01-21-10, 07:56 PM   #1
Republic
Paladin

Warrior Problem?

Any thoughts on this situation?

I put 3 talent points into "Incite" within the protection tree. The talent description reads, "Increases the critical strike chance of your Heroic Strike, Thunder Clap, and Cleave abilities by 15%".

After running 3 or 4 days worth of instances (using Recount), I see that I'm getting between 4.8% and 5.3% critical rate with my Thuder Clap ability. The main reason I took Incite was to increase my utility when AOE tanking.

What's wrong?
02-21-10, 03:31 PM   #2
Antithought
A Defias Bandit

It could be that your crit rate was incredibly low to begin with, or that Recount just isn't showing correctly considering it's crit rate. Also, is the recount data based on a boss or a trash pull?
02-22-10, 10:59 AM   #3
Taryble
A Molten Giant

I have a feeling it may not be a flat +15%. It may be a +15% of what your crit rate already is. Blizzard is never very clear about which of these each +% abilities are.
02-26-10, 03:16 PM   #4
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

When any skill or talent in WoW reads, "...increases the {statistical} chance of {anything} by x%," what that means is that it is increasing the already existing chance by x% of that chance, not directly adding x% to that chance. The property of this phrasing is multiplicative, not additive.

To explain myself, let's say your Thunderclap was at a 5% crit chance before you spec'd into Incite. The math on Thunderclap with Incite would then be:
current crit chance + (current crit chance * .15)

or

5 + (5 * .15)

or

In this case, your crit chance only went up by .75% (not even a full percentage), and you used up three talent points to get it. Before Incite is worth anything to you, I should think you would need a significant amount of crit chance percentage.

02-27-10, 01:14 AM   #5
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Except for hit chance - hit chance talents are additive, not multiplicative.
02-27-10, 06:17 PM   #6
Artifact
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
When any skill or talent in WoW reads, "...increases the {statistical} chance of {anything} by x%," what that means is that it is increasing the already existing chance by x% of that chance, not directly adding x% to that chance. The property of this phrasing is multiplicative, not additive.

To explain myself, let's say your Thunderclap was at a 5% crit chance before you spec'd into Incite. The math on Thunderclap with Incite would then be:In this case, your crit chance only went up by .75% (not even a full percentage), and you used up three talent points to get it. Before Incite is worth anything to you, I should think you would need a significant amount of crit chance percentage.

This is incorrect for this particular talent.

Incite does increase your chance to crit by 15% for the listed abilities. A little checking around at Elitist Jerks or TankSpot will confirm this.
02-28-10, 08:47 AM   #7
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Artifact View Post
This is incorrect for this particular talent.

Incite does increase your chance to crit by 15% for the listed abilities. A little checking around at Elitist Jerks or TankSpot will confirm this.
Then he is in fact experiencing some kind of glitch. The results he is experiencing support my mathematics, but EJ and TS support yours. Perhaps the OP's crit rating was so low to begin with that all he really has is about 16-18% total? I went and looked up TS's discussion on the issue, and the only other thing I can think from reading it that would be an issue with not seeing as many results from Incite as you'd like is not having enough uptime on your Heroic Strike. Perhaps this is worth further investigation by someone who knows Warriors significantly better.

I know mana bars. You rage monkeys are curious creatures.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Warrior Problem?