12-05-10, 02:07 AM   #1
miniterror
A Defias Bandit
Exclamation different ui for each character in one account

is it possible for someone to have a different ui for each character in a single wow account? for example, my priest has a healer ui but i dont want that for my dk. would it be possible to use 2 completely different ui downloaded from here?
12-05-10, 02:31 AM   #2
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by miniterror View Post
is it possible for someone to have a different ui for each character in a single wow account? for example, my priest has a healer ui but i dont want that for my dk. would it be possible to use 2 completely different ui downloaded from here?
Err not very easily. I have my ui's setup as single addons that point to all the relevant files for each of my toons. It took a long time for me to get it fixed up I would say close to 40 hours of real time work.

You basically have to figure out with addons each ui uses, Then go through make a list of all the files each addon calls as well as and libraries then you need to make a single toc file to call each addon in that specific "setup" You have to follow the paths the the files exactly and in most cases additional toc files had to be modified. This is something you want to make sure your going to use full time. And then each time a addon gets updated you will most likely have to edit files again.

The alternative is to have inside your C:\World Of Warcraft folder several Interface folders each named properlly. InterfaceDPS InterfaceHealing InterfaceRanged etc...... Then each time you want to switch a toon your need to exit the game. Rename the current Interface folder to Whatever it may be say InterfaceMelee, then rename the interface folder that you are going to use next to Interface. A few issues with this is that you have to exit wow each time, You have to keep multipule copies of some addons.

There is another method using the addon called "Addon Loader" From what i understand you would modify the toc of each addon to specify what group that addon would belong to and then when you loged into say a priest it would load the addon's for the "priest"..... Don't quote me on this though i have never used it.

The next option is to create a custom Profile for each toon using "Reflux" Setup your layout the way you want it, then you would save the profile using the proper syntax /reflux save RangedDps. You would do this for each "setup" Then when switching toons you would load the profile with /reflux switch profile name.
12-05-10, 02:36 AM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Possible but will likely take some folder swapping to make it happen with pre-configured downloads.

Each compilation has its own WTF folder provided where the layouts are stored. To be able to change between them you would need to have the proper addons per set up enabled on the desired character.

Then you would either have to merge the folders (which will work if each compilation uses different addons) or you will have to log out and swap WTF folders so the correct settings are available.

Another way you can do this is to use all-in-one type addons like nUI along side a either another like it or a compilation.

Also, you can make your own UI by downloading addons you want to use then setting profiles (if available) for those addons that are specific to your character.

Alternately you can use Reflux to create profiles for most addons that do not have the option. This option will allow you to change set ups without changing folders.

... And apparently i don't type as fast as Nobgul =)

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
12-05-10, 04:07 PM   #4
Orko
An Aku'mai Servant

It is possible and I already created one a while back. I was a lot to keep updated and working. Basically you can do it with Reflux but both UIs have to use the same addons.

Here is what I made a while ago. It will be broken right now but its just showing that you can do it.
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...idescreen.html

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path -- and leave a trail.”
12-05-10, 04:37 PM   #5
havoxx
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

It's possible to do something like this with KGpanels, but it only does artwork, now with reflux and Addon Control Panel, it would be much more possible, but it would still require you to switch profiles in ACP and reflux profiles, so it would be a pain in the ass, that's the only way you can do it, unless you want to make some form of bat file in windows to switch out your WTF/Interface folders that way. My suggestion, find a single UI like nUI or Lui or Spartan(not sure if it still exists) and learn to play everything with 1 UI, that's really the easiest thing to do. I personally make my own with KGpanels, but I've since quit wow, I will most likely release my UI's later though, I just don't know if I want anyone using my work just yet .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_112610_172907.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	5440  
12-05-10, 07:49 PM   #6
Orko
An Aku'mai Servant

After reading this I decided to update my ui.. I will get it working and you can see if you would like to use it. Just want to show you it is possible.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path -- and leave a trail.”
12-08-10, 07:35 AM   #7
miniterror
A Defias Bandit
oh i see. so basically it would be really troublesome and quite impossible. what i wanted is for each character to have completely different uis. meaning different addons as well.
12-08-10, 08:55 AM   #8
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

It is actually easier if they all use different addons. You can enable addons per character in the menu at character select.

Certain addons will likely be reused among different characters. Such as an action bar addon. If it is one that supports profiles then it should take care of itself.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
12-08-10, 01:35 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Or... do the multiple folder method mentioned twice above.

World of Warcraft\UI-One\Interface
-------------------------------\WTF

World of Warcraft\UI-Two\Interface
-------------------------------\WTF

When switching between characters, exit completely out of WoW. Exchange Interface and WTF folders. Then restart the game and log into the other character.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-08-10, 03:27 PM   #10
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by miniterror View Post
oh i see. so basically it would be really troublesome and quite impossible. what i wanted is for each character to have completely different uis. meaning different addons as well.
As Midget said, it's a lot easier if you're using different addons (or even some of the same addons as long as they're set up in the same manner for both characters; ie positions and such).

Download Addon Control Panel and create addon sets for each ui setup. Then all you have to do is switch out from one set to the other and reload your ui. No logging out to swap folders needed. I do this and it works wonders.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
12-08-10, 07:02 PM   #11
unstoppixel
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Check out a mod called "Reflux"... it should help you out.
12-08-10, 07:33 PM   #12
A Defias Bandit
There are some crazy people like myself who have the space and have 3 separate WoW folders with different UIs for each.
12-08-10, 07:55 PM   #13
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Or check out www.nostockui.com's article on creating a "sandbox" setup for wow - doesn't use as much room as two full installs.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » different ui for each character in one account