programmer and I know nothing about coding addons.

I noticed in a few previous posts that there's confusion in deciphering how Blizzard's or Carbonite's coding was done in reference to maps, scaling, zones, starting areas of game play, etc. So, I'm just wondering whether any of the difficulties relate to Blizzard's "Phasing"? If so, could that have anything to do with how some maps are used to display the exact same area as compared to other maps being used depending upon a char's level, or when char's are involved in certain quests, etc?

This is just a wild thought of mine, based solely upon imagination and having no technical, or programming basis at all. heh heh
sort of, but no... i'll explain it using elwynn forest as the example, before Northshire use to be a subzone like Goldshire or Molsen's farm, you were still in Elwynn forest as a whole. Now it's a totally seperate zone while in the same place, so crossing the line and entering it is like entering westfall or redridge, the game expects a new map to be displayed.

What i'm doing right now is taking that new zone, and instead of displaying it's map, i'm super imposing your location in it, overtop of where it's subzone use to be. That's where the scaling came in, because when your in Elwynn forest taking one step means you moved 10 yards or so and all the maps are designed to reflect that, but the new Northshire subzone, trying to set things so you move 10 yards on the map while inside it, 10 steps would cover the entire road abby to guard gate. It's real scale is 1.5 or so instead of 10. Once i've figured out the scale, I have to change the offsets of your cursor location so your location on the minimap, reflects your location on the world map and everything appears transparent.

So far right now I have 8 of the starter zones done now, sometimes if you zoom really really close you can see a slight difference between where the 2 maps think you are, but to see it I do mean really close zooming to the point you don't see anything else on the map then you. That's caused cuz it's still off by .001 or so, and I'd rather spend the time working on getting them all done so the patch can be released, then striving hours for absolute perfection.

it's 9am and once again i've spent all night working on it instead of sleeping :| so no patch yet, when I wake up i'll get to the last 2 zones then it should be ready for release.

09-02-12, 10:09 AM   #330
WhaleTune
A Murloc Raider

Smile

Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Just a sugestion but the devs need to create a Kickstarter project and set a goal that we can help them reach in order for the project to continue. Once the project went to a donation only model, the devs had to focus on things that brought money home. That's understandable, and I can see why the project sort of derailed.

A large number of Carbonite fan's out there would be more than willing to drop even a few hundred dollars if there was a promise of an update. Ive donated before, and appreciate the work that goes into programing the addon since I use to program myself. Please create a kickstarter project and ask for what you need to be compensated for your work and let the community put their money where their mouth is.
Absolutely; Kickstarter is the ticket here. Myself (and my company) have already sponsored over 14 projects (mostly tech). It is an outstanding way to sponsor something the people themselves believe in, and don't have to wait for BIG business to accomplish or "decide" they even want to do it. More so, it is also a great way that smaller groups of fans who like something can bring it to reality.

Both good tech and gaming items have been getting ridiculous donations; like over 1000% funded.

I would actually like to see a complete rewrite of the code to update Carbonite, but only from the original developers (as they deserve to make the cash). So say they make a "fix" for now, but through this Kickstarter project make a complete rewrite of the code bringing it up to date with the latest API's.

Now, you have to realize how Kickstarter works, the developers can state the duration of the funding campaign (2 weeks to 3 months I believe). Once it gets funded...there is something like a five week delay until Amazon actually sends them the monies. So what I would recommend to the developers is:

1. Do a short term Kickstarter campaign during which we all donate...to see if we really mean it.
2. Then, if successful, do a quick fix for all of us loyal Carbonite fans with the promise for the rewrite.
3. Make sure your sponsors (us) gets the beta earlier than anyone else as a "prize".

Carbonite developers...here is the way to actually be paid (up front) what you are worth, and to see if the fans are actually blowing smoke about donating or willing to put their money where their mouths are.

NOTE - Anybody who has contact with the developers, please get this information to them! Thanks!

09-02-12, 12:51 PM   #331
Kreelor
A Firelord

Rythal, after you've rested and finished some of the many other requests that users have mentioned, maybe you can take a look at what I'm hoping for. Those POI are important to folks like me who haven't memorized everything in every place throughout the game. Sometimes, I want to "see" where something is, so I can set a path to it, if it's the closest one of some type of POI, etc.

For a long time, my Carbonite map has been unable to do what its developers say it's supposed to do, and that is to display the Blizzard's mini-map POI icons onto the Carbonite map. They said, or they used to say?... "if the Blizzard mini-map shows it, then the Carbonite map will show it." It doesn't work, at least it hasn't worked for me in years.

Here's the only reference I can find using this forum's 'search' for "POI." Notice the date when it was first posted, and also note that the developer replied with a seemingly "non answer" to the question. My problem is the same as the original poster's problem. My Carbonite map does NOT display all the POI's that Blizzard's mini-map shows.

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...&highlight=POI

If you're compiling your own list of "user's wish-list items," then please add mine. I've had to do without both the Carbonite's " ? " (Guide) not working, and the POI's not being visible (reflected onto the Carbonite map) for years, so I can certainly wait.

Rest up and feel happy!

09-02-12, 12:59 PM   #332
Sloshy
A Kobold Labourer

Thanks!

I registered an account just to say thank you for your work. Cheers!

09-02-12, 01:22 PM   #333
anteract
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by WhaleTune View Post
Carbonite developers...here is the way to actually be paid (up front) what you are worth, and to see if the fans are actually blowing smoke about donating or willing to put their money where their mouths are.
And then Blizzard blocks it for "a commercial addon". This would be considered a scheme to avoid the "no commercial addon" rules, and Bliz isn't really that stupid that they would allow it.

09-02-12, 04:27 PM   #334
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by anteract View Post
And then Blizzard blocks it for "a commercial addon". This would be considered a scheme to avoid the "no commercial addon" rules, and Bliz isn't really that stupid that they would allow it.
I believe they wouldn't allow it, if and only if, the product is not released to the public. You could code these kickstarter sponsers as eager "Beta Testers" and that should work - but ultimately the final product with all the benefits needs to be available to all.

The kickstarter idea isn't a bad one - but it would stall the correction of Carbonite (if it doesn't fund quickly) to a few weeks out if they really wanted just money to fix Carbonite. It also may make them seem a bit in the addon only for money, which Blizzard could have a slight issue with (but I don't think they would ban the addon).

09-02-12, 05:23 PM   #335
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
5.004.005 is now up!

Fixed:
- Minimap transparencies have returned
- Group quest sharing should be fixed
- New options under MiniMap for autodocking / full size in known bugged areas
- All start zones are back where they should be on the map
- Removed Carbonite/Blizzard toggle since not needed anymore
- Repaired Completed Quest Fetching Again (still not sure how it reverted)
- Patch should work now in German, French, Spanish .. other languages will need people who can translate.

Known Bugs:
- Abandoning a quest sometimes doesn't clear it from your map, if this happens just click on autotrack button.

-------
What does bugged areas mean?

Some areas do not like the minimap being transparent at all, in the new client and if it is will just turn black. Dalaran, Cleft of Shadows, and Caverns of time are the one's I've found so far.

If you find an area that does this, I would ask you run /script Print(GetSubZoneText()) and post where it is so it can be added, or just post best you can remember (need to know the subzone not the zone IE Caverns of Time and not Tanaris).

Last edited by Rythal : 09-02-12 at 05:25 PM.

09-02-12, 07:36 PM   #336
Catitude
A Theradrim Guardian

Thumbs up Re: Fan Update

This is awesome ty
At this point there are 17 pages on this thread & I waded thru most of them again to find the Update link Not that it's a problem for me but many of the Carbonite users may have considerably less time or patience lol
It would be a huge help to repost the link when you notify us of an update to our update

I find it truely amazing just how many addons continue to be updated considering how many players only play for a few months following a new expansion.
Many of the addons I've adored have died quietly without fanfare following an expansion.
Many guilds created in the excitement of a new expansion fall by the wayside as well lol
My 10th lvl "Dead in the Water" Guild on a quiet Med Pop server, just went live again lol 3 active players for over 6 months to 100+ (not including known alts) in 3 days.

TY so much Rythal & thanks as well to the original developers of Carbonite...

09-02-12, 07:57 PM   #337
bigsleepy121
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Rythal started his own post so we can easily find his updates it is under
carbonite:General Discussion/carbonite 5.04

09-02-12, 10:37 PM   #338
cryangel
A Fallenroot Satyr
Red face

@ Rythal,
- Patch should work now in German, French, Spanish .. other languages will need people who can translate.

Unicode support??
Nx.Que1 data error occurs because, when I convert UTF8 to store.

If you can decompile Nx.Que1 and CarboniteItems, I will UTF8 data add.

09-03-12, 04:02 AM   #339
rayo4444
A Murloc Raider
Rythal! You are great!!

09-03-12, 02:40 PM   #340
Opa
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up Carbonite Now Works

Rythal, thank you so much for fixing carbonite, was lost without it. You are an angel

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Will Carbonite be updated for MOP?