10-19-10, 10:05 AM   #1
alrit
A Defias Bandit
Question Addon for Raid smoke flares?

It's a lovely function in the new blizzard raid ui.

But after removing original raid frames with no!CRFM or simular addons, I can never find the flag button to use smoke flares.

Is there a way or an addon can bring this flag button back? or make it a more interesting way using smoke flares? ...
10-19-10, 10:14 AM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I started working on something like that but unfortunately the relevant functions are protected.

Still looking at workarounds, I'll post (if no one beats me to it) when I have something that doesn't taint.
10-19-10, 12:39 PM   #3
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

The following macro works

Code:
/click CompactRaidFrameManagerDisplayFrameLeaderOptionsRaidWorldMarkerButton
/click DropDownList1Button4
Where 4 is a number from 1 to 6. The first 5 corresponds to the 5 colors and the 6th one removes all flares.

Since the macro works as-is (don't try to run it by typing it in the editbox, it won't work), an addon can of course also create an action button with type="macro" for it.
10-19-10, 01:45 PM   #4
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Xinhuan View Post
The following macro works

Code:
/click CompactRaidFrameManagerDisplayFrameLeaderOptionsRaidWorldMarkerButton
/click DropDownList1Button4
Where 4 is a number from 1 to 6. The first 5 corresponds to the 5 colors and the 6th one removes all flares.

Since the macro works as-is (don't try to run it by typing it in the editbox, it won't work), an addon can of course also create an action button with type="macro" for it.
This also taints.

Run it without opening the compact raid pull out even once (so it 'initializes') after logging on and you will see.
The addon button with macrotext attribute was the first thing I tried couple days ago.

Last edited by Dridzt : 10-19-10 at 01:45 PM. Reason: before -> after
10-19-10, 01:53 PM   #5
Vlad
A Molten Giant

I wonder why Blizz protects API that can't really be exploited with to begin with. This is one prime example, how can you cheat in the game by having an addon "cast" a flare for you? You would have to click to actually apply it in the world anyway -and that's already protected, so...

Meh, wish they could work as a team sometimes when coding the UI and implementing API. Feels like some decisions are not made as a team, that's all I am saying. Protect the code that you must, have secure templates for stuff like buffs, actionbars, e.g. so addons can't be used for playing the game for you, other than that leave the rest for the modders to use -also don't use local variables like the consolidation table, can't even hooksecure to alter it's function as there is no way of hooking a local variable either... keep stuff global when you don't got the options implemented to customize to begin with.
10-20-10, 01:12 AM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's a global thing, performing any "action" is protected.
Also, possible exploits don't have to necessarily be blatant.
Example, if an addon were able to cast flares on a timer script, it would constantly reset the AFK flag in the system. In essence, an AFK bot.
10-20-10, 06:00 PM   #7
alrit
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
It's a global thing, performing any "action" is protected.
Also, possible exploits don't have to necessarily be blatant.
Example, if an addon were able to cast flares on a timer script, it would constantly reset the AFK flag in the system. In essence, an AFK bot.
no need cast flares on scripts, all I need is a method to cast flares without the original raid pad.

btw thanks for all replies above.

Found an addon on curse : RaidMarkerBinding

hope it works in late raid.

Last edited by alrit : 10-20-10 at 07:47 PM.
10-22-10, 10:00 AM   #8
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
if an addon were able to cast flares on a timer script, it would constantly reset the AFK flag in the system. In essence, an AFK bot.
Bad example, as the only thing that would happen would be that the addon "picks up" the flare circle, you then need to left-click in the 3D world to actually cast it. Thus you can avoid any AFK botting by not making it reset the idle timer when you "pick up" a spell in that fashion.

I mean anything can be abused, even the current game lets you abuse it, in sense you can summary information on screen and tell the player what to do. Anyway I doubt they will change this, using a macro with /click is the only way you can do this efficiently I guess.
And by the way you can have all flares in 1 macro button by using the alt/ctrl/shift and mouse button 1 and 2, just saying.
10-22-10, 10:56 AM   #9
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Macros also taint and cause "action blocked" static popups.
I wish people would move on from those 2 specific scripts.

To test it:
1. Log on.
2. Form a party.
3. Use the macro to set a marker.
3a. If you want to be extra thorough do it in combat.

Tell me what happens.

The only way for the macros (or addons based on them) to work
for a specific session is
a. join a raid,
b. manually initialize the world markers dropdown from the compact raid manager.

You can now use those macros for the rest of that session.

Reload/disconnect+relog/exit the game, you're back at square one getting blocked.
11-04-10, 10:00 AM   #10
keegander
A Murloc Raider
Taint

I don't see why this would cause taint. I've seen it cause taint in other addons but never in the actual addon. Or am I looking at this incorrectly?
11-04-10, 10:08 AM   #11
Wickedshifts
A Fallenroot Satyr
Just to reply to your post for the World Markers, someone has already made an addon for that exact purpose. I dont know if wowinterface will delete this link but its hosted on curse:

OPie World Markers
11-04-10, 10:25 AM   #12
keegander
A Murloc Raider
Yeah it's the same way my mod, TargetCharms, is doing it. I've just heard concerns that this method causes taint.
11-04-10, 10:36 AM   #13
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

FlareUP can also be used.

I'm not using the same method as all other addons out there.
(not implying it's better or worse, just saying it's not the same)
11-04-10, 10:43 AM   #14
keegander
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
not implying it's better
Except that you are since you're saying other mods taint using the macro method.

I personally like your workaround but it's still cumbersome to have to use a dropdown -_-. Wish they would unlock the api already.
11-04-10, 11:06 AM   #15
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

My initial comment on this thread was before any addon was posted publicly on this site or curse.
(if you look at the date and compare).

I had (like several other people I presume) been working on it at the time,
and taint was coming up on my own testing.

The game actionbuttons are already secure and the easiest way to test
is make a macro with those lines and drag it to your actionbars.

I was getting blocked messages (not with 100% consistency but enough to be troubling)
just from using the macros with no other addons loaded at all.

Creating my own secure buttons made no difference.

In a nutshell, those initial comments were at a time everyone was "scrambling around"
more in the sense of "don't stop looking at it because it works most of the time".

I've made no mention of taint on my main addon page, but on the other hand
I do want people to know it's not using those macros in case they run into trouble with just the macros
(or an addon based on them)

11-04-10, 11:19 AM   #16
keegander
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for explaining it a bit more. I'm sorry if it came across as an attack on you; I just know you are the only one I've seen voice concern. I definitely don't want people having problems because of my addon and have started to look at it more closely since a guildie said that clicking on the flare caused one of her addons to disable. I never recieved a blocked message while developing it though. More testing is definitely needed.
11-04-10, 08:11 PM   #17
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Wickedshifts View Post
Just to reply to your post for the World Markers, someone has already made an addon for that exact purpose. I dont know if wowinterface will delete this link but its hosted on curse:

OPie World Markers
We won't hit you for linking to Curse. But it *is* uploaded here, too. http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ldMarkers.html
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-05-10, 12:11 AM   #18
Wickedshifts
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
We won't hit you for linking to Curse. But it *is* uploaded here, too. http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ldMarkers.html
Ah sorry didn't see it listed here anywhere... My Bad... please dont hurt me! Maybe this will cheer you up...

'Peanut Butter Jelly Time, Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Addon for Raid smoke flares?