01-30-14, 03:24 AM   #1
Kretnakx
A Defias Bandit
[Help Needed] Ui feels Clunky

Hiya Guys!

This is my first time posting here but let's give it a go.

About a couple of days ago i have upgraded from a 21" 1650x1050 to a 24" 1920 x 1080 Screen.

Now i have had this feeling of my UI Feeling kinda Clunky.
As you all can see i changed some minor things on my ui in the meantime (first was taken about 4 weeks before the second screenshot.)

But those are not the kind of things i mean, the stuff that is bothering me the most is the hugeness of the Buffs next to my Minimap and the Minimap itself.
They feel way bigger than they did before on my (significantly) smaller screen.

Now, the AddOns i am using for this are:
bBuffs (buff addon)
LnS_Minimap

It kind of feels to me as if the game kept the 1650x1050 settings when i started using this bigger screen.

Also if anyone knows some substitute addons, wich can do about the same as these two but give me the option to rescale them, i'd be glad to hear!

Screenshot Before :

Screenshot After :

Thanks in Advance,
Kretnakx/Greblorn
01-30-14, 06:14 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well, first, go check your game settings and make sure it's actually running at the new resolution. I don't know that it will pick up on that change automatically. It may still be running at 1680x1050 and just getting stretched to fit the larger physical monitor size.

Second, check your "Use UI Scale" setting. Ideally, it should be unchecked so the UI will scale itself so that 1px in the UI = 1px on your monitor, resulting in the best possible appearance (eg. no "fuzzy pixel" problems).

Finally, you should just be able to adjust the sizes of individual elements of your UI. I don't know about the specific buff and minimap addons you mentioned, as I've never heard of them, but pretty much any addon with any options at all should have an option to change its size. As a last resort you can either make your own "addon" to run SetScale on specific frames, or enable the "Use UI Scale" setting and lower the scaling value to make everything smaller across the board, though you may notice "fuzzy pixel" effects as each pixel in the UI will no longer match up to a physical pixel on your monitor.

If you want to look for replacement addons, click the search box in the top right corner of the page and type in "buff" or "minimap" -- there are plenty of both to choose from!
01-31-14, 09:15 AM   #3
Kretnakx
A Defias Bandit
Hi!

Thanks for the reply, after fiddling around and about with my screen settings (wich was at 1920x1080 already).

I just couldn't seem to get it right.
So after that i just started browsing WoWinterface again, and in your description i found some nice addons to use.

So after some work and a bit of fiddling around and about with my ui, this is the result!

Idle:

In Combat:

Again, thanks for the reply!
01-31-14, 09:21 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Looks much cleaner now!

Though, that off-center pet action bar is a little disturbing.
01-31-14, 09:44 AM   #5
Kretnakx
A Defias Bandit
I didn't even heed attention to that yet ^^..

it's in the middle above my main ability bar now!
01-31-14, 02:56 PM   #6
Mirrikh
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
idk if its part of the UF or if its an independent combat text addon, but that combat text overlapping the target frame is a bit... *shiver* thats all. nice ui.
01-31-14, 04:53 PM   #7
Kkthnx
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Looks a lot better. You can never go wrong with advice from Phanx!
02-01-14, 12:49 AM   #8
10leej
A Molten Giant

I'd make the DPS meter background dispear as well as match its height with the action bars. Which unless your the raid leader you don't really need to see every bodies DPS anyway.
02-06-14, 06:44 AM   #9
qwee
A Murloc Raider

Get another combat text addon, if you really need to see the numbers, which I somehow doubt.

Not sure if you're using Skada or Recount, but I'd go with Skada and remove the background and also reverse the bar growth.

I'd also lower my unitframes. I like my center as clean as possible, for the exception of Bigwigs/DBM bars that needs my attention.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » [Help Needed] Ui feels Clunky