06-24-08, 07:01 AM   #21
Badious
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I run Symantec AV, ran TCP View on my system to check any outgoing connections, explored all process to verify their authenticity and see what DLL they were leveraging. Ran SpyBot S&D for Spyware detection, all in all my systems look clean as can be. I try not to install anything I shouldn't on my home PC's I really only run my design software and WoW and that's it.

I am really wondering if it has to do with the amount I played last week. I was seriously on from like 7 in the morning to 7 at night last week(sometimes later) trying to lvl my mage (with some breaks in there of course) Before then I only played maybe from 8pm-10pm(11some nights) so I wonder if the huge contrasts in play times made them think I had hired a power leveler or whatever..If I had I hired the worst power leveler ever since I haven't even made 70 with that much playtime Hehe. Oh well I guess I'm just glad to have my account back and will hopefully find everything in order when I logon, or Ill be filing some petitions I guess.

Thanks for your support all I really appreciate it, and blizzard fairly quick response to the whole situation, I was dreading it would be weeks before I saw my account again.
06-24-08, 07:49 AM   #22
erica647
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I'd really love to know what you find out so maybe others can avoid whatever happened to you. I keep hearing about this from friends who say they've done everything recommended by Blizzard to avoid this. If people really are taking the necessary precautions, there's really (obviously) a serious issue that Blizzard needs to address and soon. While you're waiting, you might want to reread the Blizzard forums for prevention of this type of thing and see if you may have missed or forgotten anything. I'll certainly be doing the same. I'm really glad you've gotten your account back and I hope everything is in order.
06-24-08, 08:09 AM   #23
Badious
A Cyclonian

I spent a majority of the night trying to read their Account Admin sections. From all the emails they sent they say it appears my account was hacked and someone else was playing, however I was in control of my account the entire time, no one else ever touches my account.. EVER..I am very protective of my password, to the point where the file I store it on on my computer is an encrypted file that only I know where decrypt key is at. Ugh, well in any case I guess I will never know since all my emails to the Admin get a cut and paste reply with no real info as to why my account was banned other than, check your AV Software to make sure it's up2date and all.

If I do find anything more out, I will gladly share it with you all so hopefully you don't have to go through this in the future.

/taps foot waiting for 1pm to come around to logon and find if everything is ok.

^^and if everything is ok, I can only come to the conclusion that they thought I had stole my own account since I played so much last week..lol
06-24-08, 10:31 AM   #24
syrupk
A Cliff Giant

First of all badious, I've been hacked and I truly know how much this sucks. I got everything back in a short amount of time, took about 3 weeks for all my gear I think. Plus, I got all my BOE MC epics back as BOE, didn't need them anymore, and made a ton of cash off them. Good luck to you and I hope you get everything restored.

OFFTOPIC: Your main is on hellscream? Horde, I am assuming. I swear I have seen you running around. I have a level 70 BE hunter and some other char's on that realm. I'll have to come and wave at you and see how things are going. Hunter's name is Atallicus.
06-24-08, 01:32 PM   #25
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Glad to see you got your account back and in order (more or less).

Just as note, I would be blown away if you got banned from your playtime. Honestly, the times you mentioned and levelling 3 levels in a week is nowhere near "heavy". I know people that have gone 1-70 in 3-4 days, or are logged in for 24 hours or more.

About the IP thing, Blizz uses it as a guide and indicator but it is not, by any means, some foolproof way to track hackers. I use multiple locations myself, but like a previous poster mentioned, If I logon from an IP block here in BC, Canada, then 30 minutes from an IP block in say east coast USA, or EU, then that would flag my account.

I had a friend that got hacked and it took him almost a month to get his account back and everything so I'm glad you only had a short wait.

06-24-08, 07:15 PM   #26
Badious
A Cyclonian

Blizzard is saying within the hour I logged off and they sent the email they saw someone trying to logon on to my account that wasnt me...someone I do not think they have realtime monitoring like that for 9million players....
06-24-08, 10:42 PM   #27
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Just be grateful.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-24-08, 10:57 PM   #28
VagrantEsha
Token Werewolf Fan

Premium Member
It stinks that that's happened, Bad. But at least you have your account back, eh?

As for being able to scan 9million players though, don't underestimate the capabilities of The Warden. Frankly, that thing's been the only thing keeping me away from trying new Druid skins, which I'd desperately love to use (considering how old the Druid looks at 70). They can track things like that easily... and it wouldn't be too hard for Warden to build a sort of 'ID hash' of your use based on the programs you like to have running, and your working environment.

They could have a hash of you at home, and at work, then if a new one is introduced which is wildly different... that might flag your account as worth investigating.

At the end of the day though, as irritating as that might be, it probably saved your account from having a hacker completely defile it, doing untold damage to it. So it really is a matter of balancing out the good and the bad, and in this case I'd think the good of it served you well.

Last edited by VagrantEsha : 06-24-08 at 11:00 PM.
06-25-08, 09:34 AM   #29
Badious
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by VagrantEsha View Post
It stinks that that's happened, Bad. But at least you have your account back, eh?

As for being able to scan 9million players though, don't underestimate the capabilities of The Warden. Frankly, that thing's been the only thing keeping me away from trying new Druid skins, which I'd desperately love to use (considering how old the Druid looks at 70). They can track things like that easily... and it wouldn't be too hard for Warden to build a sort of 'ID hash' of your use based on the programs you like to have running, and your working environment.

They could have a hash of you at home, and at work, then if a new one is introduced which is wildly different... that might flag your account as worth investigating.

At the end of the day though, as irritating as that might be, it probably saved your account from having a hacker completely defile it, doing untold damage to it. So it really is a matter of balancing out the good and the bad, and in this case I'd think the good of it served you well.
I am very grateful to have it back, I am wondering if they do have hash type system. I played on my Wifes desktop this weekend which is the first time in several months since I have played on a different system, wonder if for some reason that triggered something. I know The Warden is quite interesting if you look at what it looks at during game play it investigates more things about you that most probably would care for it too, but if you have nothing to hide it really doesnt matter I guess ( I saw this from a guys review online as to whether he though The Warden was spyware or not, which it is but, legitimately so I think otherwise how would they do it?)

In any case, I don't actually think anyone had access to my account, I just think somehow I tripped the usage trigger and that got me banned. Hopefully when I get my new laptop and play from that it won't go all crazy on me again and kick me out

Hurry up HP and release the Dv5t and Dv7t so I can order one of the two!!!
06-25-08, 01:42 PM   #30
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

Remember when you get back in change your password so this don't happen again..
06-26-08, 08:06 AM   #31
Badious
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by tralkar View Post
Remember when you get back in change your password so this don't happen again..

Well Blizzard makes you change it, but I certainly would have changed anyways just in case.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Account Banishment?