02-28-07, 06:16 PM   #1
Shiroimin
A Cyclonian

Windows Vista problem...

Anyone else using Windows Vista and having video problems? It has to be the UI because when I disable all the addons, I don't have any trouble with the video. I just got a new laptop today and it has Vista, I can't use the regular interface anymore after having it on my regular computer. And no I can not install XP on this comp, because there are no XP drivers for my video card/sound/NIC (stupid microsoft...)
02-28-07, 06:19 PM   #2
liquidplastik
A Defias Bandit
What version of Vista are you using? Also what video card do you have? I currently am on Vista Ultimate with an Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX2 with the latest drivers and have no problems whatsoever.
02-28-07, 07:07 PM   #3
coniferous
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I would try updating your video card drivers as well. I've noticed that sometimes the ones provided by microsoft are out of date or just a wee bit wonky.
02-28-07, 07:31 PM   #4
Shiroimin
A Cyclonian

Vista Home, Nvidia Geforce Go 7300 (256 MB), there are no drivers for it at all... besides the basic ones,

other specs are well within the recommended settings
02-28-07, 07:32 PM   #5
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Microsoft is so cheap, I WANT MY MONEY BACK GATE! Typing small just incase they dont' read this and chase after me!
02-28-07, 08:18 PM   #6
Logdan
A Black Drake
You have a laptop. You'll have to wait for the manufacturer to release a revision for it, unless you want to just modify the .inf file to match your card.
02-28-07, 08:19 PM   #7
Logdan
A Black Drake
Originally Posted by Shiroimin
And no I can not install XP on this comp, because there are no XP drivers for my video card/sound/NIC (stupid microsoft...)
Then just get the drivers from the manufacturer? You don't have to get drivers from MS at all...
02-28-07, 08:41 PM   #8
Shiroimin
A Cyclonian

Nvidia or Dell does not have the driver... so that means I have to wait?... stupid vista crap ...
02-28-07, 08:43 PM   #9
Logdan
A Black Drake
Well, if you know how to modify .inf files, you could modify the most recent one from nVidia to work on your laptop.
02-28-07, 08:43 PM   #10
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

good thing I haven't installed my vista yet haha
02-28-07, 08:47 PM   #11
Shiroimin
A Cyclonian

Hold on, I just actually found some on Dell... (yeah stupid me)... lets see if that helps...

*edit yeah stupid me.... it works now sorry guys... i still think vista is crap...

Last edited by Shiroimin : 02-28-07 at 09:00 PM.
02-28-07, 09:56 PM   #12
Kierrkian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Hold on, I just actually found some on Dell... (yeah stupid me)... lets see if that helps...

*edit yeah stupid me.... it works now sorry guys... i still think vista is crap...
I have been playing WoW on Vista for over 6 months with no issues ( once drivers are updated ) I actually love vista..
02-28-07, 10:33 PM   #13
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Kierrkian
I have been playing WoW on Vista for over 6 months with no issues ( once drivers are updated ) I actually love vista..
VISTA has been out for that LONG? wow... I need to do a lot of catching up not just my school work

Last edited by 123noob : 02-28-07 at 10:33 PM. Reason: forgot to put "up"... so english all over again...
03-01-07, 09:57 PM   #14
Kierrkian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by 123noob
VISTA has been out for that LONG? wow... I need to do a lot of catching up not just my school work

I'm a microsoft Beta tester as well as MSDN subscriber. I first touched Vista when it was called Longhorn then let it sit awhile ( other then reloads and testing specifics for M$ ). Then when RC1 came out I started using it on a daily basis and lrunning WoW and other games/programs on it.
03-01-07, 11:17 PM   #15
Danelectro
A Defias Bandit
Question Downloading Mod problem

Can anyone help me? I have Windows Vista as well..but when I try to get a mod like X-perl it seems to not work. When the Install Provider comes up I put in the C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft and try to download it but it keeps saying that the compressed zip file is denying me acces to it . Please send me an e-mail at [email protected] if you can help me, it would be much appreciated
03-02-07, 03:10 AM   #16
Schintus
A Murloc Raider
Try visiting

www.laptopvideo2go.com

Read their FAQs and such

I.E. I downloaded v97.54, extracted it and downloaded the INF-file seperately in to the v97.54 folder.

Go install the driver manually via the device manager.
Be sure to pick the right .INF-file, which would be "nvqo.inf"

Last edited by Schintus : 03-02-07 at 03:36 AM.
03-02-07, 04:29 AM   #17
dafire
Premium Member
you will get some trouble with patching and installing addons as normal user...

you can solve problems several ways...

you could change the owner of the wow directory to your user that will allow you to add files and patch without administrator privileges. (vista might not ask you for privileges if you copy an addon into the addon folder... but it won't go to the addon folder but to an invisible virtual copy in your user directory..)

or you could just disable the uac thing in user management... this will disable the security feature that you are asked for admin actions and you will be admin all the time...
03-02-07, 08:06 AM   #18
coniferous
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by dafire
you will get some trouble with patching and installing addons as normal user...

you can solve problems several ways...

you could change the owner of the wow directory to your user that will allow you to add files and patch without administrator privileges. (vista might not ask you for privileges if you copy an addon into the addon folder... but it won't go to the addon folder but to an invisible virtual copy in your user directory..)

or you could just disable the uac thing in user management... this will disable the security feature that you are asked for admin actions and you will be admin all the time...
An easier way of doing this is just right clicking on wow and running it as administrator. That will get get rid of your patching problems.
03-02-07, 09:08 AM   #19
Wowgamer233
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Anyone else using Windows Vista and having video problems? It has to be the UI because when I disable all the addons, I don't have any trouble with the video. I just got a new laptop today and it has Vista, I can't use the regular interface anymore after having it on my regular computer. And no I can not install XP on this comp, because there are no XP drivers for my video card/sound/NIC (stupid microsoft...)
Just a question on this coming at it from a slightly different perspective than others that have responded...

Did you copy the WHOLE WorldOfWarcraft folder over to your new computer or just the Interface\Mods folder ?

Since the WTF folder contains hardware specific configurations then I wonder if copying over more than just the WorldOfWarcraft could have contributed to your problem ?

I've been playing Wow without issue on Vista for several months now. The only issue I have is during update cycles where Vista is quite paranoid about file changes that the updater makes. Accepting several prompts gets me through this but after several game restarts.
03-13-07, 03:30 PM   #20
morvix
A Murloc Raider
Sorry to dig out the old posts. I run on an Alienware ATI 1800 powered laptop with Vista Ultimate, I am an IT Consultant so deal with computers day in and day out. Vista will be a lot better after it's first SP, but you could not pay me to go back to the clucky old XP interface at this point. The active search and bit encryption speed up my work on this machine 10 fold. I do not see why people bash vista. Of course I have UAC turned off maybe that makes it seem a lot better. Everything I have tried to run in vista has worked fine with no real setting tweaks needed.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Windows Vista problem...