03-11-06, 03:14 PM   #1
jaythedogg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Lightbulb Requesting hotkey button delay deal...

Forgot exactly the term for it, but if any modder could make an addon that acts like the button delay in Everquest II, I would appreciate it, as I think it would be a great asset to the game.

In EQ2 you can start one action, & put another one in line, like say in WoW, on my Warlock, I could click Shadow Bolt & then immediately press fear, but instead of getting the error: Another action is in progress, it would simply highlight the hotkey button (fear) & start casting it as soon as it is available.

In EQ2, it was a standard feature, & one I loved might I add, however you could only put one action in que (sp?) at a time, to avoid people making automation macros.

If anyone knows of one, or is willing to work on one, I would greatly appreciate it!

TY!

Last edited by jaythedogg : 03-11-06 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Sp?
03-12-06, 09:50 PM   #2
jaythedogg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Bump

Bump.
+1 I say!

Is anyone working on something like this? Is it even possible?

03-12-06, 09:52 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Not possible, sorry.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
03-12-06, 10:04 PM   #4
jaythedogg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Cairenn
Not possible, sorry.

Because it is impossible to make a button que? ~or~ it is against the rules?

I don't know how to make/code addons, but I was figuring it would be possible, as EQ2 did it, that one could build this addon to activate the ability that has been put in que once it did a check to see if another action is in progress.

Figure it this way, you press the button when you are already casting something else, it says, another action is in progress, well, that is on our end, that much I know, that isn't server side, so why can't an addon be made that, instead of reporting back to us that the ability is not ready yet, it simply puts the ability in que, based on how long is left on the casting bar/refresh timer?

I think it is doable, but how? Unless it is against the rules of WoW, I think this would be a fantastic addon, it would really help us button mashers.

03-12-06, 10:10 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Unfortunately there is no way to put a "pause" in, with the API we have at our disposal. "One key press (or mouse click), one action." Without the ability to pause between actions (to let one finish and to wait for the global cooldown), no way to queue stuff.

There is one exception to this, as outlined here.
03-12-06, 10:25 PM   #6
jaythedogg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Arrow

I am going to learn how to code, & write something, albeit, possible or not, I never give up, that will know the times, cooldowns, etc. For each caster class, and build a que timer like this, one which has it's own casting bar that it uses to judge when to start the action in que.

I mean, if the addon were merely to que an ability that cannot be used due to another in progress (sounds simple enough, client side stuff) then start said ability once the casting bar has completed it's cycle (may have to include a secondary global refresh bar that runs concurrently, so as a failsafe, both must be finished to start action 2) I think it is possible, however, API what? script who? I will have to learn these things, but I think all things, if determined to be completed, can be done.

03-12-06, 10:32 PM   #7
Iriel
Super Moderator
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by jaythedogg
I think it is possible, however, API what? script who? I will have to learn these things, but I think all things, if determined to be completed, can be done.
It is NOT POSSIBLE, the cast requires a hardware event to trigger it, and you wont have one, because you're doing a delay (Assuming you're returning control to the game in the meantime, whichyou have to do because the UI is single threaded with respect to screen repaints, so until you exit, your client is going to be locked up).
03-13-06, 02:29 PM   #8
jaythedogg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
The reason I figured it was doable, was because, a que can be made, like click one & highlight it, while another is casting, the highlighted one would not cast until the casting bar/global refresh bars are both at 0, then it would trigger the button in que. Now, I see what you mean by needing a hardware event to trigger the next action, but that would have already been done, when you put the event in que while the first was casting.

The reason I can see this happening is if you take a look at fizzlewidget (sp?) Autocraft, it puts the events in que, & does them accordingly.

03-13-06, 02:42 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Jay, please, listen to me:

It
can
not
be
done

If it could, it would have been done already. It isn't possible, it doesn't work that way in WoW. Trust us on this one, okay?
03-15-06, 08:53 PM   #10
jaythedogg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Question

Forgive me, I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but trying to get a better understanding, please remember, I know nothing of the code side of addon creation.

In Fizzwidgets (sp?) Autocraft, it ques events, now, I know the existing tradeskill system allows for this, but give it a shot in game, & see where I am trying to understand how something similar cannot be done with regular abilities.

Sorry, I don't mean to be annoying, just trying to learn.

03-16-06, 02:30 AM   #11
Crispix
A Cyclonian

Jay... we can't "give it a shot", because the almighty Blue Power didn't give us the ability to code anything like into that to the game for UI's or Macros.

Trust us. If we could do it for you, we would, but simply put.. we can't.

Sorry!

Click my signature to see my current character!
Current Server: Lightning Hoof (PVP RP) Current UI: Mazzlefizz
03-16-06, 02:47 AM   #12
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by jaythedogg
In Fizzwidgets (sp?) Autocraft, it ques events, now, I know the existing tradeskill system allows for this, but give it a shot in game, & see where I am trying to understand how something similar cannot be done with regular abilities.
Hey Jay, the WoW client (currently) allows for tradeskilling/crafting items to occur without a corresponding hardware input event, so that mods like Autocraft (and similar variants) can do what you are describing. Many other actions (such as sending messages) also don't require a hardware event to occur.

However, normal spells (actions) do require a hardware input event. If you ask the client to cast a spell (e.g., via CastSpellByName or UseAction) and the code that asks for that to occur isn't running from inside the hardware event notification, the client will simply ignore you and nothing will happen.

Also note that checks like "Another action is in progress" are handled both by the client and by the server. If the client can decide things for itself (like spell not ready, out of mana, etc.) it does so first, in order to reduce the load on the server, but the server code still validates most of the decisions the client makes as well. On high latency connections you tend to see (for example) cases where your client started casting a spell, only to have the server come back and tell you that it wasn't ready yet (e.g., global cooldown hadn't finished server side, even though it had on the client).

So, bottom line, because of the way the WoW client limits certain actions to requiring a hardware event, what you are asking for can't be done. I'd love it if it could, because those players like me who are on high latency links suffer muchly when it comes to spell casting without it. But to have it, Blizzard would need to make some (probably big) changes to the client and server communications.

Hope that helps,
-- Cirk
03-16-06, 02:09 PM   #13
jaythedogg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Oh, wow, that actually makes perfect sense to me.

So, then the only way this type of addon could be completed would be with a 3rd party program, which violates the EULA/TOS. Hence, cannot be done either. Dang, I am thinking of maybe sending a request to Blizz (prolly won't get implemented, but worth trying) for the EQ2 style action que. It was extremely helpful & saved the player from mashing buttons.

Thanks though, I appreciate you guys helping to clear this up for me.

On a final note, Cirk, I love your addons, especially Badapples, as I use the Opium addon to track my KOS Alliance, but didn't want to use it to mark Horde as KOS "reason" due to just not liking their behavior, Badapples helps alot! Thx!

03-31-06, 03:07 PM   #14
jaythedogg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Found one!

Check out LazySumo's Lockbox

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=4740

It can run a series of scripted events, based on one hardware input.

So, is there a way for anyone to right an addon, that generates a temporary numeric script, that que's buttons that we have pushed while other events are happening?

03-31-06, 03:23 PM   #15
_dire_
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
No, that add-on, like everyother "IWIN"-button out there (that doesn't use 3rd party), requires you to spam the key continuously for anything to happen. It's just iterating a string of actions each keypress.
04-02-06, 01:06 PM   #16
jaythedogg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by _dire_
No, that add-on, like everyother "IWIN"-button out there (that doesn't use 3rd party), requires you to spam the key continuously for anything to happen. It's just iterating a string of actions each keypress.

Good point, didn't think of it that way. Too bad 3rd party progs are against the rules (for good reason tho) I do understand what happens with this addon, just wish there was a way to delay & activate the hardware event without the actual secondary event.

04-02-06, 01:29 PM   #17
Pester
A Cyclonian
queue...

please

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Requesting hotkey button delay deal...