03-13-12, 07:40 AM   #1
Tithulta
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Red face Carbonite replacement?

I have no idea how much longer Carbo is going to be viable and I'm wondering if there is a Map out there that functions like Carbonites? The Map and quest tracker is all I use of Carbonites anymore and figure I might as well start looking for alternatives.
03-13-12, 09:16 AM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Unfortunately, I believe the Carb map is the only one of it's kind still working with the current version of WoW. Atlas or Cartographer were the only ones that looked similar if I recall, but I don't believe they zoomed the same way.

As for replacing Carbonite, here's what I use:

For the Quest Watch Frame:
Who Framed Watcher Wabbit

For the Crazy Arrow:
TomTom

To show quest pins on the map based on complete/incomplete/daily etc like Carbonite's parchment icons:
Wholly

For the Wholly addon to have a DB of all the Quests:
Grail

Sadly, I don't have a replacement for the "look and feel" of Carb's maps.Hope this helps.

Last edited by Vis : 03-13-12 at 05:08 PM.
03-13-12, 04:45 PM   #3
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

I would also recommend QuestHubber for showing incompleted quest pins on the map.
03-13-12, 04:57 PM   #4
pavl
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Unfortunately, I believe the Carb map is the only one of it's kind still working with the current version of WoW. Atlas or Cartographer were the only ones that looked similar if I recall, but I don't believe they zoomed the same way.

As for replacing Carbonite, here's what I use:

For the Quest Watch Frame
Who Framed Watcher Wabbit

For the Crazy Arrow
TomTom

To show quests on the map based on complete/incomplete/daily etc
Wholly

For the Wholly addon to have a DB of all things Quest
Grail

Sadly, I don't have a replacement for the "look and feel" of Carb's maps.Hope this helps.
I've never used Carbonite so I'm not sure what the map looks like but I use Mapster for my map and it's great and customizable

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...6-Mapster.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...rEnhanced.html
04-01-12, 09:10 AM   #5
golbez
A Defias Bandit
Is carbonite dying?
04-01-12, 09:33 AM   #6
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

@golbez
It's on life support.
04-17-12, 03:00 PM   #7
golbez
A Defias Bandit
Wow.. that sucks badly.. why? Lack of developers?
04-17-12, 04:30 PM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

Probably.

That's the problem with gigantic addons that try to include every feature you can imagine. Over time, they just get too big. It gets to be a lot of work to keep up with just bugfixing, let alone adding new features. Nobody actually uses every feature, so the features the developers don't use get neglected. Maybe the guy who handled feature X quit WoW, so he's not around anymore, and nobody else really has time to learn his code and take over properly, so that gets neglected. Before you know it, it's so full of bugs that you don't even know where to start.

Also, addon authors are just people. Life situations change. New jobs, new relationships, new family members, or new hobbies might mean they don't have as much time to play WoW and write addons anymore.

Or, they might just have gotten bored of WoW and quit.
04-17-12, 06:44 PM   #9
Tithulta
A Black Drake

I saw a post somewhere the developers(4 of them i think) ALL have families in addition to fulltime jobs. All thanks to Blizzards addon policy change that forced addons to be free. Carbonite was and still is THE BEST addon for what it aimed to do. There are other addons that can do certain features as well or better in some cases. EXCEPT the MAP. If they pared down to bare essentials I'd say MAP is easily the ONE feature I can't live without. All the rest is just fluff
04-18-12, 12:26 AM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tithulta View Post
. If they pared down to bare essentials I'd say MAP is easily the ONE feature I can't live without. All the rest is just fluff
I agree that the map is by far it's best feature, along with the animated routing arrows for farming that make herbing and mining such a breeze. Been trying to ween myself off of the Carbonite map (since I have my doubts it will be updated any time soon), and it hasn't been easy.
04-18-12, 01:18 AM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

I saw a post somewhere the developers(4 of them i think) ALL have families in addition to fulltime jobs. All thanks to Blizzards addon policy change that forced addons to be free.
Blizzard's addon policy gave them families and full-time jobs?

Anyway, I also have a full-time job, and am in a long-term relationship, and am the sole developer for every addon I maintain, and I agree with Blizzard's policy. Blizzard already prohibits people from monetizing their game in other ways (such as selling gold, accounts, or leveling services for real-life money). Prohibiting people from monetizing their game by selling addons for real-life money, or by making money on in-game advertisements, is no different. Writing UI addons for a game is something you should do to enhance your gaming experience, and publishing those addons is something you should do to enrich the community that's arisen around the game. If you want to make money writing software, there are plenty of other ways to do that. If you feel that your time is so constrained that you need to get paid for the time you spend on your hobby, you should probably reexamine your priorities and your time commitments.

Back on-topic, I think most of the stuff Carbonite does (or did) can be done by other addons. For example, using GatherMate + Routes + TomTom will give you an arrow-guided route to follow for gathering herbs and mining.
04-18-12, 06:27 AM   #12
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I have no idea how much longer Carbo is going to be viable and I'm wondering if there is a Map out there that functions like Carbonites? The Map and quest tracker is all I use of Carbonites anymore and figure I might as well start looking for alternatives.
Honestly I stopped using Carbonite a long LONG time ago when blizzard implemented their own quest tracking system. I was a long time Carbonite fan, but it seems that blizzard implemented much of what it had already into their client. Saves me memory and it suites my needs. I always did wonder why people still keep using addons like QuestHelper and Carbonite. Either way they were great addons for the time.

Now the map of Carbonite that's one thing I do miss. It was fantastic!

if (sizeof(sadness) > sizeof(happiness)) { initDepression(); }
04-18-12, 05:14 PM   #13
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Xruptor View Post
Now the map of Carbonite that's one thing I do miss. It was fantastic!
Cartographer3 aimed to provide the same kind of minimap/satellite style map, but ckknight abandoned it along with all his other addons, and nobody ever picked it up. If anyone was interested in continuing the project, they would probably be able to take it over.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Carbonite replacement?