08-11-15, 10:02 AM   #1
jayman1000
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Can Carbonite suggest routes and waypoints for a destination?

I just installed Carbonite and I am generally very happy with it. However I am not sure if Carbonite has a 'gps' route function? Does Carbonite do this? When I track a quest or make a goto waypoint Carbonite just draws a straight line over everythinbg, mountains, impassable areas. I would like it to suggest the best route to the destination, like "go 1200 to flymaster, fly to blah blah" and then update each waypoint when I reach them. You know, kind of like a GPS but with reachable eaypoints. Does Carbonite have this feature? And how do I activate it?

I should say that I have found a setting in Options - Maps, called "route travelling", however enabling/disabling it changes nothing in the way of route/waypoint planning.
08-11-15, 10:43 AM   #2
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Sadly there is no such option in Carbonite. I dont even know if there is a way to write such kind of routing.
08-11-15, 01:10 PM   #3
jayman1000
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by ircdirk View Post
Sadly there is no such option in Carbonite. I dont even know if there is a way to write such kind of routing.
There must be because an addon like Dugi Questing Essential does exactly this and it actually works great. There's just some things about Dugi I don't like, and Carbonite have so much it does better, especially the unified zoomable, rezisable map/mini map which I absolutely love.
08-11-15, 01:28 PM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Carbonite does have this in limited capabilities... the reason Dugi and Zygor have it much more detailed is due to a much more extensive guide point system and the memory footprints between those addons and carbonite show it.

Carbonite was already being called a memory hog for using 10-15M of memory, those addons can use 70-80 easily.
08-11-15, 01:43 PM   #5
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by jayman1000 View Post
There must be because an addon like Dugi Questing Essential does exactly this and it actually works great. There's just some things about Dugi I don't like, and Carbonite have so much it does better, especially the unified zoomable, rezisable map/mini map which I absolutely love.
Dugi and Zygor are Guides which guides u to places of intrest... so there are in database routes which some one did checked and wrote (i dont think they are real time caluculated routes). But in Carbonite where u can click any map place were u want to go, calculating routes to those places would be very hard...
08-11-15, 03:37 PM   #6
jayman1000
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by ircdirk View Post
Dugi and Zygor are Guides which guides u to places of intrest... so there are in database routes which some one did checked and wrote (i dont think they are real time caluculated routes). But in Carbonite where u can click any map place were u want to go, calculating routes to those places would be very hard...
Ok, maybe I didn't explain it very well. But I just want the route to suggest the flightmasters that gives the lowest total distance traveled to the destination, as a waypointed path, each waypoint being the flightmasters, and the end point the destination. Theoretically that must be relatively easy to do. But if that is not a function in Carbonite yet, I will make do without it. It's thankfully not the biggest of issues.
08-11-15, 10:03 PM   #7
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
It does have it in limited capabilities, at least with quest routing... when I was doing the WoD quests often carbonite would tell me to visit a flightmaster (often one I didn't have when that bug was there lol) to cut down travel time.
08-12-15, 01:56 PM   #8
jayman1000
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
It does have it in limited capabilities, at least with quest routing... when I was doing the WoD quests often carbonite would tell me to visit a flightmaster (often one I didn't have when that bug was there lol) to cut down travel time.
That is what I want, it's just not doing it. Any route, questing or not, is just a straight line with one start point and one end point, no waypoints in between. How do I enable the flightmaster waypoints for questing that you mention?
08-12-15, 10:07 PM   #9
Kreelor
A Firelord

That is what I want, it's just not doing it. Any route, questing or not, is just a straight line with one start point and one end point, no waypoints in between. How do I enable the flightmaster waypoints for questing that you mention?
There's an old saying "The shortest distance between two points is a straight line". In geometry, I suppose that's true on paper but, in the real world, it's not always efficient. Sometimes, there are obstacles in the way such as mountains, buildings, valleys, etc.

Even when you use Flighmasters to travel (by air), you start from a point of origin and fly to a destination. Two (2) points. Carbonite always draws a straight line between those two points. It would make no sense to draw curved lines to go from point A to point B; it would take longer. Besides, Carbonite uses the custom Google mapping which makes it much easier to examine the terrain and to avoid obstacles, etc. I use both Carbonite (mapping) and Zygor guides simultaneously.

What you want is something to work like the Zygor Leveling Guide. It doesn't always work the way it's supposed to. But, it does work much of the time.

Example: If you were in Stormwind City (Eastern Kingdom) and you had a quest to do which is located somewhere in Kalimdor, Outland, Pandaria, etc., their guide will tell you to use the most efficient and/or fastest method to get there. It will place textual directions and suitable icons associated with the best means of travel such as using a Portal, a Flighmaster, a Boat, your Hearthstone or other means of travel, automatically throughout your trip (step-by-step) to your quest location -- for almost every quest! They call it their "Travel System." And, if you want a "line" drawn on your map, they have an option you can toggle on/off for that, too. They call that their "Ants." I never use it. Carbonite works much better for me to draw a line from point A to point B when I want one.

NOTE: Just in case you or anyone else is interested, you should know that I am NOT advocating that anyone purchase any of the Zygor Guides (they sell a bunch of them, and I don't consider them cheap). Neither are they always up-to-date, even though Zygor promises users that they will always be up-to-date. I use most of their guides myself and have done so for a number of years but, I find many faults within each of the guides. I report the issues but they don't fix them. However, I still use them because "when they work properly," it's much easier to play WoW. Questing is much faster with Zygor than without it. To me, the Carbonite Quest module isn't nearly as "user-friendly." That's not a complaint against Carbonite. It was not designed to be that way.

All routes are straight lines between two points, even the routes we use when mining ore or herb gathering. Each node is connected to the next node by a straight line.

I'm only offering this information to let you know that what you want is available (as an addon) but, it will cost you money. Carbonite is free. Your choice. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Kreelor : 08-12-15 at 10:09 PM.
08-14-15, 01:21 AM   #10
jayman1000
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
There's an old saying "The shortest distance between two points is a straight line". In geometry, I suppose that's true on paper but, in the real world, it's not always efficient. Sometimes, there are obstacles in the way such as mountains, buildings, valleys, etc.

Even when you use Flighmasters to travel (by air), you start from a point of origin and fly to a destination. Two (2) points. Carbonite always draws a straight line between those two points. It would make no sense to draw curved lines to go from point A to point B; it would take longer. Besides, Carbonite uses the custom Google mapping which makes it much easier to examine the terrain and to avoid obstacles, etc. I use both Carbonite (mapping) and Zygor guides simultaneously.

What you want is something to work like the Zygor Leveling Guide. It doesn't always work the way it's supposed to. But, it does work much of the time.

Example: If you were in Stormwind City (Eastern Kingdom) and you had a quest to do which is located somewhere in Kalimdor, Outland, Pandaria, etc., their guide will tell you to use the most efficient and/or fastest method to get there. It will place textual directions and suitable icons associated with the best means of travel such as using a Portal, a Flighmaster, a Boat, your Hearthstone or other means of travel, automatically throughout your trip (step-by-step) to your quest location -- for almost every quest! They call it their "Travel System." And, if you want a "line" drawn on your map, they have an option you can toggle on/off for that, too. They call that their "Ants." I never use it. Carbonite works much better for me to draw a line from point A to point B when I want one.

NOTE: Just in case you or anyone else is interested, you should know that I am NOT advocating that anyone purchase any of the Zygor Guides (they sell a bunch of them, and I don't consider them cheap). Neither are they always up-to-date, even though Zygor promises users that they will always be up-to-date. I use most of their guides myself and have done so for a number of years but, I find many faults within each of the guides. I report the issues but they don't fix them. However, I still use them because "when they work properly," it's much easier to play WoW. Questing is much faster with Zygor than without it. To me, the Carbonite Quest module isn't nearly as "user-friendly." That's not a complaint against Carbonite. It was not designed to be that way.

All routes are straight lines between two points, even the routes we use when mining ore or herb gathering. Each node is connected to the next node by a straight line.

I'm only offering this information to let you know that what you want is available (as an addon) but, it will cost you money. Carbonite is free. Your choice. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the Zygor suggestion, it's not what I was looking for, but that sure does look interesting

But again, I think I didn't explain it very well. In essence I just want Carbonite to create a route with waypoints from my current position, on each flightmaster and the destination location. No curved lines, just straight lines between each waypoint. Carbonite is not doing that at all though. Carbonite only gives me one line with two waypoints, no matter how far the journey: the start location and the destination location, but no waypoints on flightmasters in between.

Last edited by jayman1000 : 08-14-15 at 01:24 AM.
08-14-15, 05:16 AM   #11
Svegan
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Carbonite option, turn on Travel routing. that will give fp recommendations, based on nearest quest point.
08-23-15, 08:14 AM   #12
jayman1000
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Svegan View Post
Carbonite option, turn on Travel routing. that will give fp recommendations, based on nearest quest point.
Ok, I can then only assume that something is wrong with my Carbonite installation because this is exactly what it is NOT doing. ah well, I will try to reinstall it once again and try to see if it fixes. If nothing else I will just have to live with it or find another questing addon.
08-23-15, 10:09 AM   #13
Kreelor
A Firelord

But again, I think I didn't explain it very well. In essence I just want Carbonite to create a route with waypoints from my current position, on each flightmaster and the destination location. No curved lines, just straight lines between each waypoint. Carbonite is not doing that at all though. Carbonite only gives me one line with two waypoints, no matter how far the journey: the start location and the destination location, but no waypoints on flightmasters in between.
Maybe I don't understand. It sounds to me like you want Carbonite to do what Flightmasters do already. The Flightmasters (when you talk to them) will draw lines from one Flightmaster to another (before you even begin the flight) assuming that there are multiple Flightmasters between you and your destination. I understand that you want Carbonite to do that but, I'm not sure why you want it. (grin).
08-24-15, 01:18 PM   #14
jayman1000
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
Maybe I don't understand. It sounds to me like you want Carbonite to do what Flightmasters do already. The Flightmasters (when you talk to them) will draw lines from one Flightmaster to another (before you even begin the flight) assuming that there are multiple Flightmasters between you and your destination. I understand that you want Carbonite to do that but, I'm not sure why you want it. (grin).
Of course I would like flight paths routed from my current destination to my end destination. Why wouldn't I??

But that is unfortunately what is NOT happening. There are no lines drawn between flightmasters when I use Carbonite and Carbonite Quests. I tried reinstalling, but it just wont happen. I have found a middle way now, by uninstalling Carbonite Questing, but keeping the main addon so I can keep the wonderful minimap. It's possible to use this in conjunction with Dugi questing (whose pathing routing works for me). It's not optimal, but it works pretty good.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: Maps (Main AddOn) » Can Carbonite suggest routes and waypoints for a destination?