01-23-14, 03:54 AM   #1
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Fan Update Policy Question

I've been asked to make a fan update of XanMapIcons, which currently isn't hosted on Curse or WoWI (although the author does host several other projects on Curse/WoWI).

The project doesn't include a license file anywhere, which I believe makes it All Rights Reserved; even though it's hosted on GitHub (an open source-focused site).

My main question is whether or not I'd be allowed to host my update on WoWI (and/or Curse, if anyone is familiar with their fan update policy). If I can't host it here I can still fork it on GitHub; although it's not the best way to distribute AddOns to users.
01-23-14, 04:34 AM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hey Choonstertwo. I'd ask that you get in touch with the original author, Xruptor, and ask for their permission to fan update/fork it. As they have an account on the site you can use our PM system to send them a message.
01-23-14, 04:54 AM   #3
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Hey Choonstertwo. I'd ask that you get in touch with the original author, Xruptor, and ask for their permission to fan update/fork it. As they have an account on the site you can use our PM system to send them a message.
I forgot to mention that I already did that on the 31st of December last year, I haven't gotten any response yet.

I just sent them the same message on Curse in case they don't have WoWI PM notifications enabled.

On a slightly related note, are you able to read our private messages?

Last edited by Choonstertwo : 01-23-14 at 05:12 AM.
01-23-14, 05:34 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Well, based on the comments in the code you linked, it looks like it's just a standalone adaptation of Mapster's group icons module, so if you can't get in touch with Xruptor, I'm sure Nevcairiel would be fine with you using his code again to start your own addon.
01-23-14, 08:08 AM   #5
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Xruptor just replied to me on Curse and granted me permission to update the AddOn. I'll probably end up merging the update into their copy of the repository, so I may or may not need to host it on Curse/WoWI myself.

If they don't want to upload it WoWI themselves and grant me permission to do so, would I need them to say so on WoWI (through a PM or the forums)?

Last edited by Choonstertwo : 01-23-14 at 08:13 AM.
01-23-14, 08:48 AM   #6
10leej
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Choonstertwo View Post
Xruptor just replied to me on Curse and granted me permission to update the AddOn. I'll probably end up merging the update into their copy of the repository, so I may or may not need to host it on Curse/WoWI myself.

If they don't want to upload it WoWI themselves and grant me permission to do so, would I need them to say so on WoWI (through a PM or the forums)?
If he gave you permission on curse then your within your legal right to upload that copy wherever. WoWI though may need to copy of his permission.
01-23-14, 01:43 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yeah, I'd appreciate you either asking Xrupter to get in touch with me directly, or a copy of the PM on Curse (I have an account there, just forward it to me). I'd prefer the first if at all possible.
01-23-14, 11:48 PM   #8
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I've just asked him what the Curse/WoWI situation will be (who uploads what to both sites), so if he ends up wanting me to upload it here; I'll forward the PM to you. Are you Carienn on Curse as well?

This fan update business is very complicated.
01-24-14, 12:06 AM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yep. I'm Cairenn almost everywhere.
01-24-14, 12:24 AM   #10
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Yep. I'm Cairenn almost everywhere.
Whoops, I just realised I've been reading your name as Carienn instead of Cairenn for quite a while now. I need to pay more attention.
01-24-14, 02:04 AM   #11
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hehehe, no worries. I'm very used to people misspelling it, as evidenced by the fact that I didn't even notice the misspelling in your post.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Fan Update Policy Question