03-31-12, 10:55 AM   #1
Aryae
A Fallenroot Satyr
Question HD / Satellite Map & Minimap?

First off if this is any way a violation or perhaps something that isn't possible, or even the incorrect place to post this I apologize. I'm fairly new to modding my interface beyond the basic "Download this. Do this. Done." method.

I'm looking for a Add-on that changes my map and mini-map to the satellite-like versions out there. I've tried Mapster Enhanced which I can't get to work to save my life, all I receive is a message "Module options not found, please re-install Mapster Enhanced" which I have tried more times then I can count. It seems there is a issue within the file, and the author doesn't seem to be active on the comments page.
I've also tried Yatlas which provides the map, but in a separate window that doesn't act like the actual map.
I want to replace, or at least find a equivalent and disable the main map (Disable meaning hide it or removing key binds.)
The reasons for wanting to do this are rather simple; Being a complete perfectionist the current maps don't really mesh with my UI... which is clean and minimalistic.
If there is anyway to do this I'd appreciate it greatly. Or perhaps something to make a compromise if this isn't do-able without ticking Blizz off.
03-31-12, 02:33 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Kind of overkill if all you want is a map, but if you're still leveling characters you might want to look at Carbonite.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
04-01-12, 03:28 PM   #3
Aryae
A Fallenroot Satyr
Fair enough, but i'll admit I'm a bit OCD about my interface. I'm not really leveling any more characters, I'll probably make a monk when MoP rolls and level my main/alts to 90, but as far as any major leveling not really. I also hear carbonite is circling the drain via my own research trying to find my own answer.

Is there really no other way to do this? Or any addon someone can recommend?
04-01-12, 04:03 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

As far as I know there is no map addon that looks or acts like Carbonites map. I remember seeing a thread on one of the forums about someone that was trying to make one, but I don't think it ever got done.

The code for Carbonites map, and that's the map alone, looks to be pretty large and surely appears to be pretty complicated (at least to me).

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
04-01-12, 04:51 PM   #5
Aryae
A Fallenroot Satyr
Any LUA code looks confusing to me heh. I plan on eventually learning it, but I was hoping on finding a quick fix until maybe someday I'm able to figure it out.
I suppose I should just give up on the map idea for now, maybe experiment with carbonite anyway. Thanks for your assistance!
04-02-12, 12:34 AM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Just remember that Carbonite is a large, multifaceted addon and can be confusing and difficult to get set up just the way you want it. Take your time with it. I highly suggest that if you do choose to install it, you go to your "Path to your WoW folder\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\" folder and read through the "CarboniteReadMe.txt" plain text file there. It will explain quite a bit about what Carbonite is and what it does, but it will also explain how you can set it up with the various parts of the addon and its' options.

If you are having problems setting it up you can always visit the Carbonite forums here at WoWI for some answers: Carbonite Forums

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » HD / Satellite Map & Minimap?