01-17-10, 12:32 PM   #1
Will5757
A Murloc Raider
outgoing msg's

would it be possible to reduce the number of outgoing msg's carbonite sends to other players (the ones on the mod communication channel)

recently i've started to have dc's due to my client being flooded by mods sending frequent msgs to me that i'm not interested in (i dunno why carbonite has to send me a msg every second or 2)

and the only way i can stop it, is either to get guildie's and friends to stop using the mod, or to ignore them

01-17-10, 01:48 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Will5757 View Post
and the only way i can stop it, is either to get guildie's and friends to stop using the mod, or to ignore them
Or go into the Carb Options under "Social & Comm" and disable Carbs ability to communicate locations/level ups/Punks/Versions etc etc.

01-17-10, 02:18 PM   #3
Will5757
A Murloc Raider
i don't even have carbonite, the issue i have it other peoples carbonite is sending me a lot of msgs, with enough mods sending me a msg every second i'll start dc'ing again

01-17-10, 02:38 PM   #4
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Have you ever used Carbonite?

Carbonite uses private custom channels to communicate so I do not see how Carbonite messages would make it to you unless you have Carbonite installed or have had it installed in the past and there may be old Carb chat channels still being used.

01-17-10, 04:45 PM   #5
Will5757
A Murloc Raider
i've never installed carbonite, i recently got a mod called fu_addonspam to track inc msgs, and there's a lot comeing from carbonite, on the general addon channel, when i view the channel they are quite clearly from carbonite

i'll try to copy and paste a few of them here next time someone with carbonite's online

01-17-10, 05:10 PM   #6
Akryn
A Firelord
There is no general addon channel. There are GUILD/RAID/PARTY/BG and WHISPER. Everything other than WHISPER is extremely unlikely to be a problem because of outgoing throttling by Bliz. I believe Carb does whisper all of your friends (hidden addon whispers) by default -- which conceivably could cause a problem if you have a lot of people who have friended you, have Carb, and haven't turned off that option.

Addon communication really does not add very much traffic compared to just the normal game traffic, though; it would take a very large number of people to do it.

That said, IMHO Carb should probably check (if it doesn't already) whether a person has the addon before bothering to whisper them from the friends list. An option to opt out of whispers if you have it installed would be neat too. Just in case you happen to be in a position where it does cause you problems.

01-17-10, 07:14 PM   #7
Will5757
A Murloc Raider
msg's like these?

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...710_150125.jpg

i get them constantly, over a hour or so i'll have had over 1000 inc msg's from a single user of carbonite, add in more of these combined with other spammy mods like gearscore and healbot, thats where my issues start

it's true that i never really "see" them, but that doesn't stop them from flooding my client causing disconnects, often during raids and instances

hopefully this can be fixed so i don't have to ignore half my friends to be able to raid\heroic properly

01-17-10, 08:42 PM   #8
Akryn
A Firelord
Yeah, those are going to guild. There's no way to not send to everyone if you send to the guild channel. "Usually" that won't cause a problem.

Assuming, for example, that there are 100 people sending you messages at the rate that you stated of 1000/hr, that's probably about 8 KB/s extra down. Hardly game breaking.

I'm not saying that addon messages can't cause disconnects -- they certainly could. I'm just suggesting that relying on an addon that displays the addon channel and a gut feeling that 1000/hour is "too much" is not any sort of proof that, in your case, addon messages are disconnecting you. If you haven't done any other testing, you should do so before blaming addon communication. For example, does a different character that isn't in a guild, but is in the same location and on the same account, have the same rate of d/c's? If you /gquit temporarily during a raid, does that help at all? It may turn out that, if you do that, you'll find that addon messages are probably causing your problems; at least then you would have some sort of actual evidence.

Last edited by Akryn : 01-17-10 at 08:45 PM.

01-17-10, 09:16 PM   #9
Will5757
A Murloc Raider
i will try those methods, but i was dc'ing to the order of..about a dozen+ times a day or more before i started limtied inc addon spam, since then i've had 2 dc's, both of which happened in a raid i was getting spammed by healbot (the healcomm part more specifically)

since i limited inc msg's i've had no dc's in 5 mans like i used to since 3.3, or the random ones i got in the world

i suppose it's possible that it's just a big coincidence, but that seems unlikely

01-17-10, 09:31 PM   #10
Akryn
A Firelord
...before i started limtied inc addon spam...
I didn't realize that you had already done so. Do you mean just by ignoring people? IMO the best test is to unignore everyone that you ignored for that reason, and see if you can work it out where you can gquit at the start of a raid, and join again half-way through. If you get no d/c's during the first half, and start d/c'ing during the second half, that would be a pretty good indication that guild addon spam was the problem.

Two reasons that it's useful to do it during a raid are:
1. (Obviously) addons are more spammy during raids.
2. D/C's are more likely during raids for other reasons.

Cities are another good place to test of course.

01-17-10, 11:54 PM   #11
Will5757
A Murloc Raider
we don't have a raid till this upcoming Wednesday, at which point I'll try resetting what I've done (some of my own mods were a little more vocal then necessary) and see how the raid goes, it does depend somewhat on who attends said raids (what mods are active with which raiders) but i should be able to get a decent idea

as i recall the chat flooding has been a issue for sometime with addons, even prior to the hidden msgs where addons used to have a custom channel for each one, though it seems to affect only certain people (possibly with less then desirable connections, i know my own is prone to strange spiking on a 3d trace route, but seems to preform just fine)

01-18-10, 12:28 AM   #12
Akryn
A Firelord
as i recall the chat flooding has been a issue for sometime with addons, even prior to the hidden msgs where addons used to have a custom channel for each one
Heh...the only addon I ever used before the addon channels, that talked to other clients, was CTRA -- and it only did that because at the time you couldn't query the health of raid members outside of your own party(!). I do remember a lot of complaining about how it did it inefficiently and people thought it was lagging them, although it never did for me.

01-18-10, 08:09 PM   #13
Will5757
A Murloc Raider
it's not so much of a bandwidth issue, it may have something to do with latency and hops, i'm unsure

i just know that addons flooding ppls client's and dc'ing them has been a issue for a long time, if an uncommon one, it may have something to do with coding, it's sort of hard to tell how other then the fact that it does do it, and it's something internal to the client\server (a actual connection lag out takes about 20+ seconds for a person to leave the server, where as the drops i'm experiencing are near instant, lag out, and my toons off the server)

01-18-10, 09:43 PM   #14
Akryn
A Firelord
it's not so much of a bandwidth issue, it may have something to do with latency and hops, i'm unsure

i just know that addons flooding ppls client's and dc'ing them has been a issue for a long time, if an uncommon one, it may have something to do with coding, it's sort of hard to tell how other then the fact that it does do it, and it's something internal to the client\server (a actual connection lag out takes about 20+ seconds for a person to leave the server, where as the drops i'm experiencing are near instant, lag out, and my toons off the server)
That may be the spam limiter; but I thought that only applied to outbound traffic. If you send messages too fast it will instantly d/c you. Maybe there's a limit to receiving too.../shrug

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » outgoing msg's