10-08-11, 09:01 AM   #1
TuLe
A Black Drake

CAS (CharacterAbilitiesScheme)... help me make it!

Hey guys how u all doing! Well here's my idea! Since i bought the Razer Naga Mouse I've been playing with it and manage to bind all my characters abilities to its 17+ buttons. Things is I've got lots of characters, and man it takes a lot of human memory to remember all the abilities and its buttons presses(lol)... Ok so I've been thinking on making this simple "glossary" addon that i would pop in game to see what and where my character abilities are bided!
So I've made the UI layout and now I'm messing with addon studio so i can put all together but since i have zero exp with it, this has been a tiresome quest! Could someone give me tips on how to load the addon using a chocolate bar icon and also how to make it change all the characters abilities using say a pull down menu on the addon itself... here`s some screens to make it better to understand...

I've been searching the internet for some tutorials and really want start doing some addons of my own! If u guys can point me to valid directions it would be extremely helpful... Thanks a lot for all the help and your time!
Have a good day!
10-08-11, 01:34 PM   #2
Othgar
"That" Guy

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You may want to check out Keybind. If nothing else a look through the code might give you some ideas.

10-09-11, 02:22 AM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Don't use Addon Studio or anything of its kind. You will learn next to nothing about actually creating addons, and your code will be an unreadable bloated mess.

Also, unless you have your heart set on creating an entire addon from scratch, it would be easier and more efficient to just use an existing addon. You could easily use Macaroon to set up an 8x4 button group. Each button would behave exactly like a normal action button with regard to dragging and dropping abilities onto it and binding keys (eg. your special mouse buttons) to it. You could then set it to be hidden, and use a macro to show the bar.

There is probably a Broker addon that lets you run custom macros on click, but if there isn't, it would not be difficult to write one.

I'm not sure why you would want to look at the binding setup for any character other than the one you're playing, but you could also do that with Macaroon profiles.

The only drawback would be that you could not change the shown/hidden state of the bar while you were in combat, but you wouldn't be able to do that with your own addon either, unless you did not want it to be interactable in any way (eg. changing spells or keybindings).

Last edited by Phanx : 10-09-11 at 02:29 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » CAS (CharacterAbilitiesScheme)... help me make it!