12-22-07, 09:44 PM   #1
scottietrek
A Defias Bandit
Post Help With Texture backgrounds

Ok Guys i know this is probally very simple but i just have not been able to find it. I have a frame and i want the Quest greeting background in it but what i want to do is just have the paper background not the entire border. if i stretch out the texture you can see the textures outside of the frame. What can i do to keep this from happening.
12-22-07, 10:18 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
photoshop
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-03-08, 10:40 AM   #3
fad3d
A Defias Bandit
You could also try using the texture coordinates to have wow crop the texture for you and not have to photoshop an entirely new texture by putting the below code in your texture code of your xml.
Code:
<TexCoords left="0" right="1" top="0" bottom="1"/>
Been awhile since I've used this but if memory servers me the values go by the textures dimensions as a percentile. For example left="0" (0%) and right="1" (100%) so if your image was 100 pixels wide and the part you wanted was from the far left to the middle you would do left="0" and right="0.5".

Basically you take the image and open it in a photo editing program like photoshop to figure out the pixel dimensions of what you want and the texture itself. Then if what you want for example starts 5 pixels from the left you would take 5 and divide by the full textures width (say 100pixels as the example) so your left starting edge would be left="0.05", just repeat that for the other 3 sides and you should get what you need.

Its abit more work but saves having to make a texture for something thats already loaded for use. You may end up just having to make a texture anyways since the quest log is probably like the character frame in that its seperated into 4 large textures so you arent going to get the full size of what you want and it may look bad if its stretched too much.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Help With Texture backgrounds