05-29-11, 09:32 AM   #1
Voltec
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Smile Requesting option to use 'Taxi' routes even it's not optimal

As I mentioned in this thread:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=30810

When I'm doing repetitive flying like working archeology, it is VERY desired (at least by me) to be able to use the nearest Taxi even if it's not quite the optimal route. I have an epic mount on 2 of my toons and with that, it appears that Carbonite never recognizes the flight paths to be the preferred route even with 'Use Travel Routes' enabled. I'm guessing it's that I now fly close enough to the taxi speed that using a taxi wouldn't save any time.

But

When I'm flying repeatedly, it kinda sucks to have to point my flying mount in the right direction, and try to aim it fairly level before looking at something else... but this is not foolproof unless I fly at a very high altitude (or mountains can get in the way if I'm not paying attention). It would be HIGHLY beneficial if I could fly my flying mount to the nearest taxi and then fly to the nearest taxi to my target area... and then fly using my mount to the location.

You could even make it adjustable, all you'd have to do is put in a slider that you could range to how much loss of time (or percentage) would be acceptable for using a travel route vs flying ourselves... so if I didn't mind losing 2 minutes or 25% of the optimal time in flying time to use a taxi instead then I'd adjust the slider and it would use that to calculate the desired route.

I hope that this could be implemented in the future... and I'd absolutely welcome comments by others that agree or disagree with this.

Thanks!

Last edited by Voltec : 05-29-11 at 09:34 AM.

05-30-11, 12:29 PM   #2
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you hold down the Alt key, it will force taxi nodes and zone connection to be used in the travel calculation. Releasing the key will then go back to normal. I don't know if that is workable for you to see where the taxi is. Let me know.

05-31-11, 05:25 PM   #3
Voltec
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Cool... didn't know that option was available... I'm about to give it a shot... if that works as you stated, it would very much be what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

05-31-11, 05:42 PM   #4
Voltec
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I just tried it and holding the Alt key while right clicking and selecting 'goto' had no effect. I made sure to pick a point quite a distance from me (8000 yds in this case) with multiple flight paths in the approx way. It's probably the fact that I've got an epic mount so a taxi would probably be a bit less than optimal... but as I said in my first post, I'd prefer to use even a bit less than optimal route if I can sit back and not have to guide the path myself... aka, take the taxi vs flying it on my own mount.

PS. The only thing I notice that does happen when I press the Alt key is that I see my fiance's toon name on my map at her current location (we're in the same private guild)... don't know why the alt key shows that... but it did... lol

Last edited by Voltec : 05-31-11 at 05:44 PM.

06-01-11, 12:12 AM   #5
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Oops, turns out that was a debugging feature not in the release build. I just enabled it for release.

"Added ignoring of riding skill when Alt key held down."

Holding Alt also pops player icons up in the draw order and shows their name and target name. That is what you were seeing.

06-01-11, 05:58 PM   #6
Voltec
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Sounds great - Thanks!

06-01-11, 09:03 PM   #7
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Try the beta here:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40364

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Requesting option to use 'Taxi' routes even it's not optimal