10-29-12, 09:05 AM   #1
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
VarwynUI

Another Expansion, another UI. I started from scratch again this time, and came up with this
(that old thread I had can be deleted, I stopped using that UI or that account in general)

Features:
- One font for everything
- Clean, minimalistic

Addons Used:
- Chatter
- ouF:Skaarj
- Pocketplot
- WFWW
- TinyDPS
- TipTop
- Satrina's Buff Frame
- NeedtoKnow
- Ferous Shared Media
- Bartender 4
- OmniCC
- KuiNameplates
- Bagnon

All credits go the individual authors of these addons, I merely adapted them to my liking :')

Any constructive criticism is of course greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_102912_155408.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	7329  
10-29-12, 01:22 PM   #2
Kendian
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I like the arrangement of the different elements.....
1. But the white is too bright, for me.
2. Don't show the key binds or hot key on the action bars.
3. The side bar and bag bar, I would have only shown on mouse over, same for pet bar.
4. Pet frame name needs only be shown on mouse over, if at all.
5. Unit frames either need bigger bars, or smaller font, though that's DEFINITELY a preference, a general frame with all the info thrown on it is just to haphazard for me. (Do you really need your own name on your unit frame?)
That's what I would change, but again, it's YOUR choices that matter, you have to look at it, lol~

Last edited by Kendian : 10-29-12 at 01:26 PM.
10-29-12, 03:23 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

White is definitely too bright, but if you want to keep it, do something to make the text more readable. I don't think the outline is helping; the text on your unit frames is basically unreadable. Try using darker text colors with no outline and no shadow (or a white shadow). Same goes for your debuff timer bars -- it's very hard to read the text.

I also agree that the player/pet frame names and bag buttons are unnecessary. You should have the "open all bags" function bound to a key (the default is "b") and there's no reason to ever open an individual bag by clicking.

Also, you might consider adding a cooldown bar above (or below) your central action bar, and moving buffs, utility skills, and long cooldowns into OPie or setting those bars to be visible only on mouseover.

I don't agree with Kendian that you should hide the keybinds. I don't even hide the keybinds on my main bar, which has the same 1-6 bindings on every character I play. For abilities that are bound differently on different characters, having the bindings showing is pretty important, since otherwise I would constantly forget which button was which ability on the 6 different specs/classes I play regularly. However, I do have some spells that are similar across classes and specs bound to keys without a visible button; for example, "G" is always bound to my interrupt ability, "C" is always bound to a dispel/res macro, "X" is always bound to crowd control (and "Z" on characters with two CCs), "Q" is bound to taunt, F1-F* are bound to stances/forms, Numpad + is bound to my biggest powerup (Bloodlust, Berserk, etc.), Numpad 0 is my biggest defensive cooldown, etc.
10-29-12, 04:14 PM   #4
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Never heard of that oPie addon before, let's try that out. In the meanwhile, I've made it darker, but now it just looks like an amaturistic version of FreeUI

Edit: added screenshot of new version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_102912_231805.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	7330  

Last edited by Myridin : 10-29-12 at 04:20 PM.
10-29-12, 06:56 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

What's the blue bar underneath your player frame? If it's the pet health bar, it's very bright.

Also, I find your lack of alignment disturbing.
  • There are different amounts of space between the edges of the screen and the top of the buffs, the top of the minimap, the right edge of the minimap, the right edge of the right action bar, and the bottom of the main action bars.
  • There are different amounts of space between the buttons on the right action bar, and the buttons on the main action bars.
  • There are different amounts of space between adjacent elements throughout the UI -- for example, between the minimap and info box underneath it, and between the player frame and the blue bar underneath it, and between the minimap and buffs.
  • The bottom of the right actionbar could (should?) line up with the bottom of the target frame.

The border on your minimap is thicker than the border on your action buttons. The borders on your buffs and unit frames are fuzzy, while the borders on everything else are sharp.

The objectives watch frame seems randomly placed.
10-30-12, 06:14 AM   #6
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

What is that gradient texture you're using for your various bars? It's very pretty.

Nevermind, I see you have Ferous shared media listed there.

Last edited by sakurakira : 11-03-12 at 07:50 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » VarwynUI