08-26-08, 04:46 PM   #721
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
UI scale

Aye, once I unchecked "use UI scale" the bags are fine.
Once Fubar support is in, I am good to go.

08-26-08, 07:17 PM   #722
Archippus
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by eloora View Post
I just want to echo what everyone else has already said here - great work, keep it up, you're the man! OK now on to my usual cheerio peeing...

I gotta say, when I saw the beta version up for download finally, I was pretty excited! When I logged in, though, I didn't have any of the health bars int he dashboard, and the minimap was in its default spot. I'm not sure if I missed any special instructions, but it seems just pasting the new version over the old might lead to these anomalies. All looked well after a fresh install, untill I hit Pounce and realize I had no idea where my combo points were! Luckily(?) for me the bug that makes the default combo point display still visible down where the player window used to be is still in effect . It looks like you're working on it so enough about that.

Did something happen to the built-in threat meter at the center of the screen? I know I poo poo'd it at first but have since grown used to it (and the handy name of who the mob is targetting front and center). All I could see while in a group for the last hour was the health race bar.

A great new release overall. More testing and impressions to come - I know you're excited!
Aha! Another witness. I've been describing this issue, and I'm pretty sure Scott thinks I'm nuts. When I first install a new update of nUI, the very first time I log in with it, the screen is as you describe. But, if I log out and back in again, it's fixed. I don't understand it... but it is what it is.

08-26-08, 07:50 PM   #723
Mixmaster
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Just wanted to let you know I prefer the previous version layout. I want my mini map in the middle, and the ability to toggle party/raid the way it was. Kind of a set back for me...

08-26-08, 08:14 PM   #724
mscott998
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
please chek the release notes, he stated the threat bar was in his to do list. :-)

08-26-08, 08:15 PM   #725
Shackalor
A Kobold Labourer
Thumbs up

wow, I am amazed! A new beta version so soon. I thought beta1 was final and now I see nUI is still evolving. Evolving from something that already substituted a ton of my older addons and being my ultimate choice since I saw it.

I find it perfect for soloing, raiding and even for fighting in arenas. This is really my #1 addon ever.

I just can't wait to see what nUI evolves into.

Just an idea:
I hope Spiel gets his desired job in the very near future and a little bit later he stops working for money 'cause it becomes abundant.

And then I hope I will remember to suggest that similar to the latency sound, one would be able to assign different (customizable) sounds to different events in-game; such as a finished cooldown, a triggered ability, or the focus target casting polymorph, etc.

I don't know very much about coding at all, but I have the feeling that such a feature would require quite lot of effort...

Thanks for making nUI!

08-27-08, 03:16 AM   #726
iljott
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Spiel - you'v done it this time! I've actually moved all my characters to using nUI full-time! So far I've only had time to really try it out on my 67 druid (since I'm in the middle of levelling it). Next I'll try out my mage, warrior and priest.

I do have a few suggestions which you may or may not wish to consider (obviously I'm voting for the former!! ):
  • Whilst playing the druid I realised how important it is to me to actually see the state of my mana while shapeshifted. Would this be possible? I used to use an addon called DruidManaBar (or something similar).
  • I think this has already popped up before - how difficult would it be to make the portraits of your character and party glow when you get a dispellable curse, poison, magic, etc? I was using Xperl Unit Frames before nUI and this really helped with decursing on my mage, curing/decursing on my druid, as well as dispelling on my priest. I'm sure other classes would benefit as well.
  • I also used OmniCC which gave me an important feature. One of them was cooldown timers on my action buttons. If I had to take a hunter as an example, OmniCC would display cooldown timers on my special shots or stings such as arcane shot or serpent sting. I this way I would know that my arcane shot is usable in 3, 2, 1 seconds... I found it very helpful for all of the classes I played. I don't know if OmniCC plays nice with nUI. I'll have to test this out tonight and let you know about it.
  • Another feature which I found very useful was with Bongos 2 (and later on Dominos) which are action bar replacements. These offer action button glows when they are active on your target - for example, again on a hunter - while active on the target, the Serpent Sting button would glow until it wears off from the target.
  • would it be possible to include the buffs/debuffs (currently situated approximately just to the left and right of the pet bar) in the /nui movers? I've had a hard time trying to adjust my eyes from seeing the buffs/debuffs on me and my target from the top right of the screen to where they are now.

A recurring bug I've found (and I know you know about) are the buff/debuff timers on the player/targets which do not always show. Just a slight nuisance, especially after considering the rest of the work you've done.

Thanks once more Spiel. Great work! You should take a short break and enjoy the fruit of your labours!!

Last edited by iljott : 08-27-08 at 03:21 AM.

08-27-08, 03:52 AM   #727
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Archippus View Post
AI've been describing this issue, and I'm pretty sure Scott thinks I'm nuts.
You're right... but my opinion has NOTHING to do with your description of the issue ~snicker~

On a serious note... I thought that issue was resolved in the last update, but it appears to have migrated a few lines in the code. As best as I can tell, it's related to the tooltip manager initialization and in particular if you're installing nUI over an existing Beta 1 installation without having cleaned up all of the saved variables and so on first.

I'm continuing to work on resolving it.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

08-27-08, 03:53 AM   #728
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Mixmaster View Post
Just wanted to let you know I prefer the previous version layout. I want my mini map in the middle, and the ability to toggle party/raid the way it was. Kind of a set back for me...
I'm sorry to hear that MixMaster. You do, of course, have the option to continue using the original Beta and I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that once people start skinning nUI, there will be more than one skin that comes along with the minimap back in the middle.

08-27-08, 03:56 AM   #729
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Shackalor --

First... thank you for the kind thoughts.

Second... that idea of yours is brilliant and probably not a huge ordeal to accomplish. I'll definitely put that on the to-do list.

Originally Posted by Shackalor View Post
wow, I am amazed! A new beta version so soon. I thought beta1 was final and now I see nUI is still evolving. Evolving from something that already substituted a ton of my older addons and being my ultimate choice since I saw it.

I find it perfect for soloing, raiding and even for fighting in arenas. This is really my #1 addon ever.

I just can't wait to see what nUI evolves into.

Just an idea:
I hope Spiel gets his desired job in the very near future and a little bit later he stops working for money 'cause it becomes abundant.

And then I hope I will remember to suggest that similar to the latency sound, one would be able to assign different (customizable) sounds to different events in-game; such as a finished cooldown, a triggered ability, or the focus target casting polymorph, etc.

I don't know very much about coding at all, but I have the feeling that such a feature would require quite lot of effort...

Thanks for making nUI!

08-27-08, 04:14 AM   #730
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by iljott View Post
Spiel - you'v done it this time! I've actually moved all my characters to using nUI full-time! So far I've only had time to really try it out on my 67 druid (since I'm in the middle of levelling it). Next I'll try out my mage, warrior and priest.
Aha! Another victim! And my evil plan to dominate the universe continues to evolve!

~grin~

I do have a few suggestions which you may or may not wish to consider (obviously I'm voting for the former!! ):
Hey! This is supposed to be MY evil plan!

~sigh~

Whilst playing the druid I realised how important it is to me to actually see the state of my mana while shapeshifted. Would this be possible? I used to use an addon called DruidManaBar (or something similar).
This is a recurring theme... I guess I really need to level my drood. Lord knows I'm tired of taking 30 minutes to kill one in PvP ~lol~ It's on my to-do list and I'll push it pretty high as I do hear that it's important to druids. Maybe I'll even do it before I do the rogue combo points... well... just because they're rogues. ~grrr~

I think this has already popped up before - how difficult would it be to make the portraits of your character and party glow when you get a dispellable curse, poison, magic, etc? I was using Xperl Unit Frames before nUI and this really helped with decursing on my mage, curing/decursing on my druid, as well as dispelling on my priest. I'm sure other classes would benefit as well.
The base code for this is already in the units. That's the code that is giving you the hit and heal indicators in the battlefield minimap. I'm just having some issues with it as a result of the issues with the buff/debuff icons (which is what it is based on) so I haven't enabled it in the release. For those that are interested, this is the nUI_UnitFeedback.lua module which supports highlighting the agro target with a red background, highlighting unit frame borders with damage taken by type: blue for magic, etc. and highlighting the unit background by curse: poison, magic, disease, etc.

So... it is coming, I just gotta get the bugs out of it.

I also used OmniCC which gave me an important feature. One of them was cooldown timers on my action buttons. If I had to take a hunter as an example, OmniCC would display cooldown timers on my special shots or stings such as arcane shot or serpent sting. I this way I would know that my arcane shot is usable in 3, 2, 1 seconds... I found it very helpful for all of the classes I played. I don't know if OmniCC plays nice with nUI. I'll have to test this out tonight and let you know about it.
Umm... *scratches head*

There are cooldown timers on the buttons now compliments of nUI. I use them all the time. And, shortly, the cooldown bar will be back in the HUD (I redesigned the driver for it, which is why it isn't there now). Are you overlooking the timers that are already on the buttons, or are you asking for something else?

Another feature which I found very useful was with Bongos 2 (and later on Dominos) which are action bar replacements. These offer action button glows when they are active on your target - for example, again on a hunter - while active on the target, the Serpent Sting button would glow until it wears off from the target.
This is also something that's already in the code but not yet enabled in thre release. Coming soon to an action button near you.

would it be possible to include the buffs/debuffs (currently situated approximately just to the left and right of the pet bar) in the /nui movers? I've had a hard time trying to adjust my eyes from seeing the buffs/debuffs on me and my target from the top right of the screen to where they are now.
I'm sorry to say that answer to that one is no. Buffs/debuffs are a unit frame module and tied to the unit frame skins. It is possible to relocate them by creating new skins, but I can't do that via movers and that would require adding movers to every unit frame module (because of the way unit modules are designed) which would become an instant nightmare.

If you think about it though, the buffs on you and the main list of debuffs on your target are not something you really need to see in the heat of combat which is why they are located as they are "out of the way" so to speak. You debuffs on the target are front and center via the HUD, with their timers, so they're easy to spot and the debuffs on you (and buffs on your target) are also on the HUD and unit frames so you see them immediately.

I know it takes some getting used to, but I think once you do you'll come to appreciate the reasoning behind their locations. And, if not, you can always resort to modifying the skin.

A recurring bug I've found (and I know you know about) are the buff/debuff timers on the player/targets which do not always show. Just a slight nuisance, especially after considering the rest of the work you've done.
Yeah... after combat taint, I think buff/debuff icons are next in line for title of "bane of my existence" ~lol~ I'm working on them and sincerely look forward to the day they are reliable.

Thanks once more Spiel. Great work! You should take a short break and enjoy the fruit of your labours!!
I've actually taken a couple. ~smile~ Spent Saturday PvPing and yesterday PvPing. It was nice to just play and not sweat the code. ~smile~

Thanks much for the feedback!

08-27-08, 05:08 AM   #731
iocontrol
A Fallenroot Satyr
v02.01.00:

Got this error when I was hovering over the OOR text on the Target UF.

Code:
[2008/08/26 20:45:17-20-x1]: Error: Original call failed while running hooks: GameTooltip.SetText:
1 : Usage: GameTooltip:SetText("text" [, color])(tail call): ?:
Interface\FrameXML\GameTooltip.lua:162: in function `GameTooltip_AddNewbieTip':
nUI-2.01.00 (beta)\Units\nUI_UnitPvp.lua:428: in function <Interface\AddOns\nUI\Units\nUI_UnitPvp.lua:427>
:
Stubby-93\Stubby.lua:354: in function <Interface\AddOns\Stubby\Stubby.lua:324>
(tail call): ?:
nUI-2.01.00 (beta)\Units\nUI_UnitPvp.lua:428: in function <Interface\AddOns\nUI\Units\nUI_UnitPvp.lua:427>

---
Sort of looks like Stubby & nUI not playing nice?

08-27-08, 05:41 AM   #732
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Yeah -- I'm not sure if that's an issue of nUI and Stubby not playing nice or if that's an actual nUI bug. It's actually the PvP icon mouseover that generated the error and it appears, on the face of it, that you were mousing over a PvP target that had not yet announced its faction which threw a nil string error. I've added a trap for it in the next release, but I'm curious how we have a target in PvP that has no faction... or it is a conflct with Stubby.

Originally Posted by iocontrol View Post
v02.01.00:

Got this error when I was hovering over the OOR text on the Target UF.

Code:
[2008/08/26 20:45:17-20-x1]: Error: Original call failed while running hooks: GameTooltip.SetText:
1 : Usage: GameTooltip:SetText("text" [, color])(tail call): ?:
:
Stubby-93\Stubby.lua:354: in function <Interface\AddOns\Stubby\Stubby.lua:324>
(tail call): ?:

---
Sort of looks like Stubby & nUI not playing nice?

08-27-08, 06:46 AM   #733
iocontrol
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Yeah -- I'm not sure if that's an issue of nUI and Stubby not playing nice or if that's an actual nUI bug. It's actually the PvP icon mouseover that generated the error and it appears, on the face of it, that you were mousing over a PvP target that had not yet announced its faction which threw a nil string error. I've added a trap for it in the next release, but I'm curious how we have a target in PvP that has no faction... or it is a conflct with Stubby.
This error was thrown at me as soon as I logged on and moused over the Target UF ... in fact, I'm noting a trend where most of these bugs (that I experience with nUI) happen when trying to grab info soon after logon (like less than a minute or two).

08-27-08, 08:07 AM   #734
Mularto
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Dreams dashed

ya know i had at one time entertained the thought of creating my own ui but after seeing 37 forum pages of bugs i think ill pass and just use yours lol

08-27-08, 08:11 AM   #735
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Mularto View Post
ya know i had at one time entertained the thought of creating my own ui but after seeing 37 forum pages of bugs i think ill pass and just use yours lol
~lol~

Oh go for it -- that's how you learn man. But, um... yeah... it's a lot to learn.

08-27-08, 08:48 AM   #736
blackfirefox
An Aku'mai Servant

Thumbs up Greatest Gui Around!

NUI is the absolute best GUI on the web anywhere. The interface is so easy to use and very intuitive as well. I just continue to look forward to the evolution of this GUI.

Once again Spiel hats off to you sir. Keep up the great work. You are in the thoughts and prayers of many.

BlackFireFox

08-27-08, 10:00 AM   #737
eloora
A Fallenroot Satyr

This is a recurring theme... I guess I really need to level my drood. Lord knows I'm tired of taking 30 minutes to kill one in PvP ~lol~ It's on my to-do list and I'll push it pretty high as I do hear that it's important to druids. Maybe I'll even do it before I do the rogue combo points... well... just because they're rogues. ~grrr~
Rogues aren't the only one with combo points!

08-27-08, 10:20 AM   #738
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post

I *really* want this job... so... everyone get together and let's do a collective 'ohhmmmmmmmmm' and send out the positive vibe.

Sending you positive energies!

08-27-08, 11:02 AM   #739
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by eloora View Post
Rogues aren't the only one with combo points!
That's okay... Droods are on my "list" right along with rogues. ~grin~

Rogues irk me because of the way they can "sneak up" behind me from half way across a battlefield as I am galloping by on my horse, then stun-lock me and have me 3/4 dead before I have any opportunity to respond after which I get blinded, poisoned and otherwise movement impaired so I can establish no range to be able to use the only effective weapon a hunter owns... my bow. ~lol~

Droods, on the other hand, lack that capacity. However, the fact that it takes 30 minutes to kill a single druid is a bit of an annoyance

~evil grin~

08-27-08, 11:20 AM   #740
slamb
A Defias Bandit
Super UI :)

I just wanted to add my own "great job" sentiments to the thread. I discovered nUI a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it.

I'm curious if there's any kind of plans for addons for you addon in any way? A big thing for me is, being an admitted altoholic and addon tryer-outer, my action buttons get bummed up every time something new floats by. It would be nice to be able to add a script (been planning on 'borrowing and editting' code from other addons to do this) at some point during UI initialization to put actions/macros/whatever on buttons (honestly, I LOVED MazzleUI for doing this for me automagically). Since I don't know LUA, this has been my proposed "learn some LUA" project, just hasn't come to fruition (too many alts to piddle with). My searching through nUI doing a Find for "action" "button" etc hasn't turned up any kind of native button fiddling on your part. I'd like nUI to pop up, and all my tradeskill profession buttons be in one of the lower button bar areas, or hunter stings on this part of a bar, eventually adding shortcut keys in the process, and make them uniform (multiboxing a horde of alts, I DO have a sickness ...

Don't know if there's a question, statement, or even a point there, but anyway, that's my plan. Thanks again for the work. I've recommended it to my guildmates (http://ksguild.org) too.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement