10-28-10, 02:09 AM   #1
nikki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
WoWVid Replacement

Maybe someone actually remembers this addon from way back in 2005. What it did was it allowed for you to view video while playing WoW by exploiting how video overlay works.

What this addon essentially does is create a resizable colored frame that in options would let you change its RGB value as desired. You then place the video being run in a program like VLC under this frame. If the frame is set to the correct RGB value than the video shows through the WoW client.

Now that I've started playing WoW again, I was going to try to find an old copy of the original addon to try to update it to this patch. However, I can't seem to find anywhere with the old source files. Does anyone know of an alternative or perhaps even have an updated version?

Supposedly the addon broke back in 2008 after not being maintained for three years.
10-28-10, 02:57 AM   #2
Nillerr
A Fallenroot Satyr

If it works like you say it does, then you should be able to use kgPanels for it.
kgPanels can create panels and style them in various ways.
10-28-10, 03:24 AM   #3
nikki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Reading its description sounds like it should work, I'll give it a try =)

Hopefully it does because it'll save me the work of coding my own.
10-28-10, 04:26 AM   #4
nikki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
It works, but it takes a bit of work to get it.

The addon doesn't let you set a specific RGB value, so you have to create a texture for the required color value for your program. It just makes the set up a bit more intensive. Now I can watch 90s cartoons and cult movies while grinding all day =D

Thanks =)

Last edited by nikki : 10-28-10 at 04:31 AM.
10-28-10, 04:34 AM   #5
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Make sure to tell us if it works, and if you had to do anything extra to get it to work.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
10-28-10, 04:43 AM   #6
nikki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I got it to work. I could write out a more descriptive guide to it if someone is really interested. There isn't really a good place to post it though. (Edit: I just found the member tutorials section. Thats probably a good place =P)

If I can find enough time I may make a specific addon to do it just to make it a bit easier. While Kgpanels works, a more elegant solution is possible.

Last edited by nikki : 10-28-10 at 07:03 AM.
10-28-10, 05:22 AM   #7
Nillerr
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by nikki View Post
It works, but it takes a bit of work to get it.

The addon doesn't let you set a specific RGB value, so you have to create a texture for the required color value for your program. It just makes the set up a bit more intensive. Now I can watch 90s cartoons and cult movies while grinding all day =D

Thanks =)
Using a "Solid" texture in kgPanels should allow you to chose the color overlay for the frame as far as I'm aware... That's what I've done several times at least.
10-28-10, 05:28 AM   #8
nikki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
It does, but the problem is that it forces you to select the color from the WoW color wheel interface far as I can tell. I think there may be an addon that allows you to select values by a specific RGB value, but the default color wheel just isn't specific enough.

Last edited by nikki : 10-28-10 at 05:32 AM.
10-28-10, 05:53 AM   #9
Chandalan
A Kobold Labourer
I got it to work. I could write out a more descriptive guide to it if someone is really interested. There isn't really a good place to post it though.

If I can find enough time I may make a specific addon to do it just to make it a bit easier. While Kgpanels works, a more elegant solution is possible.
PLEASE offer a guide... for us... or just for me
10-28-10, 06:52 AM   #10
nikki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I think I decided I'll build a dedicated addon for this, but I'll write something up for in the mean time later today. While yeah you can just use Kgpanels, it'll give me a learning opportunity and make set up easier.

It will be a bit difficult to write up because its dependent on your video player how to set it up.
10-28-10, 12:01 PM   #11
Garual
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Just tell me how I find out which RGB color to use
Or tell me which one works with VLC... (at least I think I still have it installed :P)
10-28-10, 12:53 PM   #12
nikki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
VLC at least used to be R:0 G:0 B:1 but I was having trouble getting it to run in overlay mode (as in run in the mode that makes this work). It used to be really easy but I think you have to patch VLC to get it to work in this manner now. I'd have to do more research, but give that value a try.

I used KMplayer which is R:15 G:0 B:15.

I'll do a write up later today with more specific information on how to find these values and such.
10-28-10, 12:57 PM   #13
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
It does, but the problem is that it forces you to select the color from the WoW color wheel interface far as I can tell. I think there may be an addon that allows you to select values by a specific RGB value, but the default color wheel just isn't specific enough.

ColorTools allows you to enter the RGB numbers or HEX numbers, maybe this will help.
10-28-10, 01:13 PM   #14
nikki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by ricks322 View Post
ColorTools allows you to enter the RGB numbers or HEX numbers, maybe this will help.
That'll help if people want to use Kgpanels to make their video frame =) I'll include it when I do the full write up explaining the process so people can try to make it work for their video player of choice. Thanks =)
10-29-10, 07:11 AM   #15
Garual
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
VLC at least used to be R:0 G:0 B:1 but I was having trouble getting it to run in overlay mode (as in run in the mode that makes this work). It used to be really easy but I think you have to patch VLC to get it to work in this manner now. I'd have to do more research, but give that value a try.

I used KMplayer which is R:15 G:0 B:15.

I'll do a write up later today with more specific information on how to find these values and such.
Thank you very much for the info. Works like a charm. With latest version of VLC I had no problem with overlay mode.
I even tried KMplayer and its better for this since it remembers position and size. So no mattter which video I open its always in correct spot. Not to mention you can choose the color key for overlay, which I didnt find in VLC.

On a side note. It 'only' took me like 2 hours to write my 1st addon which is also the worlds simplest addon. A button for panels using broker, which show/hides my (kg)panel for video
10-29-10, 09:50 AM   #16
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Finding and fixing WoWVid for WoW 4.0.1 was relatively simple.

Figuring out how to use overlay in VLC or KMPlayer nearly impossible
(doesn't help that I have very limited experience with video playback in general).

Anyway if you think the original addon would be useful I could upload the WoW 4.x compatible version to this site.

It works in-game, whether it allows you to watch videos I couldn't test.

Last edited by Dridzt : 10-29-10 at 09:54 AM.
10-29-10, 10:06 AM   #17
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I went ahead and uploaded WoWVid.

Should become available here if approved.

If any of the authors here want author status so they can experiment,
change it or add features, drop me a note or post here and I'll make a project out of it and add you.

All I did was make sure it works in-game for WoW 4.0.1.
10-29-10, 10:35 AM   #18
Garual
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
Figuring out how to use overlay in VLC or KMPlayer nearly impossible
(doesn't help that I have very limited experience with video playback in general).
So you can test it:
VLC 1.1.4: Tools->Preferences->Video->Output, select DirectX(DirectDraw) and make sure Accelerated video output is on
KMPlayer: Options->Preferences->Video Processing->Renderer, select Overlay mixer
and under General->Screen you can choose Color Key a.k.a color for ingame panel.

Edit: Oh, and Aero will be turned off while you watch like this since its not compatible.

Last edited by Garual : 10-29-10 at 10:37 AM.
10-29-10, 12:24 PM   #19
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Garual View Post
So you can test it:
VLC 1.1.4: Tools->Preferences->Video->Output, select DirectX(DirectDraw) and make sure Accelerated video output is on
KMPlayer: Options->Preferences->Video Processing->Renderer, select Overlay mixer
and under General->Screen you can choose Color Key a.k.a color for ingame panel.

Edit: Oh, and Aero will be turned off while you watch like this since its not compatible.
I tested with VLC 1.1.4 with the settings you described.
Aero was indeed turned off so I'm assuming I got them right.
I tried with the in-game texture in WoWVid set to R:0, G:0, B:1 and R:0, G:0, B:255 as well as with 0,0,0.

I just get a colored square, no video
Anywhere I can specifically find what rgb the VLC overlay uses?
10-29-10, 12:44 PM   #20
Garual
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
I tested with VLC 1.1.4 with the settings you described.
Aero was indeed turned off so I'm assuming I got them right.
I tried with the in-game texture in WoWVid set to R:0, G:0, B:1 and R:0, G:0, B:255 as well as with 0,0,0.

I just get a colored square, no video
Anywhere I can specifically find what rgb the VLC overlay uses?
nikki prob knows. But 0,0,1 worked for me.
However I also have good news. Tried WoWVid and it works :P

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » WoWVid Replacement