02-11-11, 08:42 AM   #1
Kolakhan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Tooltip Fading?

I have been having an issue for several weeks which would include before the patch. On an intermitant basis my tooltip would change from normal where I could mouse over an item or icon and it would stay as long as I did so to, to fading away after about 1-2 seconds making it unreadable. Imagine trying to study a new item in the AH and having it fade away before you can compare it to what you have on. This would occur after playing for about 5 minutes or so for no apparent reason I could detect and I could reload the UI and restore normal operation but it would not hold for more than about 5 minutes of playing time.

I started removing addons which I thought would have any impact on the tooltip. I installed addons that claimed to control tooltips including fade time. All to no avail. Having removed all of those I finally disabled Carbonite figuring there is a lot of things going on in Carbonite and perhaps one of them was impacting the tooltip. To my surprise the issue is gone! I have played for three days now without the issue and even re-enabled some of the addons I turned off before. Is there something in Carbonite that controls tooltip fade time or even turns it off? I would like to put it back in but given the choice just cannot do it under the circumstances. Thanks for your help.

02-11-11, 09:10 AM   #2
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Have you tried with Carbonite as the only active addon?

02-11-11, 10:17 AM   #3
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
Have you tried with Carbonite as the only active addon?
That's really the only way to tell if Carbonite is actually causing the problem. If you disable all addons EXCEPT Carbonite, and the problem remains, then the problem was obviously caused by Carbonite. If, however, the problem goes away, then the problem lies either in another addon, or another addon is conflicting with Carbonite.

02-11-11, 10:21 PM   #4
Kolakhan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Regardless there still remains the fundamental question is there something within Carbonite that controls the fade time or on/off time of the game tooltip? I would like to have that question answered. If there is nothing in Carbonite that has anything to do with that function I can start backtracking some more but for right now with everything working I am not inclined to mess with it much longer. Thanks.

02-12-11, 12:29 AM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

As far as I can tell, depending on what options you enable in Carbonite, it will add certain information to the tool tip, but doesn't do anything else with or to it.

How does the tool tip behave when all addons EXCEPT Carbonite are disabled? Regardless, this is STILL the only way to tell if Carbonite alone is causing the problem.

02-12-11, 01:03 AM   #6
Jigain
A Molten Giant

It is just as Jeffy says.

When you're dealing with big, often popular addons - or even small addons to some extent - you're literally running tens upon thousands of lines of code that've been delevoped individually. While Addon A and Addon B and Addon C have all been constructed to work flawlessly with WoW, maybe an actionbar-changing script in Addon A interferes with a buff-hiding script in Addon C. Or maybe there's a bug in Addon B, the pet randomizer addon, that makes the game behave erratically when Addon A is loaded. Disabling any of the conflicting addons gives the impression that that addon was the culprit; however it doesn't mean the addon created the issue in the first place.

As far as I know, Carbonite does absolutely nothing regarding tooltip fade time, lending credability that, if you would run with Carbonite as the only active addon for a while, you would encounter no similar issues.

02-13-11, 07:49 AM   #7
Kolakhan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I put Carbonite back in and stripped it down to almost nothing just basic maps and it worked fine. I then started layering back in features. I started with questing which is my fav and right away the issue returned. I then started removing other addons one by one and coming back in and playing. This took a ton of time but I was really getting pissed at this point and wanted to find out WTF was going on. I removed an Addon called Prospect which allows you a one click mine/gather/disenchant/etc and the issue went away. I put most of the Carbonite stuff back to normal. I played the rest of the day and all seemed fine. Today I start putting everything else back I removed yesterday except Prospect and see what happens.

02-13-11, 08:06 AM   #8
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Good luck, and don't forget to keep us updated!

02-13-11, 03:53 PM   #9
Kolakhan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Played now for several hours and the issue has not returned. It would appear there is an interaction between Prospect and Carbonite. The one "all purpose everything in the mouse" was nice but certainly doesn't compare to the benefits of Carbonite so it goes away. I hunted for a replacement but didn't see anything that jumped out right away. At least I can read my damn tooltips now!

Last edited by Kolakhan : 02-13-11 at 03:56 PM.

02-13-11, 07:17 PM   #10
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Molinari? Not "one click does everything", but it might be worth a look.

02-14-11, 04:14 PM   #11
Kolakhan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Molinari works like a champ and does what I need it to, TY!

02-14-11, 04:59 PM   #12
Chmee
A Molten Giant
I tend to use Panda for that.

02-17-11, 08:24 AM   #13
Kolakhan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Been a few days and all is still ok. I am using Molinari. I took a look a Panda. Way more than I need and even though it showed up in Titan it never would setup properly as a Titan addon and I always had to type the name to open it.

02-17-11, 12:08 PM   #14
Chmee
A Molten Giant
I gave up Titan for Fubar years ago, then went back to Titan, now I'm using Chocolate Bar. The Panda LDB launcher works fine with CB.

I grant you Panda may be overkill for a lot of people. It's what I'm used to, though. <shrug> Chacun à son goût.

02-17-11, 03:07 PM   #15
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Kolakhan View Post
Molinari works like a champ and does what I need it to, TY!
You're welcome. Glad I could help, and, please, don't forget to post a bug ticket for both addons so the authors can hopefully get the problem straightened out.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 02-17-11 at 03:11 PM.

02-20-11, 12:21 PM   #16
Sythalin
Curse staff

Just spent the last two hours on this very issue. Servers me right for not looking first I suppose.

But I can confirm that it is an issue between Prospect and Carbonite, more specifically the quest tracker's item buttons. Tested with both solo as well and results were consistent. I'll be filing the report with the author of Prospect as well, assuming he/she is even still working on the project.

02-20-11, 07:14 PM   #17
Treader
A Murloc Raider
It sure would be nice if someone posted a ticket about my addon, Prospect, in its tickets.

Also, I have ProspectBar which does the same thing, but makes separate buttons rather than overlays on the bag buttons.

I would attempt to fix my addon to work with this addon except looking at your code makes my brain hurt.

Thanks.

You can find my addons on Curse.

Last edited by Treader : 02-20-11 at 07:23 PM.

02-23-11, 09:13 AM   #18
Kolakhan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Rather than making it easy for users to converse with him directly on Curse the author of Prospect makes you use Curse Forge which is a pain in the butt. He makes changes and if you want to know why a new version is there you have to go to Curse Forge and drill down through the tickets and try and figure out what the heck was the issue and what was fixed. All in all a very inconvenient method to work with your users. Once I started using Molinari I didn't bother to go and report this issue because of this fact. I and other users have requested he use the normal Curse system for communication and he won't. So I choose not to use his addon. Works both ways.

02-23-11, 05:46 PM   #19
Treader
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Kolakhan View Post
Rather than making it easy for users to converse with him directly on Curse the author of Prospect makes you use Curse Forge which is a pain in the butt. He makes changes and if you want to know why a new version is there you have to go to Curse Forge and drill down through the tickets and try and figure out what the heck was the issue and what was fixed. All in all a very inconvenient method to work with your users. Once I started using Molinari I didn't bother to go and report this issue because of this fact. I and other users have requested he use the normal Curse system for communication and he won't. So I choose not to use his addon. Works both ways.
Cry me a fricken river.

02-23-11, 06:53 PM   #20
Chmee
A Molten Giant
With that attitude, I'm surprised anyone uses your adon.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Tooltip Fading?