11-13-11, 12:59 AM   #1
Starhorn
A Defias Bandit
Request: help with Farsight navigation

What I want is, I'm sure, rather...unusual.

Some of you will already know that the Shaman's Far Sight spell (and with a macro, the Hunter's Eagle Eye) can be "chain-cast": after casting at once to move the camera to the targeted section of ground, you can keep on doing this on any piece of land you can see, indefinitely. You can look at anywhere on the continent you're on this way.

I love this.

But it's rather hard to navigate while you're doing it. The minimap behaves as if the camera location is your character's location and shows the area around you accordingly, which is something. But it doesn't take the way you're looking into account - it always behaves as if you're looking the same way. North, if I remember correctly (oddly, the direction your actual character is facing doesn't seem to matter).
And if you open the world map to check for landmarks, when you close it again, Farsight/EagleEye is automatically ended and the camera returned to your character (not to mention that the world map only shows your character's location, not your camera's location - but that's only to be expected).

I downloaded the addon "TomTom" in the hopes that its "Crazy Taxi Arrow" feature would sovle this for me. Tomtom lets you set an arbitrary waypoint on the world map, and shows you a floating arrow in the UI pointing towards it - it points forwards if you're facing towards your destination, backwards if you're facing away from it.
Unfortunately, it turns out that this feature uses the direction your character is facing, not the direction your camera is facing, so I'm back to square one.

So basically, I'd love either
A)some kind of addon to solve this for me, or
B)someone to tell me how (and IF) I can access the camera's facing direction in script so I can do it myself (probably by modifying TomTom). I can't find any mention anywhere to a WoW API function that does this, but I coudl easily be missing something.

*puppy eyes*

Last edited by Starhorn : 11-13-11 at 01:57 AM.
11-13-11, 08:55 AM   #2
lordkarthas
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you shrink the world map so it's not running in "fullscreen" mode, then it won't cause Far Sight to end early.

I agree though, it's difficult to figure out exactly where you're looking.
11-13-11, 01:17 PM   #3
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Unfortunately, Blizzard is adamant against any code to detect the camera angle. There was a workaround once saving camera views and reading the CVar for them, but Blizzard has chosen to block those specific CVars from being read along with some others.
11-14-11, 12:04 AM   #4
Starhorn
A Defias Bandit
...huh. That's kind of interesting. I guess it must be an anti-bot thing? Although you'd think the character's facing direction would be more important for that....eh. *shrug*. Thanks for the confirmation, anyway.

And thanks for that tip about the world map, lordkarthas!
11-14-11, 06:52 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

They removed the ability for addons to detect the camera angle to prevent addons like AVR from effectively modifying the 3D game world.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Request: help with Farsight navigation