04-07-09, 02:42 AM   #1
Din
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Code still obfuscated?

My understanding is the new policy prohibits obfuscated code, but Carbonite.lua still appears to be obfuscated to me. It has clearly been run through some automated process to reduce readability during packaging, and isn't the original human-editable code. I thought this new version was supposed to be in complicance with the new UI Addon rules? The version I have is 3.001, downloaded from here 15 minutes ago.

04-07-09, 05:48 AM   #2
kelshir
A Murloc Raider

It is readable code. It looks like to me that there is no formatting to the code, but it is all readable.

04-07-09, 07:14 AM   #3
Din
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
All obfuscated code is "readable" to some degree, that doesn't mean it's not obfuscated. The code has clearly been passed through some program designed to destroy whitespace and variable names, remove all comments, etc., thereby rendering the code less redable to humans. I don't know what you call that except obfuscation.

04-07-09, 08:50 AM   #4
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Din View Post
All obfuscated code is "readable" to some degree, that doesn't mean it's not obfuscated. The code has clearly been passed through some program designed to destroy whitespace and variable names, remove all comments, etc., thereby rendering the code less redable to humans. I don't know what you call that except obfuscation.
Complain to blizzard then - see how far you get.

04-07-09, 08:57 AM   #5
Temptress
A Fallenroot Satyr
I don't have a problem with them protecting their intellectual property. If this is the minimum it takes to comply with the Blizz TOS then kudos to them.

What Blizz has done is wrong they could have taken a different track and made an equivalent mod effectively destroying Carbonite, instead they chose to stifle innovation and hard work. ( now that i think of it sounds alot like what's happening to our economy)

04-07-09, 09:06 AM   #6
Din
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Protecting their intellectual property or not, I don't see how anyone could look at the current state of the code and say it isn't obfuscated, which is specifically mentioned in the new addon policy as forbidden. Whether you like Blizzard's decision or hate it, in its current state Carbonite violates the rules. Additionally they claim to be compliant with the rules when they are not, and at the very least I think that's dishonest.

04-07-09, 09:16 AM   #7
Temptress
A Fallenroot Satyr
Everyone here paid and got the mod they wanted, we didn't pay for the code. Why should we care if the code is obfuscated or not; only blizz should care so let the big boys hash it out. It's not us that decides if they're in compliance.

Last edited by Temptress : 04-07-09 at 09:40 AM.

04-07-09, 09:41 AM   #8
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Protecting their intellectual property or not, I don't see how anyone could look at the current state of the code and say it isn't obfuscated, which is specifically mentioned in the new addon policy as forbidden. Whether you like Blizzard's decision or hate it, in its current state Carbonite violates the rules. Additionally they claim to be compliant with the rules when they are not, and at the very least I think that's dishonest.
And what we have done could also be called compression. We are in no way hiding the actual code.

The new policy is to prevent code from being hidden/unreadable; there is nothing in there specifying coding standards, minimal level of comments, documentation, etc.

You have every right to an opinion but calling us dishonest is out of line.

04-07-09, 09:52 AM   #9
Din
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Haavok View Post
And what we have done could also be called compression. We are in no way hiding the actual code.

The new policy is to prevent code from being hidden/unreadable; there is nothing in there specifying coding standards, minimal level of comments, documentation, etc.

You have every right to an opinion but calling us dishonest is out of line.
Of course obfuscation can also compress code, and compression can also obfuscate code. But regardless of what your intent is the result is, unquestionably I think to any reasonable observer, code which is obfuscated. How you got there doesn't really matter.

If the goal is compression you could always provide the compressor so people could perform it themselves if there was some tangible benefit. Or provide both versions for people who want to know what they're running (although that would still be questionable perhaps since the code in both "versions" may differ). Regardless, providing only this version is obviously a case of only providing obfuscated code.

04-07-09, 10:01 AM   #10
Haavok

Of course obfuscation can also compress code, and compression can also obfuscate code. But regardless of what your intent is the result is, unquestionably I think to any reasonable observer, code which is obfuscated. How you got there doesn't really matter.

If the goal is compression you could always provide the compressor so people could perform it themselves if there was some tangible benefit. Or provide both versions for people who want to know what they're running (although that would still be questionable perhaps since the code in both "versions" may differ). Regardless, providing only this version is obviously a case of only providing obfuscated code.
Once again, you are entitled to your opinion and I disagree. We have released code which we believe is in full compliance with the current UI policy. Until the policy is revised to include specific rules for coding standards and documentation it will stay in this form.

Carbonite was released in this form strictly to comply with the new UI policy; it was not released to be some kind of coding resource for other addon developers.

If an addon developer would like to hook into Carbonite in some way, we will do our best to provide them with an API/information to do so (as we have done in the past).

04-07-09, 10:14 AM   #11
Din
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Haavok View Post
Once again, you are entitled to your opinion and I disagree. We have released code which we believe is in full compliance with the current UI policy. Until the policy is revised to include specific rules for coding standards and documentation it will stay in this form.

Carbonite was released in this form strictly to comply with the new UI policy; it was not released to be some kind of coding resource for other addon developers.

If an addon developer would like to hook into Carbonite in some way, we will do our best to provide them with an API/information to do so (as we have done in the past).
I'm quite sure the policy adequately forbids what you have done already, so it needs no "revision". As for forcing your code standards up, of course, it would actually take you less effort to comply than not to comply, since all you'd have to do is omit the step where the source is run through the obfuscator before you zip it up.

Regardless, fine, you'll continue to play chicken with Blizzard. I don't think an arms race of sorts here is particularly healthy for anyone however. Frankly what surprised me most was that WoWI was featuring so prominently an addon which was in violation of Blizzard policy.

04-07-09, 10:21 AM   #12
Temptress
A Fallenroot Satyr
Not that you need anyone to come to your rescue Haavok, i just don't understand the point of the post.

It comes down to a simple question. Why should we care if the code is obfuscated.

We bought the mod before the new TOS and the code was hidden, we didn't buy it to see the code. If a had a personal stake in seeing the code then it might upset me; but i don't, so i'm not. Blizz and some of their employees do, so an angry reaction would be understandable.

May carbonite live long and prosper!
"nuff said"

04-07-09, 10:27 AM   #13
Haavok

Frankly what surprised me most was that WoWI was featuring so prominently an addon which was in violation of Blizzard policy.
Once again, that is your opinion. Stop posting this like it is fact if you wish to continue posting in these forums.

04-07-09, 10:42 AM   #14
Haavok

As for forcing your code standards up, of course, it would actually take you less effort to comply than not to comply, since all you'd have to do is omit the step where the source is run through the obfuscator before you zip it up.
Also not true. We have a rather complicated build process due to the previous versions that were supported. The source will not run without running through this process. It was easier to remove the encryption & newline removal than to modify the code directly.

04-07-09, 10:49 AM   #15
Din
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
And what of all the identifier names being shorted to 3-4 characters? Does the function of the script depend on that too?

If your intent was to release unobfuscated code, I think you could do so.

04-07-09, 10:57 AM   #16
Haavok

And what of all the identifier names being shorted to 3-4 characters? Does the function of the script depend on that too?

Our intent was to release code that was compliant with the UI policy and we did that. If Blizzard tells us otherwise you will be the first to know.

04-07-09, 11:23 AM   #17
kelshir
A Murloc Raider

I think it is perfectly readable to anyone that knows how to read it.

Also, if you think it is still against Blizzard's policy email them and wait for their reply back.

You are the only one with a problem, get over it.

04-07-09, 11:42 AM   #18
g0thicicecream
A Defias Bandit
My understanding is the new policy prohibits obfuscated code, but Carbonite.lua still appears to be obfuscated to me. It has clearly been run through some automated process to reduce readability during packaging, and isn't the original human-editable code. I thought this new version was supposed to be in complicance with the new UI Addon rules? The version I have is 3.001, downloaded from here 15 minutes ago.
It's completely readable.../scratches head

...whether you personally are able to comprehend what you are reading is another question...

04-07-09, 12:02 PM   #19
Sythalin
Curse staff

Um, I thought this argument was done? What other reason has this been posted other than to restart this flamefest? Reporting to get this thread locked down, cause it's completely unneeded and is already causing fruitless hostility.

04-07-09, 12:15 PM   #20
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
I can follow the lua just fine as well. Heck I know people who write with no formatting at all.

Closing this thread. I believe they are in compliance and we will double check with blizzard.

Please use the AddOn report feature in the future if you believe an AddOn breaks the new UI Policy and/or WoWI's Policy. No need to report this one as we are already investigating it. Just for the future

Last edited by Dolby : 04-07-09 at 12:49 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Code still obfuscated?