07-20-10, 11:19 PM   #341
eThuz
TeamBPS

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
lol, well good choice then!

As an aside on the Wii, and purely my own opinion, but I've always been of the mind that if I wanted to get up and move around a whole bunch, I wouldn't be sitting on the couch playing video games...
That's where you just play it like a normal console.
It doesn't /really/ matter how far you move the controller, just how fast.
In Zelda (ftw, by the way), I just flick it around (that sounded dodgy) while I'm seated on the couch.
07-21-10, 07:17 AM   #342
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by dragonflyy View Post
The new patcher system actually works like this. It takes what you already have and copies it. Then downloads and patches what's left. A friend of mine got in and took him 2 hours to install and play.
More correctly it opens up your MPQ files from Live and copies files out of there.

Then it kicks in the normal patching process of Launcher -> compare installed version & build -> download next build (inc it's downloader)-> patch next build -> repeat until no more builds needed.

It's been like this on the PTR for quite some time now
Originally Posted by Nuckin View Post
Actually, Blizzard's updater uses the BitTorrent protocol to balance the load amongst all users rather than just bogging down their own network. With this protocol, the more people downloading a file, the faster is goes (generally, depending on your geographic location)
Technically it also relies more on the more people that have a complete or almost complete copy of the file you are downloading.

The more seeds you have the faster you go as their bandwidth is devoted solely to uploading the file to you and less on downloading the file themselves.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 07-21-10 at 07:22 AM.
07-21-10, 07:33 AM   #343
Vilkku
An Aku'mai Servant

Here's me hoping that they give out a bigger batch of keys the next time... like 256, or so :P
07-21-10, 07:34 AM   #344
Kaidian
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Vilkku View Post
Here's me hoping that they give out a bigger batch of keys the next time... like 256, or so :P
Im guessing thats how many needed to get to you? :P
07-21-10, 08:51 AM   #345
magges
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Kaidian View Post
Im guessing thats how many needed to get to you? :P
How do you get on that point?

But i think 251 are enough.
07-21-10, 09:12 AM   #346
Motig
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by magges View Post
How do you get on that point?

But i think 251 are enough.
Just make it 300 if you're already at 251!
07-21-10, 09:25 AM   #347
xDD
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Motig View Post
Just make it 300 if you're already at 251!
Or 310 would be fine
07-21-10, 10:05 AM   #348
havoxx
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
More correctly it opens up your MPQ files from Live and copies files out of there.

Then it kicks in the normal patching process of Launcher -> compare installed version & build -> download next build (inc it's downloader)-> patch next build -> repeat until no more builds needed.

It's been like this on the PTR for quite some time now

Technically it also relies more on the more people that have a complete or almost complete copy of the file you are downloading.

The more seeds you have the faster you go as their bandwidth is devoted solely to uploading the file to you and less on downloading the file themselves.
The only major problem with Blizzard's down-loader is that it has no way to limit the upload, in other words, it leaves you starved for bandwidth, since it just eats your upload all the way, makes for very slow downloads.
07-21-10, 10:15 AM   #349
GT4
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by havoxx View Post
The only major problem with Blizzard's down-loader is that it has no way to limit the upload, in other words, it leaves you starved for bandwidth, since it just eats your upload all the way, makes for very slow downloads.
NetLimiter should be able to solve that problem.
07-21-10, 11:11 AM   #350
Jimbomcb
A Murloc Raider
Or, you could also extract the .torrent and use it in whatever torrent program you fancy while being able to restrict upload
07-21-10, 12:07 PM   #351
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by havoxx View Post
There's an option in the preferences to not limit background programs.

It's not quite a limited but it will do

Also you can sometimes grab the .torrent file straight out of the Cache folder.

You can also extract the .torrent out of the downloader file - Mac users can look at the Package Contents with a right click, PC users use some tool I imagine. The downloader would be called wow-(old build to new build)(os).exe (or .app for Macs)
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
07-21-10, 12:46 PM   #352
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
You can also extract the .torrent out of the downloader file
Yep, that's what I do for the large updates (over 500MB). It works perfectly, and I actually end up seeding a lot longer and more than I would otherwise with the downloader app.

I wish blizzard had a ".torrent" toggle that you could set and instead of downloading a wrapper app, it would just download the .torrent file, that wold be slick. It would have to be a hidden option to not confused the pheebs though.
07-21-10, 01:12 PM   #353
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
There is torrent links @ http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors
Somehow last patches missing tho

For windows you can extract torrents with a tool, but I think it was not working well with ptr ones

Last edited by Elhana : 07-21-10 at 01:16 PM.
07-21-10, 01:15 PM   #354
smoere
A Murloc Raider
while we're getting offtopic:

for those who already want to download the current cataclysm update while waiting for their key (or always wanted to know how the wow update system works):

**removed**

then simmer in anticipation for your beta key

p.s. sadly i'm not aware of a legal way to download the 4.0 client itself, as it seems that uses the same ip bound downloader as the SC2 preload does.

<edit> oh sorry, wasn't aware of that.

Last edited by smoere : 07-21-10 at 01:27 PM. Reason: removed instructions - haven't we said not to post this on our forums? ;)
07-21-10, 01:46 PM   #355
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by smoere View Post
<edit> oh sorry, wasn't aware of that.
Considering the fact that this is an Official Fansite, and that you used the phrase "a legal way" (denoting that what you were saying wasn't), methinks you had what amounts to a massive brain-fart.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
07-21-10, 01:50 PM   #356
smoere
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Considering the fact that this is an Official Fansite, and that you used the phrase "a legal way" (denoting that what you were saying wasn't), methinks you had what amounts to a massive brain-fart.
erm. no.

at least i wasn't aware that doing what the launcher does automagicaly by hand was considered being illegal.
my "a legal way" was ment as "downloading it from blizzard and not some might-be-illegal mirror".
07-21-10, 02:51 PM   #357
Shadowkith
AtlasWorld Author

This makes me sad panda... still no info from blizzard...
07-21-10, 02:57 PM   #358
Caiginn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm more disappointed that there's no news whatsoever.

Not disappointed with Cairenn or anyone else at WoWI, as posts from Monday indicated they are also waiting on some sort of answer, but with Blizzard. Even "you're going to have to wait a month for more keys" would be better than nothing at all, because it keeps folks' anxiety down.

I can't be angry since they don't have to give out any keys at all, but there are better ways to handle the delay. Oh well.

Last edited by Caiginn : 07-21-10 at 03:00 PM.
07-21-10, 03:04 PM   #359
Kuredo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by eThuz View Post
I rather MW2 on PC personally, but true that.

Got it and 6 games, my bank called up and asked what the hell I was doing, spending my own money like that! The nerve of me!
MW2 on Xbox 360!
07-21-10, 03:57 PM   #360
Krevlorn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Not that it necessarily has anything to do with it, but they might be holding off on beta keys due to the strain on battlenet next week from Starcraft 2 dropping.

At any rate, I bet we aren't getting any keys tonight either.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away!