10-28-14, 08:01 AM   #1
Jpapertowels
A Defias Bandit

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Reduce JPEG compression a bit on addon pages

Preview thumbnails on addon pages and addon preview-on-hover links are incredibly uglyyyyy.
Could you make it possible to use the original image and browser-reduce dimensions if its file size is reasonable (say, under 80 KB), or at least reduce the amount of compression of the jpeg thumbnail generator on those specific things.
I think it's currently set to something like 20%.

Here is an original addon screenshot, 69.9 KB @ 100% quality:

aaaaaaaaaaaand this is what it looks like on previews like the main page for downloading the addon (20%ish quality):
SPOILER ALERT: it looks like Blizzard's new FXAA option in WoW!

So it's only 10.5 KB, saving a good 59.4 KB sure but wow does that addon ever look hideous!
How often do people even click the thumbnail to view original if the addon itself is that small? :P

If the bandwidth savings are really that important, 60% quality provides a fine picture at a mere 23.1 KB.

I don't think there's many WoW players playing on dial-up, so I think it's safe to say this would be an okay change.

PS. 80% quality would be my choice!

Last edited by Jpapertowels : 10-28-14 at 08:07 AM.
10-28-14, 01:50 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

I've complained about the image processing in the past... in addition to this problem, it's still hugely increasing the file sizes on the full images somehow, cancelling out any potential bandwidth savings from overcompressing the thumbnails. I'd guess the two are related. :P
10-28-14, 02:48 PM   #3
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

It makes sense to resize and compress (although it's excessive) the images to create thumbnails, but why alter the full sized images at all?
10-28-14, 02:50 PM   #4
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
The image resizing class needs to be re-written (don't think I've changed it since 2006?). Just need to get to it some day.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Reduce JPEG compression a bit on addon pages