08-16-09, 09:46 PM   #1
adventjay07
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
incorrect Talent on tooltip and HUD

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem... but i've recently noticed that the HUD and tooltip shows the incorrect talent that the person clicked on or hovering over has..... for example... sometimes when i click on a sum1 that i know is Balance Spec druid (because i inspected him).. the HUD and tooltip shows him as Resto spec druid...

this happens for all classes not just druids... so i'm wondering if this is a fixable problem.... i've tried reinstalling and turning nUI on just by itself with no other addons... that didnt work..

08-17-09, 01:31 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is a known problem when dealing with more than one addon handling inspect queries. In my case altoholic does inspect queries on my alts which are correct but the nUI screen info is wrong. But I am guessing that if I only had nUI installed it will work fine. I will check and confirm that after Ive had some sleep.

08-17-09, 05:29 AM   #3
Way
A Murloc Raider
Recently I was running without nUI (too much lag for a healer in 25 man which may have been from some of the other addons I was running, so I went almost default UI) and I had the same problem as this, so it is not nUI specific.

Saying that, I have no idea how to fix it, sorry

08-17-09, 09:12 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
There is also the issue of characters that are dual-spec. I'm not sure if nUI was updated to take this into consideration. If a druid showed a warrior spec, for example, then what Xrystal suggested may be the problem. But if all incorrect readings seem to be for the same class, then that character is using their secondary spec, but nUI is just checking for their primary.

If this is the case, scott, and you're not sure how to update it, just shoot me a PM or look at my tooltip mod.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-17-09, 12:14 PM   #5
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yes, it is as you suspected.

We could hover over a druid and it would show a paladin spec. Even on inspect it would show up the wrong tree and usually throw up a hunter tree as if it was the default tree if none was selected.

Fortunately our guild run with a few selected pugs so we have gotten to the point where at least I know what spec everyone is and don't need to worry about it.

08-17-09, 04:50 PM   #6
Akryn
A Firelord
If that's the case then nUI isn't watching for other addons that call NotifyInspect. Unfortunately, the inspect system assumes that only one addon or the Bliz UI will use it at a time, so if one addon requests talent data, and then another addon requests talent data before the first request comes back, the only answer that comes back will be the second one. There is no indication other than the talents themselves which class or player the response is for; so really the only good solution is to secure hook NotifyInspect, and if you weren't the one that called it, ignore the next result and try again (possibly after a backoff delay).

08-17-09, 06:27 PM   #7
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Yeah -- that's been a struggle from the get-go since I added talent inspections to nUI. I hadn't tought of hooking NotifyInspect though... thanks for that tip... I should be able to avoid much of the conflict that way.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

08-17-09, 09:20 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I had tried implementing LibTalentQuery into my tooltip addon and could not get it to work at all... Some day I'll try to work inspects better. PITA.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-18-09, 02:30 AM   #9
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I had tried implementing LibTalentQuery into my tooltip addon and could not get it to work at all... Some day I'll try to work inspects better. PITA.
Thread derail landing in 5...4...3...2...1

Thread derail now landing on runway 19.

MMMM.... I LOVE PITA!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

08-18-09, 04:10 AM   #10
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Thread derail? What thread derail? Did anyone see a thread derail around here? Nope! Not me! Never seen one of those before!

I have had a conversation with Bliz on the subject and they've indicated fix is in the offing, but I don't know what or when... just that they see the problem and it's on the to-do list. What I've been asking for is some information in the TALENT_INSPECT_READY event such as the GUID as an argument to the event which at least would allow the client to conclusively know if the inspection that was triggered was the one that was asked for or expected.

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
MMMM.... I LOVE PITA!
What about PETA?

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

08-18-09, 04:59 AM   #11
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post

What about PETA?
Yeah.... Not so much...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

08-18-09, 09:37 AM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
I have had a conversation with Bliz on the subject and they've indicated fix is in the offing, but I don't know what or when... just that they see the problem and it's on the to-do list. What I've been asking for is some information in the TALENT_INSPECT_READY event such as the GUID as an argument to the event which at least would allow the client to conclusively know if the inspection that was triggered was the one that was asked for or expected.
Thanks for that. Would be very nice.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » incorrect Talent on tooltip and HUD