10-14-12, 05:32 PM   #1
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Apology for no update yet

The Battlegrounds are driving me crazy ... I have them enabled, and when you enter one of the new ones it is working, but it's not displaying the map just a green window (with the carts drawn overtop).

They have nothing anywhere calling the battleground maps so I'm not sure where things are going wrong yet... but it's taking forever to figure out since I can't join a BG then just sit there and work on code, else they'll report me for afk.

Why is nothing ever easy... LOL

10-14-12, 05:35 PM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Temple of Kotmogu is working now... so it's just silvershard mine doing it

10-14-12, 06:24 PM   #3
Goranth
An Aku'mai Servant
LOL enough people get away with it as it is, just run a BG bot

JK I hate those things :P could you not join a skirmish match with volunteers?

10-14-12, 08:43 PM   #4
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I might not use Carbonite, but honestly Rythal, chill, relax, take a deep breath or a few hundred. Carbonite is huge, and your plans for its evolution are difficult, to say the least.

Break it down into steps. Set milestone dates, and you know what, if you don't make them, so what? Little steps. If you keep looking at what is broken or needs changing, it will seem overwhelming. Sit back, and enjoy the little things. The users can and will wait.

10-14-12, 11:09 PM   #5
crazzzzi
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

yup, what you've done so far is phenomenal, everyone knows the code was a train wreck when you took this on, so focus on one area at a time, it'll come together

10-15-12, 03:53 AM   #6
LostinTime
A Murloc Raider
Rythal your doing great. Relax. Every addon has hiccups.

10-15-12, 06:54 AM   #7
MarineMa6
A Defias Bandit
Rythal no need to apologize. Seriously you are the man. Keep up the good work. We all praise you.

10-15-12, 08:34 AM   #8
DHubert
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
I might not use Carbonite, but honestly Rythal, chill, relax, take a deep breath or a few hundred. Carbonite is huge, and your plans for its evolution are difficult, to say the least.

Break it down into steps. Set milestone dates, and you know what, if you don't make them, so what? Little steps. If you keep looking at what is broken or needs changing, it will seem overwhelming. Sit back, and enjoy the little things. The users can and will wait.
I agree whole heartedly. We all know Carbonite has had issues for a very long time yet we *make do* for now because what does work is awesome. The old saying of how does one eat an elephant comes to mind... The answer is one bite at a time. As your work goes forward, it might come to *breaking* some features to recode others.... I can be patient as Carbonite goes through renovations... knowing the end result holds such promise.

You have nothing to apologize for.

10-15-12, 11:10 AM   #9
Zoltar118
A Defias Bandit
I am new on this forum, but have been using carbonite since burning crusade I believe. I love it and can't wait till its back up and running smoothly again. Patiently slumming through quests using the default blizz quest tracker and maps. Ugh lol. That being said, the features I hope you work on, is the quest color blobs on the map, waypoints and waypoint routing for gather feature. I depend HEAVILY on the gather feature and I'm slumped on my gathering professions without this lol. Rythal, don't get too stressed with updating this, cause we all love the addon, and will wait without flaming you when we know you are working to provide us with quality work. just keep up the good work!

10-15-12, 01:39 PM   #10
timmarc18
A Murloc Raider
Keep up the great work bud!!! Good things come to those who wait. Been using it since i've been playing not bound to give up on it now.

10-15-12, 01:47 PM   #11
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
oh good things do definately come... like... well, you know those tiny instance maps that really did you no good unless you zoom zoom zoom in on them, then when you leave you gotta zoom zoom zoom out....

I know it's always annoyed me... so.. I did something about it :P

Next version auto-zooms in on an instance, and remembers your old zoom level for when you leave.

10-15-12, 02:33 PM   #12
timmarc18
A Murloc Raider
Awesome! That was really annoying.

10-15-12, 02:57 PM   #13
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Rythal, take it from a seasoned hand at this: communication is the key, and you are doing a fantastic job of that.

[Most] People are happy to wait, as long as they know what is going on. For example, that's the reason why I posted the update about the prizes from our 10th anniversary stuff. There's no obligation on my part to post anything. But it's just common courtesy and makes all the difference in the world. People generally only get bitchy when they don't know what is going on, when there is no communication. Even if there is going to be a delay for whatever reason, just saying that "hey, something is going on in my [personal/work/whatever] life and this has to take a back burner for awhile" will have most people going "oh, okay, thanks for the update."

You are doing fine. Just continue on as you have been and no one will have any (valid or reasonable) complaints.

10-15-12, 04:45 PM   #14
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

^ Agreed....

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

10-15-12, 05:28 PM   #15
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I dont think anybody could have said it better than Cairenn.

Rythal, your doing a fantastic job thanks for the updates

10-15-12, 05:30 PM   #16
antiquada
A Fallenroot Satyr
What do they say all the time in Pandaria when I turn in a quest? "Slow down, take your time"
Thank you for everything.

10-15-12, 07:03 PM   #17
crazzzzi
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

yes sir, we just like to see you show your face in the forum every now and again, the boss lady hit the nail on the head

10-16-12, 09:09 AM   #18
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
oh good things do definately come... like... well, you know those tiny instance maps that really did you no good unless you zoom zoom zoom in on them, then when you leave you gotta zoom zoom zoom out....

Next version auto-zooms in on an instance, and remembers your old zoom level for when you leave.
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG

YES!!!!

10-16-12, 09:12 AM   #19
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant

It almost seems rude to ask when you're working on so many things right now, but when you were investigating this, did you by any chance find the bug that causes it to sometimes not display your party members on the instance maps?

10-16-12, 09:21 AM   #20
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
The Battlegrounds are driving me crazy ... I have them enabled, and when you enter one of the new ones it is working, but it's not displaying the map just a green window (with the carts drawn overtop).

They have nothing anywhere calling the battleground maps so I'm not sure where things are going wrong yet... but it's taking forever to figure out since I can't join a BG then just sit there and work on code, else they'll report me for afk.

Why is nothing ever easy... LOL
Does the map work the same in War Games as it does in "real" BGs? I'm sure some guild would be happy to take you into a War Game to let you work on it. You have fans.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Apology for no update yet