View Poll Results: When You Find A Bug What Do You Do.
Report It 87 79.09%
Ignore It 2 1.82%
Complain About it But Not Report it 2 1.82%
Complain And Report It 17 15.45%
Other 2 1.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

07-21-10, 08:45 AM   #1
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exclamation [Poll] Are you beta testing or playing =p

Please be honest when voting. No one can see what you selected.

I was just wondering how many of us are giving bug feed back in game and on the forums and how many are just playing.

I ran into a guy in trade last night who had found a bug with a talent so as i have seen many times on the beta someone said "well report it". I was shocked when the person replied "I am not gonna report it someone else will eventually". Of course this started a 30 minute trade conversation on why the beta is around and why we are there "testing". I was fairly surprised to see the number of people in trade that said they wouldn't report bugs.

Last edited by Nobgul : 07-21-10 at 08:48 AM.

07-21-10, 09:04 AM   #2
Ither
A Firelord

That's because they are tools.

I think I sent in about 100 or so bug reports after doing the Worgen and Goblin start. Mine mainly went along the lines of;

"boring, please make this fun"

"wow I feel like an overly hairy draenai"

"wtf is Justin Timberlake trying to dance for?"

"can Beyonce come to my house?"

"seriously? a worgen in a skirt?"

"ok the top hat is cute, but wth?"

"why am I riding in a golden chariot?"

"is a rocket barrage a make up for such a ugly race?"

"who is the pimp daddy that crashed his yacht and why the hell is a green booger zapping me, im trying to sleep!"

"audio please?"

"stop with the stupid quest movies; throw bucket on abom; movie; guy shoots; movie; bullet travels; EXLOSION. really?"

Ok that's all I care to contribute now. Other than that it's pretty damn good!

07-21-10, 09:05 AM   #3
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

For me, it's not so much complaining about a bug (which I DO report) but comparing notes with other players to make sure I haven't just made a stupid mistake with regards to the changing interface. I don't want to waste Blizz's time by reporting non-bug bugs.

For OBVIOUS bugs, yeah they're reported immediately.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

07-21-10, 09:15 AM   #4
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
I would hope that most people in the beta are reporting bugs but seeing as I was in the original beta, BC's beta and WotLK beta I know that a number of people are playing only to play and ignoring the little blue question marks for feed back as well as not reporting anything to blizzard.

07-21-10, 10:10 AM   #5
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I transferred my 3 most played 80s and created 2 80s to match 2 tanks in the guild so I can look at things for them. I then filled the extra spots with new characters of different races and classes so I could test out the new levelling experience.

I've found quite a lot of bugs and reported them and found some strange effects which I reported as possible bugs but otherwise if something acts weird but not necessarily out of place I have left as is for now.

07-21-10, 11:31 AM   #6
Soeters
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Right now, I have only tested the Lost Isles and Gilneas, but there is a bunch of bugs, I try to report them all as soon as I can but some a them are very very annoying. I think I've reported 20 or so.

But I must admit that in the both previous beta, I was mainly focused on playing and I didn't report a lot of bugs (there were less bugs also).

07-21-10, 11:38 AM   #7
Kallieen
Lady of Shadows

I check the bug report forum first to see if there's a thread about it, or if it's a known issue, then report it if needed.

07-21-10, 12:03 PM   #8
unlimit
Lookin' Good

Originally Posted by Kallieen View Post
I check the bug report forum first to see if there's a thread about it, or if it's a known issue, then report it if needed.
^-- This. Best to check first, otherwise they're sifting through old stuff.

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **

07-21-10, 12:21 PM   #9
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
I don't want to waste Blizz's time by reporting non-bug bugs.
About that.

This is a topic near to my heart from all the PTR's I've taken part in.

I do believe their QA team is quite skilled at looking through multiple bug reports and deleting the duplicates. So I would take a quick look through the Catacylsm beta bug reports forum. If it's not there I would do my best efforts in testing it with multiple toons and giving as much information in my ticket as I can.

For quick reference go bookmark this link :

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/bo...orumId=7573589

Thing is I don't believe they want to restrict people's testing too much.

See they can do so called "structured" testing just fine. They have an inhouse QA team for that. Accept this quest X 1000 times with various bits of gear to see if it bugs out. Jump on this new jump rocket 2000 times with various toons. Use new attack 3000 times. Test out this new glyph etc etc.

What they can not do is the sort of stupid stuff that players work out how to do. The stuff they can't predict. The sort of chaotic testing that only gathering a good cross section of their player base can do. I'm talking here both about the train spotting guys who take full verbose notes on everything that happens to the guys who only get on to duel people in front of Ogrimmar using premades. If something bugs out it's going to bug out for everyone regardless of what they are on the beta to do or their skill set.

So IMHO just go out there and play. Your task people is to go out and make this beta client crash. To go out and find some obscure thing they would not of thought to test. Go jump off Dalaran. Do an entire 5 man in resto gear and spec. Equip a resto oriented glyph with your Elemental Shammy spec.

Go be special and chaotic. Play or Test , it really doesn't matter. As long as you find something the developers could not of forseen. Make them wonder why someone's putting a fish into his string matrice. It's all beta testing to them.

Then you report it.

If do you find a bug make sure you do all you can to figure out if it's just you or if it is a bug. The bug report forum is good for this as well as talking to your fellow beta testers. Then do all you can to report as much information about the bug as you possibly can. Short of what color underwear you are wearing of course
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 07-21-10 at 12:25 PM.

07-23-10, 07:11 PM   #10
Sythalin
Curse staff

I've reported every bug I've come across in this and every other beta to date that I've been involved in.

BUT... you have to play in order to find the bugs to report.

07-23-10, 09:17 PM   #11
AtliThor
Now in color!

I report every odd thing I encounter. Reading through the stickies on the beta forums, I get the feeling they like being overwhelmed with duplicate reports, so I am only too happy to supply that. I do put a bit more effort into debugging UI errors than I do other errors, seeing as how I got the key. I've already found and reported a few bugs in the UI... including the exact code changes required to fix them

And then there are the suggestions... I've sent in a LOT of suggestions. Some days I spend more time writing feedback than actually playing.

It is kind of odd how some people think, though. Not only do some people have no intention of helping out or report bugs, but some don't seem to realize that this is a test; a place to discover bugs and ways to improve, not just to play. Don't get me wrong, I don't have much of a problem with people that don't feel like reporting every bug they run into, or submit a suggestion about everything that pops into their heads (just their presence can help, in a way)... but whining in local about how buggy things are, complaining in the forums when the servers are down, etc... That's just annoying.

And the people that keep asking if things are bugged, after having just tried it and discovered that they are bugged. Again, don't get me wrong; discussing bugs and seeing if other people are seeing them to is one thing, but I've had several conversations that sounded painfully similar to:
[1. General] [Somebody]: WTF this sux!
[1. General] [Me]: What sux?

[Sombody] whispers: I did X and it DCd me and I came back dead on the other side of the world. Is it bugged?
[Sombody]: No, genius. It's supposed to do that!
[Sombody] whispers: That suxxor!! Wut shud I doo?
[Sombody]: Report it, of course.
[Sombody] whispers: How to do that?! Cud u tell me plz?!
[Sombody]: Press the blue "B" icon on your minimap, and follow the instructions.
[Sombody] whispers: I don't know how that works. This game suxx!! <incoherent 1337/text ramblings...>
[Sombody]: Go read the forums. They've got step-by-step instructions for... people like you.

No player named 'Somebody' is currently playing.
10 minutes later on live...
[2. Trade][Somebody]: LFM ICC25. /w ach and GS. (6K+ or stfu!)

P.S.
Updating the PC... not a lot to do atm.

Last edited by AtliThor : 07-23-10 at 09:20 PM.

07-24-10, 02:50 AM   #12
Unkn
Premium Member

Anyone had a chance to test it a few times to see if it a bug?

Thats how my friends and I always have tried to do it. Play beta or ptr, group up and pewpew. When something goes wrong try and replicate. If we can make it happen again we check forums, and the report it if its now a known bug.

I have yet to see this beta... broken bnet is broken. Soon though. Then my friends and I shall start making messes again.

07-24-10, 07:45 AM   #13
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Unkn View Post
Anyone had a chance to test it a few times to see if it a bug?

Thats how my friends and I always have tried to do it. Play beta or ptr, group up and pewpew. When something goes wrong try and replicate. If we can make it happen again we check forums, and the report it if its now a known bug.

I have yet to see this beta... broken bnet is broken. Soon though. Then my friends and I shall start making messes again.
Yes, thats the way proper testing works. I am sure most addon writers here that are programmers of some degree will automatically do that in their testing regime.

07-28-10, 12:41 PM   #14
kylerules142
A Defias Bandit

Another thing you guys have to keep in mind is that this beta is gonna last a LONG time. There are hundreds maybe thousands of bugs yet to be reported.
Also, the whole world is getting a makeover which means bugs will be EVERYWHERE.

07-28-10, 09:22 PM   #15
Unkn
Premium Member

Dismounting while flying over random spots in the Barrens. That is good fun. Glad I dropped lw to train my abilities and not engineering. Parachute ftw.

And how about the vehicle interface. Can't wait to see what some of the new vehicle interfaces actually look like, because I sure can't see them atm.

All in all its good fun though. And there is great fun to be had. Remember kiddies you can fly around now. I keep forgetting

07-28-10, 10:17 PM   #16
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

The vehicle thing is a bug

It took my many tries to successfully enter the vehicle and see the UI.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Cataclysm Beta » [Poll] Are you beta testing or playing =p