09-02-17, 03:39 AM   #1
Eommus
An Aku'mai Servant
Hide gray stats on item tooltips

Hi,

After Patch 7.3 it seems they added alternate stats to mostly all old items, which appear on item tooltips as gray stats:

https://imgur.com/a/4xeKO

As a Warrior, seeing Agility or Intellect stats on my items, even in gray color, serves no purpose other than annoying me any time I view an item tooltip.

Is there a way to hide gray stats on item tooltips, without writing the whole tooltip from scratch? Perhaps with a CVAr variable?

Thanks for any ideas.
09-08-17, 02:44 PM   #2
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
For what it's worth, it looks like the greyed out stats don't show up on the tooltip for equipped soulbound items. If not me, perhaps somebody else can make use of that information.

There is also this addon, which hasn't been updated since 7.1, but hiding unused stats seems to still work as long as I disable PlaySound in the code (otherwise the options menu doesn't work.)
I tested for like 5 minutes with just Unused Stats checked so YMMV.

Last edited by Ammako : 09-08-17 at 03:27 PM.
09-10-17, 12:28 AM   #3
Eommus
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Ammako View Post
For what it's worth, it looks like the greyed out stats don't show up on the tooltip for equipped soulbound items. If not me, perhaps somebody else can make use of that information.
Thanks! I hadn't noticed that before.

Originally Posted by Ammako View Post
There is also this addon, which hasn't been updated since 7.1, but hiding unused stats seems to still work as long as I disable PlaySound in the code (otherwise the options menu doesn't work.)
I tested for like 5 minutes with just Unused Stats checked so YMMV.
Thanks for the addon link. I will check it and see if I can grab the code from it that will do what I want. I like using my own custom simple addons just enough to do what I want.
09-10-17, 09:07 AM   #4
Kakjens
A Cliff Giant
Greyed-out stats remain on heirlooms (yes, they are not soulbound but for enchanting purposes they are).
09-10-17, 10:27 AM   #5
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Eommus View Post
Thanks for the addon link. I will check it and see if I can grab the code from it that will do what I want. I like using my own custom simple addons just enough to do what I want.
Yeah I get you. I'm exactly like that too ;p

I tried looking into figuring out which parts of the wow interface code is responsible for what shows in tooltips, if it would be possible for me to make it so the tooltip "thinks" the item is "equipped" for purposes of not displaying the grayed-out stats even when in bags, but I'm really not knowledgeable enough to figure that out in a timely manner so I ended up googling it and finding that addon.

It's not my favourite solution, I feel like it would be much cleaner if we could re-use the same code that hides the stats when equipped, but if it works for you and you're happy with it then I suppose that's all that really matter.
Maybe there's someone more knowledgeable out there who may end up looking into it, who knows.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Hide gray stats on item tooltips