05-23-11, 06:19 PM   #1
Jynks
A Frostmaul Preserver
Custom Raid Icons for Public Battlegrounds

Hi there

A few mates and I play a lot of BGs but we are not in a large guild and can not do rated, so we do the random pub BGs. Anyway, I know form the few times I have popped into the BG as raid leader that raid icons work (skull, cross etc etc) So I was wondering are there any mods that can put custom marks on players. I would assume that all people who wish to see the marks would need the mod or something like that. I am sure this can be done as I seam to remember that raid marks themselves was a mod in the old days b4 it became part pf wow.

The idea is that when our small team enters the BG we can put marks on each other so we can see each other better... is that possible?
05-23-11, 06:39 PM   #2
brotherhobbes
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
if all of you use an icon replacement like:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Raidicons.html
then all of you will see that same icon.

note that if you want to see it above players heads (and not just on name plates), you'll have to build these into a .mpq. doing so is not supported by blizzard, or wowinterface.
05-24-11, 01:26 AM   #3
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by brotherhobbes View Post
note that if you want to see it above players heads (and not just on name plates), you'll have to build these into a .mpq. doing so is not supported by blizzard, or wowinterface.
This is not just "unsupported by Blizzard" but is not allowed at all. As we are an official Blizzard Fansite and thus follow the rules layed down by Blizzard, any chatter of "custom MPQs" is not allowed and will end, now.

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...d.php?t=30905:

From the WoW TOU:

. Additional License Limitations.
The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the "License Limitations"). Any use of the Service or the Game Client in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

D. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;
To the OP of this thread, any type of custom raid icons will have to mess with the 3d world (aka the bit were your character moves around). Anything that interfaces (including altering objects, textures and yes, even icons)with that 3d world is not allowed and blocked by the WoW client.

Last edited by Zyonin : 05-24-11 at 01:31 AM.
05-24-11, 09:17 AM   #4
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I've seen other threads like this before, but they both suggested that you could just 1) convert the group to raid, and then 2) set the Raid Target Marks on your party members, so that the marks would stay ..

I haven't tried it myself though and nobody reported/confirmed back there if that was actually working
Edit:
oh lol, the OP's question was totally different. my reading sucks =(

Last edited by Ketho : 05-24-11 at 01:03 PM.
05-24-11, 11:05 AM   #5
Vlad
A Molten Giant

There are many mods that replace some files like sounds and images in Interface that are hosted on the site and not taken down. I personally think it's a gray zone otherwise the devs would simply ignore loading any files except Interface\Addons if they wanted to keep all the files unaltered, right?

I myself use some file changes like scaling up tracking blips for hostile players so it's easier to spot on the minimap by editing a blp file and the game loads it just fine. I'd say editing the mark icons to look differently wouldn't be a huge violation either, no one would care really. :P

On the other hand editing the MPQ or making custom once would be a bit over the line, I'd watch out for that and avoid it.

Last edited by Vlad : 05-24-11 at 11:08 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Custom Raid Icons for Public Battlegrounds