03-15-11, 08:22 PM   #1
Palladia
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

BWD Bug Status?

So, what's the status on the BWD bug? Every time I check the forums, there is another thread about it, but no resolution.

Any progress?

03-15-11, 09:02 PM   #2
MysticalOS
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
not to sound condesending, but why would you run this in a raid anyways? have you any idea how much memory this uses? or what a ridiculous amount of addon traffic it sends, you are lagging yourself and your guild mates. this addon wasn't designed for raid use it was designed for soloing/questing.

4.1 can't come fast enough so i don't get carbonite (and other non raid mod) messages in raids anymore

03-15-11, 11:22 PM   #3
Taabissa
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by MysticalOS View Post
not to sound condesending, but why would you run this in a raid anyways? have you any idea how much memory this uses? or what a ridiculous amount of addon traffic it sends, you are lagging yourself and your guild mates. this addon wasn't designed for raid use it was designed for soloing/questing.

4.1 can't come fast enough so i don't get carbonite (and other non raid mod) messages in raids anymore
that 4.1 change will be nice. I run it because when the maps finally get added for all the raid instances and party instances, being able to see where I am in the instance by looking at carbonite is very nice rather than having to hit 'm' to see where I am.

The memory usage or lag isn't an issue for me. I turn it off in BWD for my frame rate due to the bug, but my lag is usually no higher than 100ms and frame rates 60, memory usage gets a little high though, but I run a lot of other addons which causes it to spike above 40MB where it usually sits. Carbonite is far from the worst memory leak offender.

Other players recieving the messages I know nothing about, but if it was so bad as to lag the raid, it would have been discovered and leaders would have requested that all members turn carbonite off. I have yet to have that issue.

03-22-11, 08:03 PM   #4
Palladia
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

I do usually unload it when I can, but I don't always have time to reload.

As far as memory, it might be lagging me a little, but I don't notice it at all when I'm in BoT or Tot4W.

03-23-11, 02:26 PM   #5
MysticalOS
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
most just don't know. And i doubt carbonite is actually knocking anyone offline or anything by itself, but carbonite, among other spammy reasons, are the entire purpose of the 4.1 change. If you run spamalizer (to check just how much addon traffic you send or recieve). you will see there is no addon in existance that sends more traffic than carbonite. Blizz does not like this at all but at same time understands the nessesity of it for addon functinality, thus the awesomeness of 4.1 iltering it for the end users who aren't using x mod. But you would be doing people a favor, if only a small one, to disable it in raids before 4.1. I doubt it's the difference of that 2000ms person you have sitting being able to come in or not. And just one mod, from one user also really is nothing, it's more of a grand sceme of things, 200 mods from x user, another 50 from y user etc, all sending you crap in combat, is what does it. The big picture. It'd take everyone taking action to actually make any kind of diff ,which they wont, which is entirely why blizzard is in 4.1

However I do know that addon memory can have a huge impact on game performance. being a 32 bit app it has a 2gig memory limit. there are hacks to enable a flag to make it 4 but they are not exactly best thing to do (or blizz would be already). ever crashed in a raid from a 132 error? most of those are actually memory crashes, application ran out of memory, often caused by someone with too many mods and high graphics settings. lower grahpics settings substancially reduce heap size then lua memory from mods would be almost irrelevent to a power house machine. But chances are, if your machine is awesome, you are running ultra, and probalby 200M of lua memory too. don't be surprised if you crash on fights with spectacular detail like algalon or something, or a fight with a TON going on like heroic omnotron. Since i love game looking awesome, i def run ultra in raids, but my lua memory is less than 10 MB cause i disable all non raid mods before raid, make sure the client has more breathing room for texture caching and what not

anyway i've strayed from topic but i thought i was vague before on why i feel it's a bad idea to raid with carbonite (since by itself can easilly use 20-50MB).

04-10-11, 02:06 AM   #6
mcbeenb
A Kobold Labourer
misconceptions and tangents

While I would agree that carbonite sends more messages than other addons, the label of "spamy" is misleading, and off-topic. I do track my addon messages, and after being logged in for 5 hours tonight, carbonite has sent a total of around 3400 messages. I sent and read more guild messages than that lol. This will not have any effect what so ever on anyones connectivity.

As far as the bug goes... it matters. Just because its appearing in BWD doesn't mean it cannot trigger somewhere else. It needs to be addressed regardless of using carbonite in raid or not.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » BWD Bug Status?