04-05-17, 06:56 AM   #1
Pops'Hunter
A Murloc Raider

Minion wants to update to older versions of what I have installed.

I am running Minion v3.0.5 on Windows 7 64bit. And for some reason Minion wants to update addons to an older version to what I have installed, or a different number altogether. Granted I use Curse as well as some addons get updated there first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minoin.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	8932  
Attached Files
File Type: xml minion.xml (8.0 KB, 635 views)
04-05-17, 03:18 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
See here: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...19&postcount=9
for some insight.

You can also read through this thread if you like, to see how it has been debated in the past: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=52820

If you update some addons from Curse, and the addons' authors keep them more up to date at Curse, simply right-click that addon in Minion and set it to ignore.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-15-17, 07:23 AM   #3
aallkkaa
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Suggestion

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
See here: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...19&postcount=9If you update some addons from Curse, and the addons' authors keep them more up to date at Curse, simply right-click that addon in Minion and set it to ignore.
That's a good point. But what if, instead of doing a Minion + Curse (maybe + Manual-downloads too) method of updating, I only want to do Minion + Manual-downloads?

For this scenario, I'd suggest two different types of "Ignore addon" options be given to the user:
A. "Ignore" (completely) (and permanently, til user changes his mind) - what is currently in place;
B. "Ignore current update" (only current update, not future ones) - once a new version of the addon were to be posted on WoWI, then Minion would automatically remove it from the Ignore list.

My logic for option B is that ome addons do get updated earlier on Curse (or wherever else you got them from) but do eventually get updated on WoWI as well. For me, in most cases (unless the previous version of the addon was properly broken), I'd be alright with the delay.
In some situations, I might be alright with updating the addon manually but, if at some point, its author decides to keep it updated on WoWI, then I'd rather have Minion update it for me.

Adding to the above functionality, you might keep the "Ignore current update" on the list of addons with possible updates, but diferentiated from the ones the user hadn't chosen to ignore. This could be through a different "Update" button (text and/or color) and/or ordered after the regular "Update" addons (but before the addons with no updates whatsoever).

BTW, speaking of colors, I have some eyesight problem which comes up specially with low contrast. That white text on that light green button is rather low contrast. Could you please use a darker tone of green maybe?

Thanks for your awesome work on both the site and Minion!
11-16-17, 07:36 PM   #4
aallkkaa

Originally Posted by aallkkaa View Post
BTW, speaking of colors, I have some eyesight problem which comes up specially with low contrast. That white text on that light green button is rather low contrast. Could you please use a darker tone of green maybe?
On this subject, I reminded myself of a neat little online tool from the W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). It's all primarily intended for making webpages accessible to everyone, but much of it applies to any type of software meant to be interacted with. This tool in particular allows you to try different combinations of foreground (text) color over background color and get a rating for how accessible the resulting contrast is.
Here's the link: https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/

Last edited by aallkkaa : 11-17-17 at 09:13 PM.
11-17-17, 07:32 PM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by aallkkaa View Post
... This tool in peculiar allows you to try different ...
Uhm... It think you mean "particular" in this case. BUT, I may be wrong (after all, English may not be your native language ).

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
11-17-17, 08:07 PM   #6
aallkkaa

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Uhm... It think you mean "particular" in this case. BUT, I may be wrong (after all, English may not be your native language ).
Yes. No. Indeed.
Fixed.
Thank you!

Last edited by aallkkaa : 11-17-17 at 09:12 PM.
04-05-17, 04:43 PM   #7
Pops'Hunter
A Murloc Raider

thanks for the reply and links Seerah, I searched somewhat but didn't see anything relevant.
04-26-17, 10:33 PM   #8
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

Hi,

I have the same problem ...

Minion wants to update addons using version number completely wrong even for addons that are on WoWI.
For example, if you check the img you can see that all the addons with gm* (mine) are completely mischecked even if on WOWI I usually mantain all of them even before curse.

In this case where it gets this version numbers so old and is there a way to reset it ?

Thanks.
04-26-17, 10:54 PM   #9
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

Hi,

I have found in the setting the possibility to reset addons, games and drive.
Using this make the situation better even if there are some iussues that are still there.

Is it possible that Minion will have an option to scan them everytime ?

Here is my situation:

- Tipsy has a wrong version in toc file: ## Version: $project-version$

- Skada is a pity but it is not outdated on WOWI as on curse but it is correctly detected.

- EPGP* are mismatched, I have:

- OpenAll (I used the kemayo version) is mismatched the same but it is not not update on WOWI like on curse.

- AraBrokerGuild is correctly detected as outdated even if it is not because the latest file r76 has in .toc file: Version: r75

Thanks for attention.
04-27-17, 03:43 PM   #10
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Hi gmarco,

Thanks for your post! Here are some comments I had...

Originally Posted by gmarco View Post
Hi,

I have found in the setting the possibility to reset addons, games and drive.
Using this make the situation better even if there are some iussues that are still there.

Is it possible that Minion will have an option to scan them everytime ?
It does scan them every time you start Minion? I'll have to double check but maybe its not re-scanning the toc files. Just checking to make sure the AddOn is still there.

- Tipsy has a wrong version in toc file: ## Version: $project-version$
Not sure how we can correct this, the author uploaded it to our site like that. So when Minion detects it in the wild it uses the version found in the toc which is "Version: $project-version$". If you download it and install it directly from Minion it will use the version number the author entered into our database and ignore the toc version.

- Skada is a pity but it is not outdated on WOWI as on curse but it is correctly detected.
The version WOWI has in its database is 1.6.4, Minion wants to make your version the same that is on our site. With these simple version numbers it would be easy for us to update Minion so it could tell that 1.6.8 is newer than 1.6.4 but many authors use names, letters, numbers & git hashes in their versions. This is an issue with in the wild detection. Shouldn't happen if you use Minion to install the AddOn and not reset detection.

- EPGP* are mismatched, I have:
epgp (dkp reloaded) is marked as discontinued on our site so Minion tried to match it to something current.

- OpenAll (I used the kemayo version) is mismatched the same but it is not not update on WOWI like on curse.
Minion matched it to the newest version our site has. Since there are 3 versions of it on our site. http://www.wowinterface.com/download...search=openall

Last edited by Dolby : 04-27-17 at 03:47 PM.
04-27-17, 10:42 PM   #11
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
It does scan them every time you start Minion? I'll have to double check but maybe its not re-scanning the toc files. Just checking to make sure the AddOn is still there.
I don't think it re-reads the .toc when it scans.

I run into this frequently:
  1. Update Addon's .toc file
  2. uploaded the new version to WoWI
  3. Minion tells me my source version needs an update from WoWI, even showing the wrong local .toc version

Also pops up if you pull an addon from a non-WoWI source but it's also updated on WoWI.

I'm really surprised that Minion doesn't read the on-disk .toc file. A tiny amount of extra load time would be well, well worth removing this particular headache.
04-27-17, 09:54 PM   #12
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

Hi Dolby,

thanks for your kind reply.

Installing the addon with version mismatch again with minion solve the .toc files problems.

A couple of whishes:

- Is it possible that it shows also the addons that it could not find so we can guess what other addons we have to find elsewhere to download and update ? with a link to google (or other research engine you wish) so we can find them fast ?!?!?

- is it possible to have a function/tool that clean all the saved variables of addon not used anymore or badly deleted removing only the folder in then addon dir ? It is a thing the first curse client had but disappeared also from the latest twitch client.

Thanks !

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Minion wants to update to older versions of what I have installed.