04-21-09, 03:49 AM   #1
Woodpusher
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Subscription Renewal Notices

Carbonites still sending out e-mail notices that subscribers' subscriptions are expiring.

Do you have to renew in order to keep Carbonite functioning?

04-21-09, 04:49 AM   #2
moloneyat
A Murloc Raider

No subscriptions required - Carbonite is FREE, supported only by donations.

The reminder (a legacy of the old subscription version) is sure to be fixed in an updated version soon ........... but I am sure that the developers would appreciate a donation as a show of continued support to their work.

04-21-09, 09:05 AM   #3
Woodpusher
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Talking

Already made my donation over the weekend. I hope all other former subscribers continue to support this invaluable add-on.

04-21-09, 09:07 AM   #4
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Woodpusher View Post
Carbonites still sending out e-mail notices that subscribers' subscriptions are expiring.

Do you have to renew in order to keep Carbonite functioning?
No, if that is happening it is something automated coming from our old website. Just ignore these and we'll make sure that is disabled.

04-21-09, 11:46 AM   #5
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The automated notices are being sent from our website and we have no way to turn them off without going through our hosting company, which we prefer not to, since they can be difficult to deal with. We want to be switching to our new website in a few days, which will stop the messages.

04-22-09, 11:24 PM   #6
Cigawoot
A Defias Bandit
I still think it would be a good idea when you donate to choose to be reminded to donate after a set period of time, as I can forget

04-23-09, 01:11 AM   #7
datafarmer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Cigawoot View Post
I still think it would be a good idea when you donate to choose to be reminded to donate after a set period of time, as I can forget
what he said.

04-23-09, 08:53 PM   #8
is2scooby
A Murloc Raider
I'd be okay with that.

04-25-09, 02:55 AM   #9
Yelina
An Aku'mai Servant
I would like that too. I just went to the old forum to look for the date.

04-28-09, 11:33 AM   #10
Silverloch
A Murloc Raider
What have I missed

I am/was a subscriber under the old system.

My carbonite isn't working properly right now.

Did I miss something... did I accidentally overwrite a carbonite I purchased for a free version?

I have had no email or proper notification. I am very bugged at Bliz for screwing this up for those of us who have supported by subscription in the past. It feels like, we are being abandonned by Carbonite. Because now it keeps asking me for donations.
Will you PLEASE turn the spam screen off for people who were subscribers? NUI, whom I have also supported, mails me daily with updates on beta versions, which is a marked contrast to the lack of support Carbonite is offering to its supporters.

Are we then to expect Carbonite is going to give their subscribing base the shaft? Should we expect that Carbonite will use the policy change as a rationale for disrespecting the good will of its subscriber base?

I can tell you, I suspect this is the case. It hardly goes to make me even *want* to donate and further support a company such as this. I was a fresh subscriber, now I feel freshly shafted. Not a good feeling.

I would appreciate a direct email from Carbonite Clarifying this with me. You can look me up. I am not posting that info on a forum.

04-28-09, 12:17 PM   #11
Tithulta
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by Silverloch View Post

It feels like, we are being abandonned by Carbonite. Because now it keeps asking me for donations.

Will you PLEASE turn the spam screen off for people who were subscribers?
There is if you'd be a bit more patient and actually read what popups say there is an area of the popup to disable them.

Myself I refuse to do that as if i did I will forget to make a donation when I can afford to do so.

Are we then to expect Carbonite is going to give their subscribing base the shaft? Should we expect that Carbonite will use the policy change as a rationale for disrespecting the good will of its subscriber base?
you have a SUPPORTER only forum. It's up to them whether they want to release beta versions or not. I could careless which they do since it is their CHOICE. I get enough bug messages for the many many addons I use not always playing well together. I don't want more, by using a beta version of anything I have a working version of.

{Rant}
I personally am getting tired of people crying Foul over the Bliz changes. They stunk. End of Story as we have to 1. Live by them or 2. Quit WoW. How addon authors handle their end of the changes is up to them solely. those like carbonite and nui who were making money off a extremly useful addons were hurt more then anyone. Now of faith of their fellow gamers and former subscribers they hope to at least break even with the time they put in and the donations that trickle in. How about you job telling you they are no longer going to give you a paycheck , but the bosses will drop money in you Donation can when they can.

/rant

04-28-09, 01:41 PM   #12
bozothecrayon
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by datafarmer View Post
what he said.
what they said.

04-28-09, 06:04 PM   #13
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Did I miss something... did I accidentally overwrite a carbonite I purchased for a free version?

I have had no email or proper notification. I am very bugged at Bliz for screwing this up for those of us who have supported by subscription in the past. It feels like, we are being abandonned by Carbonite. Because now it keeps asking me for donations.
Will you PLEASE turn the spam screen off for people who were subscribers? NUI, whom I have also supported, mails me daily with updates on beta versions, which is a marked contrast to the lack of support Carbonite is offering to its supporters.
Email notification? We never sent emails to anyone about new versions.

These forums are for support and this private forum specifically for support of subscribers and donators. Donation messages/buttons can simply be ignored and people only see them when downloading a new version. How often do you actually download a version?

We almost never release beta versions, since most people want tested software and any release takes time. If you have an install problem, then beta software does not fix that.

How would you expect any new version to fix your problem, when you never described what the problem was? If the problem is vaguely described as "it doesn't work", then our answer can only be "how does it not work".

We don't know what version you have. You need to look at the version message or Carbonite minimap button tooltip and see. It should be 3.11.

04-30-09, 12:24 PM   #14
wreck
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Tithulta View Post
How about you job telling you they are no longer going to give you a paycheck , but the bosses will drop money in you Donation can when they can.
I tell them about the new Job I just got offered at their competitor. Pack up my things and leave.

But that's me.

05-01-09, 10:15 PM   #15
thunndaar
A Murloc Raider

I can tell you, I suspect this is the case. It hardly goes to make me even *want* to donate and further support a company such as this. I was a fresh subscriber, now I feel freshly shafted. Not a good feeling.

I would appreciate a direct email from Carbonite Clarifying this with me. You can look me up. I am not posting that info on a forum.
i think you need to adjust your attitude there.

just because you either installed a new version of the addon wrong or you have some corrupt settings files in your wtf\ dir, it gives you no right to have this BS attitude that you are entitled to this and that.

this is a real crappy attitude to have and it's obvious nobody's being shafted due to the fact that there have been frequent updates since blizzard's BS policy was changed regarding addons.

you have no right to be a beta tester AND you are informed in the game when there are new carbonite versions available (when another user running the new version is on the same time you are. or check the website Not freaking hard, dude).

just because you contributed money [as did i] it doesnt mean anybody has to kiss your behind.

05-02-09, 03:16 AM   #16
Kortanis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
How would you expect any new version to fix your problem, when you never described what the problem was? If the problem is vaguely described as "it doesn't work", then our answer can only be "how does it not work".

We don't know what version you have. You need to look at the version message or Carbonite minimap button tooltip and see. It should be 3.11.
I concur.

@Silverloch:
You've given no information for anyone to actually address your problem. I've read your post several times now hoping I can glean something from it that I didn't notice the time before, but with no success.

All I can tell you though is that Carbonite is alive and well, no functionality changed in regards to supporter/non-supporter notifications and customer support.

Rants against a company are only warranted once you've gone down the road with them trying to resolve your problem and nothing was done. However, they've been trying to help you in BOTH threads you posted the same 'issue' in. Even if you had already attempted to work with them and they couldn't fix it, that still does not create cause for your post. Even so, most of us around here could very likely figure out your problem without intervention of the support staff.

It would be awesome to see the support staff write a counter-rant about people jumping the gun like you though...since you've given them finite cause to be annoyed. Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Post back with some scenarios that someone can try to reproduce or at least some symptom of what is wrong.
Korrine - Human Deathknight
Saenerus - Night Elf Druid
Mehkran - Gnomish Rogue
Khaalor - Draenei Shaman

Last edited by Kortanis : 05-02-09 at 03:25 AM.

05-04-09, 08:19 AM   #17
spiritfox
A Murloc Raider
As a Mac user, there are tons of software available that are free but donor supported. Every time there is a new version, you usually get a notice asking to donate--you can do it or not do it, makes no difference as far as the software running is concerned. Seems like a small price to pay for great software. I too would never consider turning the donation off since it only comes up when new editions are released--keeps me from forgetting to donate.

05-09-09, 08:23 AM   #18
satterwc
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Thumbs up

+1

(and then some other crap for the 10 char minimum)

05-14-09, 05:27 AM   #19
Malsis
Premium Member

Firsty, I'll add my support for the idea of getting reminders for donations etc.

I'll be making donations equivalent to the subscription when my current one runs out. Carbonite is worth it. same with Nui.

Now, to address the complaints that there has been a slowdown in feature additions..
Yes, there may have been less updates recently. One good reason is that as time goes on, bugs get fixed so updates are less frequent.

Once every quest in the game is in the database, you won't see updates that add quests, obviously. and so forth.

As to donations required for voting, I think that going from a subscription model to a donation model must have reduced the income of developers considerably. I expect some brainstorming went on to try and come up with ways to encourage people to donate. I suppose people just feel smug that they can get this added functionality for free now. So, yes, I understand that you have to come up with ideas to get people to donate, and this isn't a bad one at all.

Personally, I think blizzard should have left the situation alone. I mean no one FORCED people use use the pay-for addons did they? They're not essential to game play, and they don't confer an unfair advantage on people who use them as opposed to people who don't. So what was Blizzards beef?

Smacks of "No one can make money out of WoW except Blizzard" doesn't it?

Bazz

05-15-09, 12:56 AM   #20
elysabethe
A Kobold Labourer
Thumbs up

I would also like to see a reminder to donate, maybe every six months to a year. I have a way of blithely skipping along, oblivious to the fact that something is overdue. If I have a library book out, they send me an email. Something equivalent would be great for Carbonite.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Subscription Renewal Notices