03-17-06, 02:07 PM   #21
yutt
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Any way an option could be added to use and parse the same item link format as ChatLink? Most people use that mod, and it uses a different format for item links than Cirk's Chatmanager. I'd much prefer to use this addon, but it's not very useful to post links in a format most people can't use, and be unable to use their links.

Update:
An example link from ChatLink is:
Code:
{CLINK:ff9d9d9d:4583:0:0:0:Thick Furry Mane}

Last edited by yutt : 03-17-06 at 02:28 PM.
03-17-06, 06:59 PM   #22
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Luap
Not sure if this has been adressed, or mentioned but I have noticed the names are not showing propely in the chatmanager screen. Names of channel users that is, it has been breaking the names up and making it look as if there are more people in the chat channel. The same is happening on a friends machine as well and we are both cosmos users. Functionality appears to be ok though just the name display is a problem

Cheers again great Interface
Hey Luap! Hmmm, any chance you could take a screenshot and show me what you mean? Also, does this happen in all channels, server channels only, or private channels only?

-- Cirk
03-17-06, 07:25 PM   #23
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by yutt
Any way an option could be added to use and parse the same item link format as ChatLink?
Hey Yutt, yeah I originally did think about following the same format as Chatlink, but there were two reasons I did it the way I did.
1. Placing the name first makes it a little clearer to recipients without the addon. (e.g., Chatmanager would convert the example link you provided to [Thick Furry Mane]{4583:0:0:0}).
2. To save space Chatmanager doesn't transmit the item color (nor the CLINK header) but instead originally relied solely on the receiving client having the item in its item cache for that. This changed in Chatmanager 1.9.2 since I wanted it to get the color correct always, and so it now also transmit the item rarity via non-printable characters (backspaces - you can see those if you use /chatlog to record item links sent by Chatmanager for example), which allowed it to be backwards compatible with earlier versions of Chatmanager.

Granted neither of those are particularly compelling reasons, but they were what I was thinking about initially. Now with 1.10 coming up and the changes to prevent item spoofing, I'm trying to adopt a slight variation on this with Chatmanager to prevent players from being able to send spoofed item links through Chatmanager (since at the moment, by changing the itemlink to something the server won't recognize as an item link, it won't prevent item spoofing, since the receiving client where the link is reconstructed doesn't check for spoofing). The variation should hopefully be backwards compatible with Chatmanager's current schema, meaning it won't require everyone to upgrade immediately.

I expect the author of ChatLink (Yrys) will probably need to figure out a solution as well for his format.

Most people use that mod, and it uses a different format for item links than Cirk's Chatmanager. I'd much prefer to use this addon, but it's not very useful to post links in a format most people can't use, and be unable to use their links.
I'm not sure about the "most people" bit (maybe you meant most people in your guild? ) but I'll leave that statement alone for now, heh!

At any rate, you should be able to run ChatLink and Chatmanager at the same time (although I've not tested this). Just turn off sending of item links with Chatmanager (which is the default setting anyway) and ChatLink should convert them instead. Since the formats are not compatible, they shouldn't interfere with each other.

-- Cirk
03-18-06, 10:00 AM   #24
yutt
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Cirk
I'm not sure about the "most people" bit (maybe you meant most people in your guild? ) but I'll leave that statement alone for now, heh!
Sorry about that comment, it came off more condescending than intended. I just meant, for better or worse, ChatLink was released almost a year earlier, has much more basic functionality and is listed on Curse Gaming. I'm fairly certain, at the very least on my server, while having ChatLink is very common, having ChatManager is unheard of.

Mostly I get complaints to go download ChatLink. Which I suppose I could respond in-kind they should download ChatManager. However, if all they are looking for is to post item links and ChatLink works, why would they? :]

I understand your reasoning. But it would still be keen, in my situation, if ChatManager could use both. I'll have to reinstall ChatLink for now though.

I have an unrelated ideas I'll toss out here also. I use Chat Scroll, in conjunction with ChatManager. It allows you to remove the arrow buttons from the chat window and use the mousewheel to navigate, which you may or may not feel would be appropriate additional functionality to ChatManager.

Thanks for the response! ChatManager really is an excellent mod.
03-28-06, 08:03 AM   #25
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Just wanted to drop a note to say that Chatmanager will be requiring a couple of fixes for 1.10, but that unfortunately I only found one of the problems today in my last-minute-testing, and then Blizzard shut down both the PTR and the live realms before I'd managed to find and test my solution .

Until then, the password box won't show any text, and passwords in general may not work too well if you have more than just the General and Combat chat windows. (Blizzard actually fixed a bug I posted about a few months back, but didn't put it in the change notes, and of course its today before I discover it breaks a few things, lol ).

I'll get the 1.10 version of Chatmanager out tomorrow (day-after-patch-day-shudder) although probably not until most of you in the US time-zone are well asleep. Again, apologies for the delay!

And a long over due response to yutt (sorry yutt):
I have an unrelated ideas I'll toss out here also. I use Chat Scroll, in conjunction with ChatManager. It allows you to remove the arrow buttons from the chat window and use the mousewheel to navigate, which you may or may not feel would be appropriate additional functionality to ChatManager.
At this point I'd say that as long as Chat Scroll (or similar variants) play nice with Chatmanager, then I'm kind of happy for us all co-exist, and not have Chatmanager try and increase its territory or feature set too much more . Mostly that's cause I'm lazy, but partly because it allows people to easily shop around and choose the component features they like and put them all together. Most of my addons are pretty small and task specific, for both those reasons .

Cheers,
-- Cirk
03-29-06, 05:47 AM   #26
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I've just uploaded v1.10.0 of Chatmanager with all the necessary fixes in it.

One thing I decided to abandon (perhaps temporarily) is sending the link information in a way that the server could recognize in order to do its anti-spoofing check. Unfortunately that means you can still send a spoofed item link to someone, and if they try and send it on via normal means, they'll be the ones disconnected . I'll keep on thinking about how best to solve that one, but I guess there's always going to be a hole in this logic, given you'll never know which version of Chatmanager is sending you those links on a private chat channel anyway. (Same problem with ChatLink as well BTW).

Anyway, enjoy!
-- Cirk
04-08-06, 05:51 PM   #27
Cluey
A Fallenroot Satyr
Cirk this addon rocks
Its much better than the script you worked out for me on the Blizz forum to report the /chatlist # to the current frame
04-08-06, 07:10 PM   #28
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Cluey
Cirk this addon rocks
Its much better than the script you worked out for me on the Blizz forum to report the /chatlist # to the current frame
Hey Cluey, thankyou, and glad you found it!
04-10-06, 02:33 PM   #29
Heino_H
A Murloc Raider
Name problem reported by Luap

Hello Cirk,

it's me again *caugh*

I think I could reproduce the problem Luap reported some days ago.

Example:

I have a guildmate called Rıan

In the name list he does not show up but instead there are two players, one called R and the other one an.
Certainly there are no players with these names in the channel. And I cannot kick/mute/ban/whatever Rıan because he isn't in the name list (commands on R or an only brings the message: there ist no player R or (or an) in the channel). A similar thing with a guildmate called Ähroth. His name is truncated to hroth.

I guess it has something to do with the unusual characters in their names (no, this time not limited to german I hope ) since everything else works so fine.

The problem occurs in a private channel and the ctraid channel. At the moment, in the system channels all names are clean but I try to figure out what happens if someone with an unusual character in his name joins such a channel.

But once again, really great work. Thank you! I searched for a mod like this for a very long time so I never need to take a look at my printed chat command list again

Serentim aka Heino_H
04-10-06, 07:25 PM   #30
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Heino_H
I think I could reproduce the problem Luap reported some days ago.
Hey Serentim (aka Heino_H ), this is perfect, thankyou! It looks like the use of UTF-8 (what Blizzard uses for extended characters, such as ı in Rıan) doesn't work as expected with the usual LUA pattern matching rules.

Anyway, I think I have it solved now - in Chatmanager.lua v1.10.0, the strings at lines 108 and 109 need to be changed to:
Code:
    LIST_CHANNELS_PARSE_STRING = "%[(%d+)%. (.+)%]",
    LIST_PLAYER_NAMES_PARSE_STRING = "([%*%#%@]*)([^%p%s]+)",
If you have a chance, could you give this same change a try and see if it works for you as well?

Thanks again!
-- Cirk
04-11-06, 06:48 AM   #31
Heino_H
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up Perfect

Hello Cirk,

with the changes everything seems to work perfectly now

Thank you!

Serentim aka Heino_H
04-12-06, 07:11 PM   #32
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Thanks for testing that Serentim! I'll release version 1.10.1 of Chatmanager with this fix in it soon (I hope).

-- Cirk
04-30-06, 06:17 PM   #33
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Cirk
I'll release version 1.10.1 of Chatmanager with this fix in it soon (I hope).
Ok, not exactly "soon" but I've finally uploaded version 1.10.1 of Chatmanager:
  • Fixed problem with player names using extended characters being broken into two names (thanks Serentim and Luap).
  • The /chatinfo command should work properly now, and show the channels in the correct order.
  • Using the edit history (ALT key and up or down arrow) should now show the correct channel on which messages were sent.
  • Fixed a bug with channels that you had left sometimes showing up as "ghost" channels in the channel list.
  • Implemented rate limit for how often player listing requests will be sent by Chatmanager.
  • Minor code cleanup.

Cheers,
Cirk
04-30-06, 06:54 PM   #34
fred
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Will this work with Forgotten Chat?
04-30-06, 07:10 PM   #35
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by fred
Will this work with Forgotten Chat?
I assume it will fred since Chatmanager limits itself to chat channels only, and Forgotten Chat to whispers only (AFAIK) but I haven't tried it.

-- Cirk
04-30-06, 07:56 PM   #36
teedog
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
1.10.1: "Time" errors with other mods

Once I installed v1.10.1 I get such errors:

PerformanceFu.lua:253: attempt to call global `time' (a number value)
---
RaidTracker.lua:1937: attempt to call global `time' (a number value)
---
CharactersViewer.lua:645: attempt to call global `time' (a number value)

etc.
04-30-06, 08:38 PM   #37
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by teedog
Once I installed v1.10.1 I get such errors:
PerformanceFu.lua:253: attempt to call global `time' (a number value)
etc.
Oops, my bad! Line 1166 of Chatmanager.lua should have a local declaration for time variable! Will fix and get 1.10.2 up ASAP, thanks Teedog!

Edit: Just uploaded 1.10.2, thanks again Teedog for reporting this!

-- Cirk

Last edited by Cirk : 04-30-06 at 08:58 PM. Reason: 1.10.2 uploaded
04-30-06, 09:15 PM   #38
teedog
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
No problem. Thanks for the great mod. ^_^
05-02-06, 01:49 AM   #39
Indz
A Kobold Labourer
Is it possible to hide the "Chatmanager button", which is by default above the Chatframe buttons?

I didn't find it out how to hide the button, but it would be great because i didn't have to use your addon every day, only if i have problems or want to rearrange my chatchannels.

So it would be great if it's possible to hide the button, so that i can easily open the options window with a slash like /chatman .

Thanks!
05-07-06, 03:41 PM   #40
Kailef
A Fallenroot Satyr

Show button!

Indz,

Funny you should say that. For no reason I could determine, my Chatmanager button is missing! Can't find the sucker at all. It was there one day, and the next time I played it was gone. I like the button and actually would rather it be there, but I don't know where it's gone to. I even tried tossing all of my saved variables and starting fresh, but - I still can't find the darn thing. Any ideas? (Trade ya problems, Indz, heh.)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Cirk's Chatmanager